Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Time to rebuild my old GPz

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

Re: Time to rebuild my old GPz

#31 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm

chrisNI wrote:
Pigford wrote:
gpjes wrote:
chrisw1 wrote:Brilliant bikes .....here is mine for some some inspiration
Is this Andy Whitley & his kwack 1100R in this pic? :D

Don't look like Andy - He's got a Z1R he sprints, but haven't heard from him in a while?

Andy WHITTLE Z1-R... :shock:

Thats my Z1000r2 in the pic .......and my mate Ken

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#32 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Finally, after 10 months, I got the rolling chassis back a couple of weeks ago - now setup with the new forks/yokes/wheels/brakes and modified swingarm. As always with these things, there's a couple of bits to tidy up and get them how I want them.

I couldn't resist just placing the old bodywork on to see how it looked and whilst it may not look that much at the moment, I can see the beginnings of the bike I'm trying to build :D

IMAG3992.jpg

IMAG3993.jpg

IMAG4067.jpg
Last edited by GPZ592 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen

trogg 41
Regular Poster

#33 PostAuthor: trogg 41 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:52 pm

if you need any engine parts i have a spare engine the head is off at the moment for a new headgasket but its all there im only after £100 quid for it

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#34 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 am

if you need any engine parts i have a spare engine the head is off at the moment for a new headgasket but its all there im only after £100 quid for it

Thanks, but I've got 2 engines already !

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#35 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Not a huge amount of progress in the last couple of weeks - just some tidying up from the frame modifications.

The last digit of the frame number (1) had been damaged during the work on the frame and the new stop for the ignition lock was only usable on one side (on right lock, the gap was so great it meant you could still straighten the bars), which wasn't how I wanted it.

I had to get the replacement forks/yokes checked for true, so I took them and the frame to Maidstone Motoliner, who I've used before with excellent results, and asked them if they could help. That was on Monday - on Friday I got a call from Tom at MM to say it was all done ! Not only did they check the forks/yokes, but they replaced the ignition lock stop and recovered the damaged "1" on the frame number :D What service - It's good to know there are decent guys out there who can help when you're in a fix :up

Here's some before & after pics................

Damaged frame number

Frame No.jpg

Ignition lock before

IMAG3996.jpg

Ignition lock after (with "recovered" frame number)

IMAG4102.jpg
Last edited by GPZ592 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#36 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am

I received a nice parcel today containing the rebuilt rear shock :)

It's a WP unit I fitted back in the late 80's and with a service, new seals & new bumpstop, it's ready to go - or it will be when the rest of the bike is ready. At least that's 1 piece of the jigsaw done, only 9999 bits to go........................................

IMAG4118.jpg
Last edited by GPZ592 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#37 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:31 pm

Have you ever had one of those projects where it seems fated not to go right ? Well my 550 rebuild is starting to make me think it's one of those.................................

I delivered the engine cases and Harris exhaust, for cleaning & painting to the same company I used for the 750 engine in my P&M (which I was very happy with). That was a couple of weeks before Christmas and I only got them back last week :shock: As if that wasn't bad enough, when I unwrapped and loosely assembled the engine cases up, it resembled a patchwork quilt :(

All the engine should be a satin black with gloss outer covers, but the head/ barrels were gloss, the 2 crankcase halves were different shades of satin, there was far too much paint on the rocker cover and missing patches elsewhere - all in all a really bad job. Needless to say, I got my money back, plus the cases being cleaned back to metal again for free. I'm getting tired of this now - companies taking months to do stuff and then it comes back not as it should :(

I was farming out the work to try and save time and complete the rebuild quicker, but that hasn't worked, so I'm going to do what I should have done at the start and do it myself. Might not be as good as a "professional", but it can't be any worse :D

Anyway, here's a few pics of the the engine as I received it from the "professionals" - they don't really show the full horror,s as pictures cannot show everything you see with the eye

IMAG4397.jpg

IMAG4396.jpg

IMAG4393.jpg

IMAG4395.jpg
Last edited by GPZ592 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#38 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:02 am

Hi GPZ592
when I look at the pictures of your painted engine I'm glad you took the right decision. Do it yourself, it can't be worse. And it won't be!
I guess the company painted your engine parts at different times, using different badges of paint.
When using a two component paint (paint and hardener), the amount of hardener has influence on the amount of gloss, the more hardener, the more gloss...
So if you're going to do the paintwork yourself: prepare enough paint to spray all the engine parts at once.
If there's mixed paint left over after the job, throw it away, I know it's a waste of money but it's lost anyway.
I 'm using a two component heat resistant paint from "restom". It comes as a kit, one paint with hardener for the cases, one paint without hardener for the head and barrels. It's developed for alloy casings.
If you want glossy parts, use the clear coat of the same company for those parts after you sprayed them black.
Just remember that preparing an engine to be painted, takes more work and time than painting it.
Degreasing and taping off the parts that shouldn't receive paint can take hours but it's worth the work and time.
Good luck with the job.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#39 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks , Phillippe.

A number of people have used Simoniz "Tough Black" with reasonable results as well. As that is a spray can, it's easier for me than mixing paint and using a spray gun :)

Mark.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 am

Hi Mark
I hope you get the shades correct.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

scott
Junior Section leader

#41 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:14 pm

Good project this. I have to open up a set of Gpz1100B2 clocks. I presume they come apart the same way as the 550 clocks. Err, how do they come apart without breaking things??

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#42 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:45 pm

I have to open up a set of Gpz1100B2 clocks. I presume they come apart the same way as the 550 clocks. Err, how do they come apart without breaking things??

I'm not near my garage for a couple of days, but iirc there are 2 or 3 screws on the underside that releases the outer cover and that exposes the screws to release the top cover. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'll post some photos when I get back in my garage.

Mark.

scott
Junior Section leader

#43 PostAuthor: scott » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks Mark, it makes perfect sense. I’ll get my screwdriver and hammers. :lol:

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#44 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:43 am

scott wrote:Thanks Mark, it makes perfect sense. I’ll get my screwdriver and hammers. :lol:

Send 'em to BunnyZ.

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

#45 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:24 pm

So, it's been nearly a year since I last updated this thread and in an ideal world, I'd be posting pictures of me riding my finished 550................ but this isn't an ideal world :(

A couple of my other bikes required time & money spent on them at the back end of last year, so the poor 550 went to the back of the queue (again !). I did make some progress earlier in the year and found a company that painted the engine cases for me and this time, they turned out fine :D But every time I looked at the rolling chassis, I was reminded at the amount of work still to do to make the new forks/yokes/swingarm/wheels fit in correctly. Sorting out where all the ancilleries would fit as the clocks/headlight/indicators/ign switch, etc all hang off the original forks & yokes. Where to mount the mudguard and which type to use. It was similar at the back end with the modified swingarm - a multitude of small jobs left to do. I didn't seem to be making progress and I just wanted to get the bike built and on the road. So, I've decided to shelve the plan to use more modern running gear for the time being and refurbish the standard setup as it will be simpler all round and hopefully, means I will get the bike finished and on the road :)

That was a few weeks ago and I'm making steady progress now - or as much as the "lockdown" allows, as I need to send bits and pieces out for work. Thankfully for most of the services I need, the companies are still operating throughout these strange times !

I'm probably tempting fate, but it shouldn't be 11 months until the next update !

In the meantime, here's a few pictures of the newly painted engine cases. ( I've also re-instated the lost pictures following the board crashing a few weeks ago !)

Stay safe, everyone.

Mark.

20191220_151035.jpg

20191220_151403.jpg

20191220_151359.jpg

20191220_151233.jpg

Return to “Projects”