Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

J - Refresh

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

J - Refresh

#1 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:52 pm

This is the last picture I have of my J1 on the road.

It was by this point making a rather unsatisfactory ticking noise from the engine so I knew I would have to get it sorted by taking the engine out sooner or later. It (the engine) was also looking rather tired with crud underneath and paint flaking here and there.

At about this time I was progressing with my 1100R project. I needed space in the garage so took the bike to work to store in my container. This was not the most sensible decision as although weather tight containers sweat. Everywhere that was thin on finish ended up either furry or rusty. I brought it back home once I had the space as I needed to borrow some bits here and there so I put the bike on the bench and took what was required.
I have been collecting parts lately which some of you will know about and today have started the strip down in earnest. There will be a slight twist at completion but nothing that will detract in any way from the absolute catalogue standard nature of this "survivor". During the strip I will be noting the recall fixes that I think were missed on this early bike. As it is frame 2600 it falls within all the recalls, some of which I can see and some I'm guessing at.

Anyways, here are some pictures that show the wear it has suffered and which will also come in handy for reference when I put it all back together.

I have a deadline of mid '17.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:02 am

I started work on the battery box.At 12mm long the broken bolts had hardly anything to grip. I had to be sure I could get them out without mashing the protruding part.Having access to Oxy/Acetylene comes in handy nearly every day at work.
It made short work of the broken bolts.

These bolts are NLA even where I have bought from before. They are non upset and have a captive spring and plain washer. They also have a number 4 on the head. Luckily I had some in stock which should clean up okay.

I moved on to the Igniter box which had suffered some furring. The flat parts were easy to restore, simply a gentle gong over with a scothbrite pad. They always did have that finish anyway so a couple of passes with my soft / fine pads had them looking right.
The castings though needed another method. Some time ago I bought this which is like a giant tooth brush. I only have the bristle head but other more abrasive heads are available.

chrisu

#3 PostAuthor: chrisu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:53 am

i assume its getting a rebore too.

good work chris

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:47 pm

I will see when I get there Chris.

Just tidying my work space today before yet another evening meeting and noticed this which I have never seen before.
Any clues anyone?

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Mine has 64 but on the RHS version of that bracket.

AL
1981 J1

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: tlc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:36 pm

Trying to do what I can without spending any money today I used the detailing brush on my wheels.
The ingrained brake dust came out easily from the painted parts as well as the textured finish of the spoke sides.
See what you think.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:04 pm

They look as good as new........ :D

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Is Vic There
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Is Vic There » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 pm

The wheels have come up a treat, nice one.
If you can't fin a number 4 bolt with captive washer I'm sure I have one.
Norton 850 Command, Harris Mag 2, Harris Mag 5, Triumph Steve McQueen, Suzuki RGV250 Barry Sheene, RG250 Walter Wolf, RD125LC, Lambretta Li150, Vespa 50N.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: tlc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks Ian. I did find one but Mikey will need to work his magic on it.

jphaynes669
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: jphaynes669 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Good work so far chris,
Jeff.H

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:01 am

This is now becoming painfully slow.
A couple of things have conspired to cause delay. First off was the need to replace my works van. That means transferring all the kit from one to another. This was easier than the last time but there are still some jobs to do.
Thankfully I also got a bit busier at work. These things don't pay for themselves.

The bike is now well stripped but I wanted to make a start on sub assemblies before removing the engine so to that end my first completed job is the rear wheel.
Mikey worked his magic on these parts. Just new zinc plate on sympathetically polished components and RD Cox of Reading cleaned up the sprocket hub.
Interestingly the original sprocket was good so I just cleaned it before Mikey had it. I do have an nos one in stock though.

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:39 am

Looking good Chris! Sure it didn't look that good new..

Richard L
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Richard L » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:39 am

Super work there Chris . I can fully understand the attention to detail and perfectionism , but I know that if I did it , the bike would never go anywhere ever again !
Richard

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:28 am

The wheels are fantastic - I need to try something similar with mine.
So the tool you used was just a giant tooth brush - Is it merely hand held? - ie not an electric giant tooth brush

I suspect the main factors here are patience and elbow grease

Well done anyhow - great results

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice one, I've set myself a similar date for getting my J running and rideable, though I think the only bits of mine that are actually J are the frame, crankcases, battery box, rear mudguard and maybe the petrol tank and tail piece.

Return to “Projects”