Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1A restoration

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

Re: Z1A restoration

#16 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:19 pm

As some of you seen I hit a set back when I learn't that the engine cases are machined together. By mistake I made a crack in the lower case and replaced it by a fresh case side, meaning I have two mismatched cases.
However I've followed zed1015's superb guidelines to see if I could use the replaced case or if I have to weld the cracked case. I have a few more measures to take but it is looking good so my hopes are that I can use the fresh lower case. Here's the thread where zed1015 helped me out http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=339093#p339093.
Z1 Moto Martin
Z1A
Z1000 A2
Husaberg FE350

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm

I started to clean bits to the carbs. Lots of dirt...
Parts are mostly okey, but many will need a fresh coat of zink plating.
20170312_135128.jpg

20170312_135133.jpg

The bike is a late 74, frame numer 33' something, meaning it has the later carbs. Not the carbs with a float with center bolt. That what z1enterprises guide said, but now I can't find the guide? There was other useful information there, anyone now what happed to their year guides?
Z1 Moto Martin

Z1A

Z1000 A2

Husaberg FE350

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:31 am

z1bman wrote:https://www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/extensions/components/content-component/article-categories/92-z1-carb

Thanks!
Above link draws a straight line between 74 och 75 but z1enterprises stated a framenumber in 74 after which all had the later carbs. Will do some more investigation and see what I can come up with.
Z1 Moto Martin

Z1A

Z1000 A2

Husaberg FE350

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

#20 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm

The final measurements has been taken on the engine cases and it has been dry assembled with internals to secure that the mismatched case fits. And it does. Very smooth assembly and no force needed to get the cases together. Case bolts wasn't harder on any side indicating offset either.
All case covers was mounted to secure that the sides was inline and no issues there.

I put the cylinder, cylinder head and cover in place to get a feeling for what the result is going to look like. Judge by yourself but I'm definetly satisfied. Great job from Aquanife water polishing it. If you don't want to send your parts to Denmark you could buy a complete blasting unit from him. https://www.facebook.com/AquaNife/ or http://www.notesracing.dk/.

20170315_214408.jpg

20170315_214458.jpg
Z1 Moto Martin

Z1A

Z1000 A2

Husaberg FE350

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

#21 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Back to the dating issue. I found another source, an ebay link. http://www.ebay.com/gds/KAWASAKI-Z1-900-CARBURATORS-TO-ID-CARBS-/10000000007737625/g.html According to the link bikes with chassis nr higher than Z1F-32817 should have the newer kind of carbs.
I found date stamps on the carbs. 45 which would be May 1974. I compared it with a set of the older carb type I have (in pretty bad shape), stamped 38, August 1973.

20170315_132051.jpg

20170315_132129.jpg

My plan was to use parts from the older set to get the correct carbs going. I will need the chocke axle and chocke levers but it feels a bit sad braking a 73 carbs. Any one having carb spares or know if newer parts from a 26mm carb will fit?

When I started the renovation the value of a z1a was not very high, around £5000 in Sweden and a bit higher in UK/Europe. Therefore I have not searched fully for correct stamped items if I already had parts but with wrong stamps.
Since then it seams as the prices has increased making it more attractive to have the correct date stamps on parts.
Let me know your opinon! Is it worth to find correct stamped parts or should I go with parts with wrong date stamps, or even repro parts? Which parts are most important to have correct? Wheels? Swingarm? Brake tourque arm? Control switches? Others?
Z1 Moto Martin

Z1A

Z1000 A2

Husaberg FE350

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: ollie » Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey Fred ,its looking good :D ,sorry not been in touch for a while ,illness in the family
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

FreddaAbborre
Regular Poster

#23 PostAuthor: FreddaAbborre » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

It has not an update for quite some time. Simply because I havn't done anything with the resto.

But now its time to start making some progress again. A bit broken in my body making me focusing on acquring the last missing items. But I need your help on a few topics. Have in mind my previous question regarding the valuations of these bikes - will it have a significant impact ofthe value if I will go with pattern/repro parts instead of restoring orignal parts.

Master cylinder front
I have a 5/8 master cylinder and if I'm not wrong that would be for a duel caliper system. As I'm aming for a original bike I will go with the single brake caliper. Will it work with a single caliper? It is an non reproduction, is this the rare sought after master cylinder? Will it make more sense to sell this one and start hunting for a standard 1/2 master cylinder (it is 1/2 right?)?

Brake caliper
What makes most sense, restoring the old caliper (new piston, seals and powder coating) or buying a new repro? Is this repro a good alternative at its apealing price? http://www.z-power.co.uk/z900-z1-z1a-z1 ... -left-z1ab

Brake hose
Should I use stock-type rubber hose or go with the more saftety inspired alternative and usea braided brake hose (preferably covered in shrink hose/equvialent to give it a more rubber-ish look).

Exhaust
I have two sets of 4-4 original systems. Which is the correct data stampings for a Z1A? Both systems will need a rechrome and some minor work to be suitable for this renovation. Any recommendations for a good company for this type of work?
Or is it a better option to buy a repro system?

Meters
The original meters wasn't in a very good condition. What is the best alternative on this topic? Should I have them restored at a probably high cost? Buy a decent set of stock meters and have them restored? Buy new repros?

Data coded parts; swing arm, wheels, etc etc. Is it worth the hassle to get parts with the correct stampings? Will it affect the value?

That would be all for now...
Z1 Moto Martin

Z1A

Z1000 A2

Husaberg FE350

Return to “Projects”