Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Period Ride

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

Period Ride

#1 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Due to unforeseen circumstances the J I was helping a friend do has come to a halt for an unknown period of time.
Now since the MkII is pretty well sorted and I'm using it as a daily I figured it was time for the A1 to undergo a touch up.
The theme for this one is black and period, as in nothing modern only parts / mods from that era. I'm looking at a bit of performance....... nah actually I want plenty of performance but not the performance enhanced by modern engineering. Thats available in todays bikes so why go there in my view.
To date the motor is out of the frame, head is off and getting soda blasted in between me doing the gardens ( 1/2 acre of lush greenery to look after too !! ).
The PO had the motor painted in the crinkle black which in my view is blahhhh. So this will be getting the standard black paint job once my engineering wizard has waved his magic wand.
The panels and tank have gone off, was a bit touch and go with some rust near the badge mounts and bubbling paint. Had the tank blasted then pressure tested and thankfully all is good. The gear is getting painted in satin black along with a stone style bikini fairing.
Ace bars will be fitted and am on the look out for 'period' front master cylinder that doesn't poke into the tacho face like the original master cylinder does.
I was only going to do the motor and paint but the more I look at it the more I am thinking of frame bracing and 2 pack painting after blasting.
The bike ran like a cut snake beforehand but will be looking for a little more juice out of her, will decide whether to just do head and cam work or go up in piston sizing. Ive been pretty ignorant on that front in my life and just usually say do something to the ending to make it go so any ideas will be taken on board.
There will be a 4 into 1 fitted, I did have a V&H lined up in the states but the seller seemed to have gone quiet on that one so am looking at the Delkevic system with the classic straight silencer fitted. ( I'd love a Kerker but ... )
If anyone can think of or has ideas on a period build that was done to their ride back in the day let me know. Yes I could patch on a later swingerarm, I could change the front end I could also just go out and by them in todays market, that is NOT what this bulld is about.

Been slack with photos but for now here is how it was before heart surgery.

Nico

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Swirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

I've a set of forged high Cr 71mm pistons cme out of my 1045, not a lot of use, replaced most of the stuff ripped the engine down, was going to use them in my other engine but gone back to 903, sat on the shelf gathered dust may sell for beer tokens

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

Re: Period Ride

#3 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Swirl wrote:I've a set of forged high Cr 71mm pistons cme out of my 1045, not a lot of use, replaced most of the stuff ripped the engine down, was going to use them in my other engine but gone back to 903, sat on the shelf gathered dust may sell for beer tokens

I'll pm you if I go that way, just need to work out shipping from up there to down here blah blah but cheers for the offer
Nico

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Not too much progress has been made apart from getting the paintwork back. Alas on inspection there was a hiccup with the tail piece and a very embarrassed painter has taken that bad to be redone. I have sourced a local bloke who does vapour blasting, everyone else I talked to said that its best to have the motor fully stripped for blasting whereas this guy does it fully assembled, So I am in the process of dowelling a few passages and making blanks fro the inlet / exhaust ports then its off for blasting,
Still looking at the frame, it doesn't look too bad, a light rub down with 400 then a touch up with rattle can should suffice for this build as it will be the daily. I'm a bit over the place with this one, nowhere near as methodical and organised as the MkII but meh what the hell.
A few pics of the satin black - :

Nico

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:23 pm

A little hiccup.
On removal of the motor I found one of the two bolts holding the right lower engine mount plate had snapped. Worse still was someone had 'glued' the bolt head onto the snapped portion FFS. And even worse still was a drill hole had been started that was completely bloody off-centre.
So step one - drill out larger and try an ezy-out but that failed. Step two was to drill it all the way out which took lots of patience and a few drill bits.

Now with he original guide hole being off centre I think too much meet has gone from the reel to be able to re-tap for another bolt. So two options

1. Use a long bolt that goes right through, flat washer, spring washer and nut then torque up
or
2. Grind the weld to tap out the threaded reel, source or machine and tap up a new reel and weld back in.

Is there any issue with using option 1 considering there is two support bolts and could even use a high tensile bolt. Didn't seem to be an issue with the bloody bolt head glued on.....
This is the reel ( or bobbin) I am referring too. - Pic lifted from the web because I forget about photos when drilling, hammering and cursing

download/file.php?mode=view&id=354
Attachments
frame3.jpg
Nico

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Things are moving along quite nicely, frame has been blasted and undercoated. Too much rain around at the moment to spray it with two pack, hopefully the weather gets better in the next week or so.

IMG_2941.JPG

In the meantime the engine has been completely stripped, degreased and dropped off for vapour blasting. All internals look spot on, just one fin with a small break off to be built up. Also the raised part for the locking bolt on the tacho drive has snapped so will try weld that as well.
IMG_2952.JPG

(** Don't know why the frame pic is upside down. When I click on it to expand it the photo is correct way up !! )
Nico

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

There's always a eerie anticipation on what lurks under a cr@ppy ripple paint job on the motor. I already knew there was a smallish portion of a fin to repair on the barrel,
IMG_0083.JPG

But when we got to the head things began to get interesting
IMG_0078.JPG

The classic wad of resin had been thumbed in and roughly shaped at some stage in a past life then some good old shite ripple paint applied to hide the sins. when the paint was off it was a little more obvious
IMG_0079.JPG

Got rid of that dusty crud quick smart and this is what we are left with to build up on, not too bad
IMG_0080.JPG

So the head and barrel will go of to get welded then refreshened at Rays here in Perth while I start the painting on the bottom end. Going full black with exposed fin edges and polished ends on the cam cover as the MkII was done on this to compliment the Satin Black paint work.
IMG_0087.JPG

Gasket set, metal badges, a few other bits n pieces are on their way from Tasmania and a Delkevic 4 into 1 with the short straight silencer is on its way from Brisbane if it hasn't been flooded before they sent it !!!
Just think, this originally was just going to be a quick freshen up, motor out motor in job. Yeah right.....
Nico

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Great project base, hope you get the frame mount issue sorted.

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Took me a while to find this thread, didn't realise its been that long. Its been a wet long winter down here but finally getting some decent weather to lift the covers off things and getting the drive back to continuing down the rebuild road.
Barrels have been measured, honed and cleaned up. Head work also complete with valve work complete, a quick polish job and a couple of broken fins built back up. Been waiting a few weeks to get the weather just right to paint barrel and heads. I'm using the same method I did on the MKII, its got over 10,000kms on it and the paintwork on the engine is still as good as day dot. No fancy paint booth here, just make sure the wind is down, sit the gear out in the sun for a few hours to get the heat right throughout then a fine coat of KBS Motor Coater. Repeat 3 times and then leave sitting for a month or so before running up engine.

Looks ok in the shed tonight but will look again out in the sun tomorrow, may go one more coat, then will polish off the edges on the head to give it that just nice look.

IMG_3828.jpg

Also have a set of MkII mag wheels ( along with forks, triple trees and callipers ) on the way here, don't know what I will use of it, case of wait and see.
Nico

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: ollie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm

:up looking good Nico :wink:
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Another Zed bloke on the other side of the country was offloading some parts to finance his J project so figured I'd grab them and see what I could use on the A1. Thinking I might go the mags and leave the wire wheels in the shed for now.
Rotors are 6mm without grooves and will totally rebuild and repaint the calipers. Spares cant be a bad thing and if need be can be used as a bartering tool for other parts required.

parts.jpg
Nico

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am

Bloody hell I didn't realise how long its been, definitely not a rush job this one.
Finally have the motor totally rebuilt, just need to get some stainless bolts for covers etc to totally finish it. Pretty standard with the motor as she ran well to begin with, just needed a clean, broken fins repaired, repaint and give the head some loving before putting back together
0 - 1 (2).jpg

0 - 1 (3).jpg

0 - 1 (4).jpg

0 - 1 (5).jpg

It's been a reasonably mild summer this year so spent a lot of time in the yard and out riding the other bikes. Bit hard where I am as its near the hills so when working around the house all I hear is bikes going up through the hills for a ride, commitment to the task at hand isn't one of my strongest traits.
Finally though have set up the shed to do some spray painting
28379661_345631365934060_6644217119003361954_n.jpg
28379661_345631365934060_6644217119003361954_n.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 8120 times

And finally got the first coat of Satin Black on today. Satin to match the tank and covers, only shiny bits on this one will be the alloy and chrome

0 - 1 (1).jpg

Respect to the masters of painting frames, getting into all the tight spots without creating runs takes time and patience, especially behind the head stock. I managed to only get one run that will be sanded back but still need to get that top coat on right.
Nico

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: deka » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice work
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

nicomkii
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: nicomkii » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

I have been slowly plodding away in the back ground on the the old girl. I do a bit of Adv riding which takes up a bit of shed time and having to earn an income to pay for these bad habits doesn't leave to much idle time. have the engine in frame now, sadly a few scratches so ave bought an airbrush for a few touch up jobs.

0 - 1 (62).jpg

Re assembled the front wheel and fitted the tyre. Forks on and front end put together.
just having a spacer machined for the rear wheel and hopefully will have her rolling in the next few days if I can sneak into the shed. Grannies visiting for xmas so what be getting too much done.

20181210_191117.jpg
Nico

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Now that's nice!

Lower bars though perhaps.
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B