Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

ST recommission

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Darren A
Regular Poster

Re: ST recommission

#16 PostAuthor: Darren A » Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello Pete, Good to see another ST being brought back to life, I have just got an ST back on the road after 2 years of Of toil in my shed, that started Off in a similar condition to yours. Best of luck with it, I have uploaded a couple of photos of mine in show us yours Section.

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Hello all.

#17 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

moizeau wrote:One other quick question. Is there a phosphor bronze(?) sleeve that acts as a guide for the fork leg? I remember changing te seals in the Zeph and it still leaked until I changed the worn sleeve (and another set of seals). I haven't got a manual or parts diagram as yet and haven't stripped them to see until I've got the new parts.
Cheers

Speak to Phil at ZPower if a part’s available he can get it, and if not he can sometimes supply a part that will work instead.

steve-g
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: steve-g » Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Welcome to the club,good to see another ST being put back where it belongs on the road.

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: moizeau » Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Cheers Chris, I'll post some photos of the forks tomorrow, the innards are nothing like the parts diagram!!!
Pete

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 am

Hi Pete
the ST fork legs have no bronze sleeve, they come apart very easy.
I'll show you some pictures of the parts within a few hours so you can see what to expect.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 am

Hi Pete
as promised, the pictures
DSCN3923.JPG
the fork leg taken apart

As you can see there's no bronze sleeve.
DSCN3924.JPG
the inner damper

This is how the upper part of the inner damper looks like
You have to stop it from turning around when you're removing the allen bolt at the underside of the fork leg.
DSCN3925.JPG
the tool

This is how the tool should be in order to stop the inner damper from rotating
I have a special tool but a pointed broomstick will do the job.
The allen bolt at the underside needs 4 kgm of torcque , a new copper washer, a bit of liquid sealer and loctite at the thread.
The cap needs a torcque of 2.8 kgm
You have to put 350 cc of oil in each fork leg. SAE 10 fork leg oil is recommanded in the shopmanual but I use SAE 15 fork oil. It gives a better damping.
If you have any questions, just ask them.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: moizeau » Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am

This is what I've got....
PICT0123.JPG

The bottom piston is held within the fork inner. There is a bronze sleeve / clip at the base which I presume holds the two together. There is , what feels like a spring inside working in the same fashion as the original.
It also states there should be a washer between the fork seal and retaining clip, not present, which is why the fork seal wasn't completely seated against the shoulder, again presumably forced up by the spring until it hits the clip??
There was no way these were coming apart without the special tool, luckily I still had mine from my Zeph days. If i'd have used a dowel it would have come out looking like it had been on a wood turning lathe!

Anyone recognise this odd part. I'm not fussed too much as it's in good condition and does the job. I'm hoping the length is the same as standard? (Included in the photo (665/6mm+188mm)

Cheers
Pete

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 am

Hi Pete
I've done already a lot of ST fork disassembly but I never stumbled upon that. But then again, you're in France and your ST originates from France...nice country, nice people but when it comes to finding solutions for a technical problem...I have my doubts about it.
Is the other fork leg the same? Or didn't you opened it yet?
The only thing I can see is that an inner part of the outer forkleg came loose and is stuck on the inner fork tube.
Take a look inside the outer forktube. If there's an indentation near the top, the part could originate from there.
You definitely have an E2 (1980) fork leg (one bolt at the bottom where the axle goes through).
GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am

Pete
there's no washer between the oil seal and the retaining clip. Not on the ST, on other forks there are washers.
GrtZ
Philippe

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#25 PostAuthor: moizeau » Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks Philippe, both legs are identical. Here's a close up. The bronze sleeve is almost flush with the inner
PICT0124.JPG
PICT0125.JPG

How long is the inner fork normally?

I know it's been on it's side because I have a spare metal clock mount, the chrome ears for the headlight have been straightened, it didn't have a LHS engine protection bar and the handlebars are 10mm closer to the tank on LH lock ( yes the steering stop is slightly mis-formed). The handlebars have FXR750 written on them (not vivsible until they were removed) and the clocks although to me seem very similar the redline on the rev counter is wrong.
PICT0126.JPG

At the moment if the strange parts work and enable me to get it roadworthy, safe and mechanically sound to a condition I can enjoy then fair enough. I would just like to work out the puzzle?

Oh, and I just checked the engine number, it's an E1, the frame is E2.

I'm sure there will be surprises around the corner.

A+
Pete

mark d
100Club
100Club

#26 PostAuthor: mark d » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Welcome from another st owner , they are marmite bikes you either love them or hate them and I love mine
4 pipe a1, z1000 st ,gpz rx 1000 x3 , Rx bitza in boxes x1

Simonic
100Club
100Club

#27 PostAuthor: Simonic » Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Yamaha clocks ?
'83 ZX1100 '81 Z1000ST, '04 GSX1400, '19 Dodge Challenger Hemi

davejames
ZedHead
ZedHead

#28 PostAuthor: davejames » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Simonic wrote:Yamaha clocks ?

My thoughts too.
Feng shui................my arse

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: moizeau » Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Right. A bitsa front end was grafted on. Just did a search on ebay for the fork seals without specifying the bike to see if that threw up any possibilities for the forks? The other bikes that use the same seals are, GPZ1000, Vmax and a Royal Ventura.
Does anyone know the length of an ST fork inner? At least I can see then if they are the right size?
Cheers
Pete

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#30 PostAuthor: moizeau » Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Two more questions if I may?
What are the 4 slide rod bushes in the linked ad?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z-1 ... 23587c21fc
2nd question, I don't seem to have the 'spacers' shown in the parts diagram (No. 2), unless they are stuck in the caliper.
brake.jpg

I realise ( if I'm correct?) the ST hasn't got the o rings due to the different shafts, but it's the only picture I have.
Cheers

A+
Pete

Return to “Projects”