Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

S&S Silver Saxon #8

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: S&S Silver Saxon #8

#16 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Some progress photos

wheels done, coated and new bearings, cast discs cleaned and painted, those wheels weigh a ton with those discs - only needed 25g weight to balance with tyres on

engine done, painted vht tough black, sump vapour blasted and covers polished up , clutch fine, no wear on bores or pistons, gave bores a slight hone , rings perfect -no blow back on pistons at all
Will also note that all inlet and exhaust ports were filled with petrol
and left to stand on each side so that the valves were holding a vertical column of petrol no weeping at all after 2 mins , one had a slight mark after that period so pretty satisfied that there are no problems there

frame paint stripped 4 times.. and I will have a go machine polishing the frame with a drill and buffs, it looks shiny in the photo but not so great at this point in real life as I've tested a down tube and it came up really well- and use a nickel plate for the repair where the side stand was cut off
got springs from rear girling units back from powder coaters , in black as original, so will refinish shock, replated swinging arm and all chromed exhaust system, turbo housing (was chrome originally) due back in a few days time , Chrome and nickel £1k!
Attachments
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG
Last edited by RAYZ1 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
yes you can have too many bikes

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am

Ray. I take it you've pretty much retired now then due to the progress you're making? Great work and look forward to seeing the end result.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:51 am

By the way, the speedo drive unit to use is from an early cb750 and its spacing is crucial to working correctly. There should be a 5mm spacer in there too which is not shown in the Rickman manual.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Will I noticed the thick washer , I didn’t know the drive was cb750 . Away to start polishing frame, at least it’s clean . Not retired yet ! Unfortunately, finishing off a big new industrial shop and hhavr a workshop to refurb which will take me till September/October then finished
The new build is big 4000sqm , 4 x 100T cranes and a deep water pit 7m into the tidal water table
I’m aiming for a rolling chassis and engine in and then I will back off and have fun on bikes that go , well that’s the plan

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Will

looking at the turbo wheels in the prototype rebuild manual , this looks like the same A flow turbine?
certainly not the smaller turbine, this wheel has the extension to the blade before it folds over which I dont think the smaller turbine has ?
Attachments
aflow.jpg

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Some bling back, :D , from Doug Taylor Bristol I’ve got some heat insulating paint for the exhaust inner face to stop blueing, frost sell it , can only go on clean metal so now is time to do it , will it work ? Log header is quite thin, re nickel on swinging arm looks awesome , so if frame doesn’t polish up it will get same treatment, so that would add 2 months to build and another 1k
Attachments
B66D8659-4EFC-4E87-993F-91C1C69E8D98.jpeg
B4514676-2F78-4D0F-8F69-96CBAE55631B.jpeg
BEC4CED3-67D7-4133-B8FC-47DA2412D525.jpeg

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 pm

RAYZ1 wrote:Will

looking at the turbo wheels in the prototype rebuild manual , this looks like the same A flow turbine?
certainly not the smaller turbine, this wheel has the extension to the blade before it folds over which I dont think the smaller turbine has ?

Ray, the one in yours is the F-flow. I got them the wrong way round in the manual.
The A-flow has cutaways like the one in my hand!
Attachments
P1000821.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:08 pm

If that turbo is going to get any proper use I would seriously consider replacing the pressed turbine heat shield with a solid one.
The pressed ones tend to warp and rub on the back of the turbine which eventually destroys them and the excess heat generated by the friction is not good for the shaft and centre bush.
It looks like the one in Wills pic might already have one fitted.
The centre bushes are like hens teeth to find and the turbo is practically scrap once they are past their wear limit.

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#24 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Good news - I think the F flow is more than enough for this engine , serious use- , lets say respectful road use now given its age and rarity (and my age!), point taken though and I can see the difference in the plates. At this point the level of use its had over 8k miles has obviously been easy - even though some idiot bunged up the waste gate, The std pistons would probably give long way before the turbo gave up with serious use. I think as Will has pointed out for serious power delivery its a next stage after the donkey work. My goal is to get it running and looking well at this point.

trikerdrew
100Club
100Club

#25 PostAuthor: trikerdrew » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Who said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear,LOL!

Amazing transformation.

Did you replate the engine bolts or are they now stainless?

Like the flake paint as well, groovy :lol:

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#26 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am

trikerdrew wrote:Who said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear,LOL!

Amazing transformation.

Did you replate the engine bolts or are they now stainless?

Like the flake paint as well, groovy :lol:

yeah the flake paint has to stay, its cellulose original , cant loose that , I was thinking of applying a top coat of acrylic lacquer but that may cause problems, either reaction or having to flat it back - if its thin and goes through metal flake its a mess- the bolts are stainless- I have the originals, but sometimes depending on condition Ive had 6mm bolts snap as they have went brittle after plating

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#27 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:12 pm

RAYZ1 wrote:Some bling back, :D , from Doug Taylor Bristol I’ve got some heat insulating paint for the exhaust inner face to stop blueing, frost sell it , can only go on clean metal so now is time to do it , will it work ? Log header is quite thin, re nickel on swinging arm looks awesome , so if frame doesn’t polish up it will get same treatment, so that would add 2 months to build and another 1k

Heat resistant barbecue paint inside the headers helps stop blueing, believe it or not.
Cheers,

Mark.

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#28 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 pm

on turbo headers them pipes will glow red in the dark .ive had freshly chromed pipes blister with the heat.could of been falty jpb

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 pm

neilbarrett wrote:on turbo headers them pipes will glow red in the dark .ive had freshly chromed pipes blister with the heat.could of been falty jpb

Absolutely, on my z1b I coated my headers with bbq paint and then old engine oil after drying out , old engine oil is s classic car trick for headers on big block Chevys etc to stop or reduce manifold blueing , in this case went for special 1800 deg paint designed for the job , not cheap , but neither is chroming , I will treat s new 4-4 with it as well

RAYZ1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#30 PostAuthor: RAYZ1 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:03 am

, Bit of a break in work , but stole some time , after 4 paint strips and 7 hours machine polishing is now helping to return the frame to a decent state, there are a couple of areas I will touch up the nickel with a wand plate kit , notably where the hole from the side stand has been plated over
I think 2 or 3 hours more and it should be ok to build up. The S/A is replated as there was so much rust under the plating from stone chipping , the frame was relatively free but heavily oxidised, much harder than alloy oxidation , just all the brackets to do now and re-galv the engine bolts, If the frame hadnt come up so well I would have re plated , but I have seen replated rickman frames , inc my S/A, no matter what you say they buff out the beautiful brazing work so its flat , and Im not in a hurry to acid dip the frame to remove the old nickel
Attachments
r10.jpg
r4.jpg

Return to “Projects”