Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

72 Z1 Resto

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Z1Steve
new poster

72 Z1 Resto

#1 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. My name is Steve. I am in the process of restoring an early 72 Z1 that I purchased about 4 weeks ago.

I bought the bike from a gentleman whose father recently passed. His dad bought the bike new in November 1972 in Sacramento, California USA. He rode the bike until 1979 and then parked it in his garage. It has sat there since. It has not run since 1979.

All original with the exception of the exhaust and seat. Both of these items he had replaced with aftermarket items. He had also painted over the original root beer brown/orange paint.

I have included several pics of my resto progress (including the original Craigslist ad picture). I also included a picture of the tank and tail section after sanding off the repaint.

I am really committed to doing an "original" restore and intend on sourcing original parts that are needed. I am also going to do my best to use just "elbow grease" in bringing all the parts back to snuff.
Attachments
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1593.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1595.jpeg
IMG_1596.jpeg
IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_1603.jpeg
IMG_1604.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
Last edited by Z1Steve on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Z1Steve
new poster

Re: Early 73 Z1 Resto

#2 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 pm

More pics.
Attachments
IMG_1654.jpeg
IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1655.jpeg
IMG_2391.jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 10.28.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 10.28.46 PM.png (146.27 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg
IMG_1555.jpeg

Z1Steve
new poster

#3 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:49 pm

all for now! :D
Attachments
IMG_1586.jpeg
IMG_1584.jpeg
IMG_1585.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
IMG_1554.jpeg

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 am

Nice early bike you've got there, Steve, congratulations. Are they ribless carbs?
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Z1Steve
new poster

#5 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:31 am

Gonzo wrote:Nice early bike you've got there, Steve, congratulations. Are they ribless carbs?

Yes. They are ribless. I have a vintage carb guy in Texas rebuilding them right now.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:15 am

Hi Steve
great bike! Congratulations! All correct '72 parts on it, get it restored and enjoy it.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

scotty m
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: scotty m » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:45 am

nice, built just before mine, shcoks are date coded too, i had mine rechromed and sent the top plastic shrouds to Oz to be rechromed. bag and tag all the original fasteners too

Z1Steve
new poster

#8 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 am

Nice! Could you upload a pic?

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:46 am

Hi Steve
I've been looking a bit closer to the pictures.
Your bike has real nice period details: the straight "7" of the rev counter, the offset "20" on the speedometer, the rear brake light switch, the panhead screws for the oil pressure switch holder, the slim camchain tensioner, the '72 fork legs, the ribless carbs,...
I couldn't see the horn, these '72 horns are different from the younger ones. Do you have the chain oiler tank? Or was it taken off sometime in the past? Is the chain oiler pump stil in place? Take a look at the drive sprocket /chain casing, it should be flush and there's no gear shifting notice(1N2345) on a Z1's.
I can see that the cylinderhead has bulges near the intake. Up to engine number 2200 these were hollow and the intake for the vacuum gauges were there. Are these still present or are the holes obstructed by bolts?
These and many others are all details that are different compared to later Z1's.
I noticed that you're going to use a lot of elbow grease to restore it.
I've done quite a lot of restorations in the past and I can assure you that rust doesn't belong on a frame when restoring it. If you plan to repaint it: DON'T use powdercoating, use 2K epoxy paint for all the parts, glossy for the frame and many major parts, satin for the head lamp bowl, the rear light support and the switches. Try to use as much of the original bolts, nuts and screws as you can and get them rechromed or replated with zinc. Mind there are bolts that are very hard to find (the hollow bolts of the main stand). There are bolts with a "4" on them or upset bolts (those of the tool container, behind the battery box). Take a lot of pictures and describe which bolt is placed where.
If you need advice, don't hesitate to ask!
I hope you post a lot of pictures so we can follow the restoration.
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: marmck » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:59 am

Welcome to the club Steve , you should change the title of this thread to 72 Z1 Resto , lovely find & happy hunting .

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:53 am

Steve,
Good luck with the resto, you have a great bike that deserves to be bought back to life.Don't hesitate to ask for parts that you may need.
Regards
Steve

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 am

I will be following your progress, good luck.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Bill P » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am

Great looking bike good luck and enjoy, is it WG carbs inTexas doin your carbs , if so they'll be spot
on ive had a few sets for different Z projects of George :D

Z1Steve
new poster

#14 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 am

Bill P wrote:Great looking bike good luck and enjoy, is it WG carbs inTexas doin your carbs , if so they'll be spot
on ive had a few sets for different Z projects of George :D

Yes. Wired George in Texas is doing the carb work :wink:

Z1Steve
new poster

#15 PostAuthor: Z1Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am

Philippe wrote:Hi Steve
I've been looking a bit closer to the pictures.
Your bike has real nice period details: the straight "7" of the rev counter, the offset "20" on the speedometer, the rear brake light switch, the panhead screws for the oil pressure switch holder, the slim camchain tensioner, the '72 fork legs, the ribless carbs,...
I couldn't see the horn, these '72 horns are different from the younger ones. Do you have the chain oiler tank? Or was it taken off sometime in the past? Is the chain oiler pump stil in place? Take a look at the drive sprocket /chain casing, it should be flush and there's no gear shifting notice(1N2345) on a Z1's.
I can see that the cylinderhead has bulges near the intake. Up to engine number 2200 these were hollow and the intake for the vacuum gauges were there. Are these still present or are the holes obstructed by bolts?
These and many others are all details that are different compared to later Z1's.
I noticed that you're going to use a lot of elbow grease to restore it.
I've done quite a lot of restorations in the past and I can assure you that rust doesn't belong on a frame when restoring it. If you plan to repaint it: DON'T use powdercoating, use 2K epoxy paint for all the parts, glossy for the frame and many major parts, satin for the head lamp bowl, the rear light support and the switches. Try to use as much of the original bolts, nuts and screws as you can and get them rechromed or replated with zinc. Mind there are bolts that are very hard to find (the hollow bolts of the main stand). There are bolts with a "4" on them or upset bolts (those of the tool container, behind the battery box). Take a lot of pictures and describe which bolt is placed where.
If you need advice, don't hesitate to ask!
I hope you post a lot of pictures so we can follow the restoration.
Good luck
Philippe

Thanks for the items to check. I will take a look and post the results :)

Return to “Projects”