Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

ST recommission

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: ST recommission

#31 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 am

Hi Pete
the slide rod bushes on the bolt do the same thing as the O-rings, they prevent dust and water getting between the bolt and the holes in the caliper bracket. They are mounted on the bolt in an indentation.
Kawasaki didn't supply them as separate parts, they came with the bolts.
The steel spacers are under the nuts and sit in the caliper body, they prevent the aluminium from being damaged by the steel nut when tightening them.
Take a look at the parts diagram at CMS.NL KZ1000E1.
There you can see what new parts are stil available for the ST. Mind that the diagram is for the Canadian or the US version. It's not completely the same as the EU version.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#32 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 am

Hi Pete
I had another look at the fork leg. The E2 fork inner tubes had a bushing at the underside. I only opened one and that's years ago. My mistake, sorry.
If you want to remove the inner damper out of the inner tube you have to take the aluminium part at the end off.
The inner damper can be removed then.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#33 PostAuthor: moizeau » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 am

Philippe, thanks very much, I'll have a look.
A+
Pete
Pete

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#34 PostAuthor: moizeau » Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks again Philippe.
Now that I've cleaned the calipers up (bloody game that is with 40 years of dust, fluid, shite and then more shite I can see the slide rod bushes in the middle of the shaft bolt, cut them off, they come in the kit. Also the spacers have become apparent after a clean, more of a thick washer. Still haven't got the pistons out, tried air, next is a remote master cylinder. I've read that a grease gun also works.
Hope it gets easier as I go rearwards?
I know at least that the engine starts :D
Pete

Darren A
Regular Poster

#35 PostAuthor: Darren A » Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello Pete

Word of advice as you talking of moving rearward. You can not get rebuild kits for the rear master cylinder, not even from Z power, which I didn’t know until I stripped mine down and through away all the internals, unless Philippe knows different. In the end I bought a new master cylinder and reservoir from the internet and fabricated a new link to the pedal, which works fine but if yours isn’t broken don’t try to fix it!

Darren

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#36 PostAuthor: moizeau » Fri May 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up Darren, much appreciated.
Pete

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#37 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat May 18, 2019 2:54 am

Hi men
have a look at this link

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000e1 ... N9zUFIzbIU

it's not cheap but you can buy them!
GrtZ
Philippe

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#38 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 am

Lets hope mine is OK when I get there....or it's 'self fitting' at that price, but at least they are out there.
A+
Pete

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#39 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 am

Update, calipers are now stripped and soaking in alcohol, the remote master cylinder worked a treat to remove the pistons, which seem in good condition. Forks are ready for a rebuild. Master cylinder is stripped, just need to see if the bore cleans up, and the ratchet steering turned out to be congealed grease, now clean it works very smoothly. I do need a top dust seal though if any one knows if these are sold individually,I've only seen them as part of the bearing kit.
All the above parts are on the way.
Next it's pads and brake lines.
I've found these lines, has any one used them?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Alba-Biker?_ ... 7675.l2563 and these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/OHA-Motorspo ... 7675.l2563
I've sourced a tank with all the fittings, that's on it's way, so by this time next week I am hoping to roll it outside, start it and do an oil / filter change.
A+
Pete

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#40 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Pete
If you want brand new brake lines that look like the original ones you can send a message to Willem from classickawaparts in Holland and ask him to have them made. He understands English, so no problem.
GrtZ
Philippe

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#41 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Thanks Philippe, I'll have look on the site
Pete

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#42 PostAuthor: moizeau » Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Well I said there'd be a few more surprises, I found one. Presumably after it went sideways, hence the Yam clocks, the rear end was also 'repaired'
PICT0131.JPG
PICT0132.JPG
PICT0133.JPG

So I've got an STmk2 hybrid, wondered why it sat cocked to the rear light. It wasn't even a good bodge. For the time being it will get a good bodge so that it looks straight.
I'm awaiting a manual amongst other front end bits but if the fork stuff turns up first I'd like to get them rebuilt and ready. I've read that Kwak specify a multi weight oil 10w20, but I've also seen 15w fork oil mentioned. I'm inclined to go with the 15w but how much do they take and to verify even quantities, what's the measurement from the top of the inner?
Cheers all
A+
Pete

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#43 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 am

Hi Pete
bad surprise...but you can find other tail pieces for the ST, they're not rare.
The forks need approx. 350 cc of oil in each leg. I use 15 w.
GrtZ
Philippe

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#44 PostAuthor: moizeau » Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Cheers Philippe, yes I've seen them on the BC, last one was 25€. Calipers and master cylinder are done ready to go back on. Just find my special tool for the fork seals (50mm plastic evacuation pipe) and the front end can go back together. Just opened the oil filter box.....didn't realise bike filters didn't come with seals. Too used to doing cars.
Pete

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#45 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 am

Whilst awaiting a manual, I have another question, sorry.
I have a 2 pipe fuel tap. Lower is feed, top for vacuum, on the carbs the inlet is simple, in the depths feeding the 4 float bowls, the vacuum connection is the slight mystery. Halfway down carbs 2,3 and 4 is a nipple (counting from the left). No. 2 carb has the remains of a pipe still on it but 3 and 4 the nipples are exposed. Are these breathers? Do I connect the vacuum pipe to one of these, and do I run open pipes up under the tank from the other 2, or block then off in a similar fashion to the carb inlet rubbers? No. 1 carb doesn't have this nipple.
Cheers chaps
A+
Pete

Return to “Projects”