Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Time to rebuild my old GPz

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

GPZ592
100Club
100Club

Re: Time to rebuild my old GPz

#136 PostAuthor: GPZ592 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 am

Well, after 4 odd years of blood, sweat and quite a few tears, the day came to take my old GPz 550 out for a test ride. It's been 27 years since it last turned a wheel and to say I was nervous would be an understatement ! Apart from the obvious "how will it run/will anything fall off" thoughts, there is always the worry that the memory plays tricks on you and you only remember the good days. Would it live up to my memories & expectations ? I had already run the engine up a couple of times in the garage, but riding it on the road is another matter entirely !

So, the plan was to do a quick 15 min ride around the block, come home and give it a once over to check all is well, but that plan went out of the window and I spent 2 hours happily trundling around the back roads :D It's not perfect by any means, but It put a big grin on my face and did bring back some great memories (although the brakes will take some getting used to :lol: )

The main issue is carburation - not entirely unexpected as the carbs & filters are not standard, but as long as its close enough, I'll get some miles on the engine and then get it setup on a dyno.

This isn't the end of the story though - there's lots of fettling still to do, but that's why we ride these old bikes :D

I'll leave you with a couple of photos of my GPz550 in the sun - Let the good times roll !

Mark.

Complete-1.jpg

Complete -2.jpg
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#137 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:28 am

Thats turned out a real cracker well done :up

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#138 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:48 am

Sharp as fu*k, well earned sir!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#139 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:06 pm

Hi Mark

she looks beautiful !
Congratulations.
Enjoy the riding, get the bugs out and have fun with it.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#140 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:19 pm

That looks really good, well done! It’s great when a plan comes together after so long!

Return to “Projects”