Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Another up and running

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

Another up and running

#1 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 pm

After getting another thou in April, and suffering some disappointment thanks to P.O, like badly abused head and carbs, i decided to source replacements, so a big thank you to Gary D who supplied a motor in bits but with the head re-furbed by buzzard, just needed putting together and a small weld to an exhaust stud hole which i had done locally £20, numerous shim swaps thanks to Jerry, carbs were stripped and soaked and treated rebuild kits, these are the pilot screws and had been somewhat over tightened, you can see the shoulders on them, they protruded into the carb throats about 1.5mm, so new ones set at 2 turns out. I also have another set of carbs thanks to Jay1969 if i need them.

So all back together and would it run, hell no would barely start, dyna s installed, no change, off with the carbs again and i bought a 3 litre sonic cleaner and i did not believe the amount of crap that came out of them, i also noticed the enricher jets in the float bowls were blocked solid 3 x 20 minute sessions in the cleaner at 80 celcius and some compressed air finally did the trick, so back together set the screws at 2 again some petrol and away she went, timed up, vac testers on showing a 1hg difference i put the color tunes in had them for many years and this is the first time i have used them, took them out to yellow then slightly back to blue, unfortunately the damage done to the screw seats now means they are between 2 and a 1/4 turns to 3 turns out, took the motor steadily up through the rev range and maintained the blue colour, just a couple of wiring issues to fix now and then an MOT.
Attachments
DSC00129.JPG
DSC00127.JPG
DSC00126.JPG

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Another up and running

#2 PostAuthor: garyd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 am

Good to hear it's up and running.

And always a relief to know the engine was a good'un.

Now let's see a pic of the complete bike.
Last edited by garyd on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Gary i have not used the whole motor, just the head will be moving the rest on at some stage, and re-furbing my old head, Motor running today just warming up, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoecOGzmUwE

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Passed MOT today checked plugs when i got back, almost white so upping the jets by 2 sizes each from 15 pilot to 20 and 107.5 main to 112.5. good to have it running reasonably well.

Return to “Projects”