Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Finished at last!

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Rob McCool
new poster

Finished at last!

#1 PostAuthor: Rob McCool » Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 pm

I`ve finally completed my imported KZ1000 K2 LTD :roll: .I purchased it from DK motorcycles in late 2014 thinking this won`t take long to get up to scratch,registered and on the road..How wrong I was-two and a half years later I`ve finally finished-I had to source many parts from the US as well as ebay,Z power and John Browse.It`s mainly standard except for replacing the standard twin horn with a single chrome one which looks pretty good I think.
At first glance the bike did`nt look too bad but upon closer inspection had probably been damaged in transit from the US,the front light was completely missing and the front fender was damaged,the clock mount was snapped and I eventually got this welded as a replacement was silly money..The clutch adjuster was a total mess and it took me a while to find the small cover for the adjusting screw.The rear light was replaced with one off a KZ1000 CSR which seems the same,just tinted.I had the electrics sorted which was also a bigger job than I anticipated due to the strange US wiring system-a model specific laminated wiring diagram from kojaycat sorted that problem out though.The chrome is decent,the tank was spotless inside and the exhausts are excellent-a bit of a surprise as the bike is from Minnesota which is`nt a particularly warm place I believe.I had the carbs rebuilt which was a headache,the vacuum diaphragms were quite expensive and I had to replace leaky carb connectors which I found in the US.I was then able to get the bike MOT`ed on the vIn number and the same with the insurance-I had the original US documents so was pleased to get an age related registration which I`ve ordered in pressed aluminium-as soon as it arrives it`s time to finally get out on the road! :D I`ve attached some before and after pictures.
20170324_185225.jpg
20170324_185250.jpg
Attachments
20141108_121328.jpg
20141108_121437.jpg

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: Finished at last!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Good work lad - hope the weather gets better and you can enjoy a long hot summer!
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Fri May 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Looks nice and tidy, well done on a good job.

Rob McCool
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: Rob McCool » Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks,I`m looking forward to this summer,getting some miles on the bike-only thing is,I enjoyed tinkering with and tidying the bike up so much I`ve started looking around for something else to have a go at-but I have noticed first generation Z`s seem so expensive these days even for rough one`s. :cry:

Return to “Projects”