Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000ST Restauration

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Z1000ST Restauration

#1 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Guys

I started the restauration of a '79 ( E1) Z1000 ST.
I bought the bike in 2012 and used it as a donor bike. Throughout the years all that left was a frame and the bottom end of the engine.
In the spring of this year I had the opportunity to buy 10 boxes of ST parts and decided to rebuilt/restore the Z1000 ST. Not just a rebuild, no I decided to make it a bit special. :idea
I decided to mount the windscreen and the exhaust of a Z1-R on it with an adapted paint scheme. The colors will be black and dark grey metallic with silver striping instead of the golden striping that all the ST models have.
I invite you all to join me on this restauration.
DSCN2995.JPG

Here's a picture of the pile of parts, it's more than one basket as you can see.

As usual I start with the engine, it's taken apart completely, the cases are stripped of their old paint and resprayed with a high temperature paint. I use the paint set of Restom, a French brand which I've been using since years with good results.
DSCN2996.JPG
the painted cranckcases

When I start the engine rebuilt I put the upper crackcase upside down.
The first step is to install the cranckshaft with a new camchain
DSCN3000.JPG
the new camchain with 124 links

Make sure that all the set pins (9), the two knock pins, the two set rings and a new O ring are in the upper cranckcase!
DSCN2999.JPG
the upper cranckcase with all the pins,rings and O ring

It's a bit tricky to install the heavy cranckshaft, make sure that the holes in the bearings are aligned with the set pins! I turn the bearings one by one to align them and in the end the cranckshaft slides into place.
DSCN3001.JPG
the crackshaft is in place

Now it's time to install the main bearing cap, there's an arrow on it pointing to the front .
Fit the four bolts and tighten them to the right torque ( 18.0 ft-lbs) . Mind the right order of the bolts, start right under and work clockwise!
DSCN3003.JPG
the main bearing cap installed

Then it's time to place the drive shaft
Again, take care to put the set pin in the hole of the bearing and the set ring in the groove of the other bearing.
DSCN3004.JPG
the drive shaft installed

Now it's time for the output shaft.
DSCN3005.JPG
the output shaft installed

Finally the kickstart shaft
DSCN3006.JPG
the kickstart shaft installed

Next time the lower cranckcase.
I'll be back soon.
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000ST Restauration

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 pm

These are a underated but very good bike...good work..
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello I'm back

The lower cranckcase must be prepared now.
I start by putting the shift drum half way in, then I install the 4th/5th gear shift fork and secure it by it's bolt and lockwasher. The bolt goes into the middle groove of the shift drum.
DSCN3007.JPG
the shift drum half way in

Then I put the shift drum in place and turn in the shift drum guide bolt with it's lockwasher.
DSCN3008.JPG
the shift drum installed

Now it's time to put the shift rod with it's two shift forks in place, the two forks are the same.
DSCN3009.JPG
the shift rod and forks installed

Finally it's time to put the cranckcase halfs together.
Apply a thin coat of liquid gasket on the upper cranckcase , put the lower one upon it making sure that all the shift forks are in place. To achieve that make sure that the shift drum is in the "Neutral" position.
DSCN3010.JPG
a coat of liquid gasket

DSCN3011.JPG
the "Neutral" position of the shift drum,

DSCN3012.JPG
the three shift forks are in position

Then it's time to bolt the halves together, starting with the crackshaft bolts and later the other, smaller bolts.
DSCN3013.JPG
the big cranckshaft bolts

DSCN3014.JPG
the smaller bolts

Now I can install the oil pump, make sure there's a new O ring and that the two knock pins are in place before installing it.
DSCN3015.JPG
the oil pump installed

Finally I can close the cranckcase. A new O ring and a new gasket are needed.
DSCN3016.JPG
the new O ring and gasket

That's all for today, after all what can one do on a sunday??? :D
More to come soon.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

rickm
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: rickm » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Great thread, thanks Philippe :up
H2B GPZ900R

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 am

Nice project which I am watching with interest as I have an ST which has been in boxes since '96 and I will get around to rebuilding at some point.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 am

Hi guys

@ rickm: thanks
@ PAULJAC47 : I agree, they are great to ride !
@ Ultim8pc: go for it, buy a shop manual and a parts list,take the parts out of their boxes, get it back together and ENJOY !!! :D

Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 am

Philippe wrote:Hi guys
@ Ultim8pc: go for it, buy a shop manual and a parts list,take the parts out of their boxes, get it back together and ENJOY !!! :D

Indeed! I do have an original service manual and the bike has no parts missing. However, I have a z900a4 and a z1000a1 project to get out of the way first!
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi
I understand . So many projects, so little time... :P
good luck with the Z 900A4 and the Z1000A1.
GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Guys

I"m back with some news.
The previous time I ended with showing you the new O ring and the new gasket for the oil pan.
The oil pan is installed now and protecting the oil pump.
DSCN3017.JPG
the oil pan installed

I don't put the oil filter in untill the engine is installed in the frame, it gives me just those few centimeters more to make the installation easier.
I allso opened up the clutch to separate the plates, they have a tendency to stick to each other thus preventing the clutch to disengage. It happens often when an engine didn't ran for several years.
I put new oil on their surfaces and mount them again.
DSCN3019.JPG
the clutch plates

Then it was time to mount the shift shaft. After mounting a lot of bolts, springs and washers the work was done and the front bevel gear case could be mounted on the engine.
DSCN3040.JPG
the shift shaft is in place

DSCN3041.JPG
the front bevel gear case installed

Then I decided to mount the oil pressure switch, it's easier to do this before the cilinder block is mounted.
DSCN3042.JPG
the oil pressure switch

For the moment I'm waiting for new piston rings to arrive.
Since work on the engine couldn't proceed I started on the frame.
You'll be amazed of the amount of dust and grease you can find on a 38 years old frame :eek
DSCN3043.JPG
the frame as I found it

After degreasing and cleaning I started to remove the old paint.
I use simple tools, it takes a few days but the result is stunning.
DSCN3044.JPG
after four hours work

On friday the frame was clean, it was degreased again with aceton and spray painted.
DSCN3050.JPG
the fresly painted frame

To paint the frame I use two ropes by whitch it hangs on the ceiling.
DSCN3051.JPG
now the front is lowered

DSCN3052.JPG
and now the back is lowered

The ropes run through 4 hooks so I'm able to lower the frame in the front and in the back.
It makes the work easier to reach all the hard to reach places.
When you spray paint a frame yourself take a very good look before you clean your spraygun, you might have missed a spot! :oops:
That's all for now.
I'll be back soon
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am

Great stuff Phillippe - good of you to take the time to document the rebuild :up
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

Interesting that you paint the frame Philippe (as Original), most these days just go with the default Powdercoat.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Guys

@ Pigford: I hope, by taking pictures, to give others some ideas when they're restoring a Zed.
@ Gary : I don't like powder coating, it blocks the screwholes, gets on the frame mounted bolts and it's often too thick, :evil: but that's just my opinion, other people do like it...
After all the world would be a boring place if we all had the same opinion...
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Hallo I'm back

last week I did some work on the small parts of the bike that have to recieve a satin black paint job
It's time consuming but the preparation of the parts is critical for the outcome.
All the parts are stripped to the bare metal, degreased with aceton and provided with a hook to hang them for the fresh paint to cure.
Of some parts, like the calipers, some areas are protected in order to avoid paint getting into them.
DSCN3060.JPG
the stripped parts waiting for a coat of fresh paint

As you can see I use a drying device, it gives me the possibility to store a lot of parts on a small place.
No I didn't took it from my wife... :twisted:
I'm using a two component epoxy paint but it has only a shining rate of 10 %. The gloss depends allso of the amount of hardener I use. The more hardener, the glossier it becomes. I usually take 30% hardener.
DSCN3061.JPG
the freshly painted parts

The result of 1,5 hour of painting.
Tomorrow the paint will be dry and hard because I keep the light on in order to get the chemical reaction going on.
Yes paint dries faster when there's UV light shining on it :whoa
More to come soon!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Good work Phil,whats the z scene like in Belgium,matter of interest!
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.

Anon

PUM 673

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Pauljac47

in Belgium there is a Z-club in the province of Limburg (North-East of Belgium). They have a website and organise a meeting once a year (end of August-beginning of September). I'm not a member of the club and I never went to the meeting.
There's, to my knowledge, no Z-forum in Belgium. I know a lot of guys who own one or more old Z bikes and I meet them sometimes.
Once a year there's a meeting of owners of classic japanese bikes. The organiser of that meeting is Jean who lives in Ittre ( near Brussels). The bikes of the four great Japanese manufactorys are very well represented there.
There's not really a Z-scene in Belgium....
I find the majority of my information concerning the old Z-bikes on the German forum "Kawasaki-z-classiker" . A real gold mine of knowledge concerning the Z bikes. I publish some of my restorations on that forum but my knowledge of the German language is poor... :blush
I find a lot of information concerning the Z-bikes in books, mostly written in English( my knowledge of the English language is a little bit better :oops:).
I hope I answered your question and that you're satisfied with the answer.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe

Return to “Projects”