Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A2 - engine out...well trying

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

Z1000A2 - engine out...well trying

#1 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Dumb question , which I probably already know the answer to, but here goes.

Had some rare shed time to move along the Z1000 project a little more. The original Kawasaki manual shows a happy bloke taking out a clean engine from the right side of an otherwise fairly complete bike. A tiny bit of guidance in the text mentions that the lump should be angled up slightly and come out diagonally upwards.

After consulting a few mates, reading around on various sources of information (no doubt some of it more mis-information) I decided to try the 'shed bodgers' approach of taking the frame off the engine instead. So this means a strip down to bare frame and engine only. Down off the bike lift, make sure there's a soft enough surface not to damage the frame / engine and roll it on it's side. Last couple of engine plates off - lift off the frame and Bob's your fathers brother. So far it's really not working - perhaps my 3D puzzling ability is a bit lacking, but I can't really see that there is enough clearance. Tried it briefly with the frame back to vertical on wooden blocks - an impatient pull around to see if I could find the right sort of angle that the smug clean guy in the manual has it at. Not too successful with this either - but didn't knacker my back which I thought may be the result.

At the moment I am resigned to plan B (or maybe C) of at least taking the cam cover off / cams out and removing from a vertical frame. Maybe even get the head off to save a bit of weight-lifting (although I will employ a mate to help this time).

Has anyone had any useful experience / advice / encouragement that they could give - If there is a trick to getting it out in one piece that would be good before I start taking the top end apart. Especially as it's now on the shed floor and not a convenient bike lift height ! Although I haven't taken a Z engine out before, in the past I've had similar engines (GS850 and XS1100) out much more easily. All advice, welcome.
Present
Red '78 KZ - rebuilt from engine up
Other wheels - Couple of old Guzzi's
Past 1994 - 2010
Luminous Green '78 KZ import [BLE 656S]

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000A2 - engine out...well trying

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Graham,you are doing it the right way,cam cover off,exhaust studs if able to,you do have to angle the frame slightly to get it off the engine,an extra pair of hands helps ,done loads this way ,thous and 9,s..
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Just thought a bit obvious i know,but you do have the fixed mounting plates under upermost on the engine when lifting frame off?
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.

Anon

PUM 673

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:39 pm

If you are stripping the engine, then, as you say, the head off makes a world of difference....getting it out or in!
Cheers,

Mark.

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks both for the responses. Hopefully have some time this weekend to get back to it.

I'm a bit reticent to take the head off now unless I really have to as the unbolted engine (in the frame) is on the shed floor and it'd be awkward to do much work down there comfortably. Think that's my anticipation of an aching back speaking. Plan B then - cam cover off only and hopefully enough room to make a difference. If not - head off whilst working on the floor and a couple of cold beers afterwards to ease the pain. That route should be OK - but I'd rather do stuff like that on the bench where I can be more comfortable these days.

Once the cam cover is off I will probably tape something on the front facing upper gasket face of the head before seriously moving the motor as I expect that will be the most at risk of getting knocked on the frame as I lift out. Exhaust studs are not in place as the previous owner used bolts :?: which I will definitely change for studding on the rebuild.
Present
Past 1994 - 2010

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 am

Hi Graham
taking the frame off to get the engine out is the best way to do it if you want to save your back!
Make sure all the engine retaining bolts are removed ( long front bolt, two short lower bolts left and right, lower rear bolt and upper rear bolt) and that the triangular plates are removed from the frame.
Remove the oil filter, the camcover and the central camchain gear retainer, that gives you a bit of extra space.
Take a few blocks of wood to support the points cover and the clutch cover and put an old blancket over them.
Put the frame with the engine in it on the right hand side, make sure the engine rests on the wood.
In my experience is getting the engine free from the two lower rear plates of the frame, the most difficult part of the job. If the engine is stuck between them use a wooden beam as a lever to get it free.
The best thing to do is getting a pall over to your place to help you with the frame, it's rather heavy...
Work the frame around the engine to get it out by twisting and moving it from left to right. This should work, it's the easiest way to do it.
I hope that my explanation is clear enough for you.
Good luck with the job!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Never had much joy with the frame off the engine method myself.

It will come out easy enough with just the cam cover removed, but the most sure method of not scratching the frame is.
Drain the oil and take of the sump bolt and oil filter cover off. This gives enough clearance to get the motor out with the cam cover on but is much easier still with the cam cover off.

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 am

Well I had some time in the shed over the weekend and took off the cam cover and top cam jockey wheel.... all seemed in good condition inside. I have had this engine running briefly after buying the bike and it sounded quiet enough - so I didn’t expect a problem.

08A4DD8E-670D-4473-A81D-B611A25BB1BB.jpeg

6B23775B-C7EB-4B87-95E7-77CC87545AE0.jpeg

Looking at what was left to do, I decided to go for it and take the head off too. Was a little seized in place - but working around it with a rubber mallet - careful not to break any fins - it all came apart and lifted off the studs without any fuss.

698BEF18-5749-4FEF-A37E-F7CD22D1B6F2.jpeg

Typically I ran out of free time and had to pack away there. So engine not out, but a damn sight lighter and ready to lift out next time I’ve got a few minutes
Present
Past 1994 - 2010

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Graham
now you're so far it's a piece of cake, the engine should come out without any problems.
You can lift it out if you want but mind your back, it's still a heavy lump of metal! Try to make it as light as you can, Remove the starter motor, and everything else that you can.
Go for it!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Phillipe. There was a time, many years ago, when I was stupid (and stronger) and lifted old Jap fours out of frames and up onto benches on my own.... That's probably why my back has niggles sometimes these days due to all the damage I have done. I did use a jack and various wooden levers I seem to remember, but it was still the act of a foolish young man :D

Think I took the starter out sometime ago, but the clutch and generator set are still in there which I could take off I suppose, but not the best working arrangement down on the floor. I have a mate who will come over someday soon and we should be able to move it onto the bench between us without any bother (or damaged backs!).

Stay tuned for the celebration posting when I get the bugger out !
Present
Past 1994 - 2010

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: garyd » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:31 pm

lifted old Jap fours out of frames and up onto benches on my own.

:downt :rul :doh

This is exactly what caused my injury and now can't ride bikes :down :down

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Graham

when do you get that engine out? :?: The celebration champagne is in the fridge and I'm dying to have a glass of it! :roll: Don't keep us waiting too long!!! :wink:
GrtZ
Philippe

Graham-A2
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: Graham-A2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 am

Haa haa - well Phillipe, family life has restricted time in the workshop and I haven't been back to finish off the job yet - terrible I know.

This weekend looked set for the final lift out but my mate who is going to help went out on a bike trip over to France and messed up my plans. I am "home alone" this weekend as the family are away for a few days - my priorities will be much better aligned to Kawasaki rebuilding :D.

You will be the first to know so you can enjoy the champagne :onthep
Present
Past 1994 - 2010

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi Graham
setting priorities in life is very important! I wish you all the luck for taking the engine out and don't forget to post some pics !
GrtZ
Philippe

Return to “Projects”