Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J and GPZ1100 projects.

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

Z1000J and GPZ1100 projects.

#1 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:15 pm

The short version of quite a long story is - I bought the Z1000J and GPZ1100 about 3 years ago as a package deal including nearly a whole spare motor. After a lot of messing about and finishing other projects I decided to see what the score was.
So I used a spanner on the end of the crankshaft to try to turn the Z1000J - it would only move a fraction of an inch either way! Oh dear this does not look good. So I start to disassemble the top of the motor - cam cover off - and to my surprise NO CAMCHAIN! The camshafts are in place but no chain!
So I take the head off and use a telescopic magnet to find the chain and pull it up the tunnel Still no rotation of the crank?
So I take the barrels off - to find that the pistons are in the bores but NOT ATTACHED to the con rods!?
And still not able to turn the crank!?
So I pull the motor from the frame and take the sump off - to find the camchain has managed to lock around the crankshaft sprocket and onto itself in a tight loop!
Once this was freed off - I found that it now had a kink in it ! It had locked the teeth from one side of the sprocket to the teeth on the other!
I have never come across this before !
I hope that I have found all of the Previous Owners little suprises - we will see!

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:17 pm

You could hardly make it up!
The motor was obviously loosely put together in order to fool potential buyers into thinking everything was working ok!
I recall the seller saying that because the bikes were stored in remote lockups and had flat batteries, they could not be started!
I always try to think that other people are as honest as I am - and it can bite you!
I am not that disappointed really as I had planned to have a proper look at the motors to see what sort of condition they were in.
The GPZ1100 engine has had fewer issues, I have only took the cylinder head off to look at the bores, pistons and valves - all look ok.
But I will probably go for 1170 big bore kits for both (already sourced a set of 1089 barrels for the J).
The GPZ will probably end up with period type mods - as some OE parts are either really hard to find or too expensive for my pockets.
The 1000J I intend to do a bit more to.
Photos to follow!

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:49 am

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:56 am

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:50 am

There's some interesting things going on there between the two sets of photos'.
Is that a Unitrak bottom end in one of them? KZT10BE-xxxxx
What was the stud for, welded to the side of the frame where someone added some bracing? Thers's some curious looking under-bracing on the swingarm too.

AL
1981 J1

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Zorded, well spotted !
I had not noticed the things you have!
I will have a look in the morning when I can see and get back to you with photos or details.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:41 am

zorded wrote:There's some interesting things going on there between the two sets of photos'.
What was the stud for, welded to the side of the frame where someone added some bracing? Thers's some curious looking under-bracing on the swingarm too. AL

Looks like lay down shock mounts if there's also one on the other side.

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Well congrats to ZORDED for the eagle eyes on the photos!
I have been out and checked the engine number of the motor in the GPZ1100 and it is a Unitrak bottom end at the least!
The engine number starts KZ10BE
I was wondering what was different as the shape of the pistons was wrong! I was going to check to see if they were aftermarket over- size but it now appears they are Unitrak items.

Also the stud welded to the side of the frame near the back (which I had not paid any attention to) does appear to be an alternative supper shock mount as there is an identical one on the other side!

Lastly (and again not noticed by me!) the swingarm does appear to have had some bracing welded on to it.
I have taken some more photos and will post them when Photobucket has finished uploadeing them!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:47 pm

It's most likely a complete uni motor inc head.
The angle of the pistons valve pockets are different to the "J" and using the wrong head can cause valve to piston contact... i.e bent valves.
Post a pic of the head, it will be obvious if it's a UNI.

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Z1015.
I have been out to the garage and looked at the head.
As you suggested, it appears to be a whole Uni engine.
The head has twin swirl combustion chambers as you pointed out
Also as you pointed out in the other head thread - I found the A stamped in the right hand two inlet tracts just after the end of the rubbers.

It was the difference in heads that had me a bit worried as I had found serious issues with the J motor I bought of the same guy. I wanted to be sure he had not simply put a J or B head on the Uni bottom end!

So at least I am sure of what I am dealing with now - its condition may be another thing entirely!
Thanks again for your help and expertise. :D

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:02 pm

As Zorded spotted, lugs welded on both sides of rear frame for alternative shock mounting.

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Swingarm with bracing ;

spondonges
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: spondonges » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 am

VinnyE

Are you after a stock Gpz1100 B1 frame with log book as I have one. ?
It's painted in purple for some reason so would need a shotblast and repaint.

I'd be interested in having your altered Gpz1100 frame if it has a log book too? as a straight swap.
I'd rather be riding my Z1 thinking about God than sitting in a church thinking about my Z1..

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks for the offer - I will have to think about it?

Return to “Projects”