Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Gpz1100B2 restoration

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Gpz1100B2 restoration

#1 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi men
this weekend I started the restoration of my recently acquired Gpz1100B2.
I got it running last friday evening but it makes a horrible sound with the open exhaust...but anyway I'm pleased that the engine runs with the injection mounted on it.
Yesterday the dismantling began, the usual horrors appeared and a few other bad surprises but anyway it's a new challenge for me, it's the first injection model I'm going to restore. Wish me good luck, I'll need it!
This is how the bike was when I bought it last week.
DSCN4022.JPG
the beginning

And this is how she's now...
DSCN4037.JPG
allmost there...

She looks a bit naked now but she'll get nice repainted cloths and other bits and bobs to make her shine again.
I intend to do a full restoration, engine, injection, frame, wheels...it's a long way to go.
I know that I'll need a lot of parts that are missing or damaged but I'll find them somewhere.
I invite you all to join me on my new adventure.
GrtZ
Philippe
Last edited by Philippe on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Simonic
100Club
100Club

Re: Gpz1100B2 restoration

#2 PostAuthor: Simonic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Look forward to following your progress as always Sir
'83 ZX1100 '81 Z1000ST, '04 GSX1400, '19 Dodge Challenger Hemi

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: deka » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Brilliant philippe looking forward to this especially the fuel injection
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

redzee
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: redzee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Can't wait to see this one progress, hopefully it will inspire me to get my arse into gear with my 1000J. :D

Good luck Philippe
Eight valve grunt.
Remember, growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Z1000J3, RD350(1973), RD250E, TZR250 2MA YPVS

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: weaver » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:36 pm

excellent good luck :vcool

King of Kings
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: King of Kings » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Superb! More 80s Kwackas need to get restored! :)

kawasaki_man
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: kawasaki_man » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi Philippe,
A great new project and I'm looking forward to reading all your tips and advice on how to get things done properly, it is always a pleasure to read your posts.
What is your time line for this project?
All the Best

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 am

Hi men
thanks a lot for your replies and good luck wishes!
Some more horrors appeared when dismantling the bike :ghostface ...some replacement parts are ordered in Germany...a lot of research on the www has been done...a lot of bolts, nuts, screws and parts are sorted out and waiting to be rezinced (black phosphated).
I'll post some pictures later this week of the bad discoveries.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi men
here's an update of the "progress" of the restoration.
I promised you some pictures of the horrors I discovered while dismantling the bike (after all, Haloween isn't that long ago).
The major horror I discovered was a lump of resin at the front of the engine, just where the two cranckcase halves meet.

DSCN4042.JPG
the lump of resin...

I was expecting the worst but hoping for the best...
It turned out that a bolt broke off and the broken off part remained in the upper cranckcase half...why they putted a blob of resin on there I don't know. Anyway I removed the broken off part, tapped new thread in the hole, inserted a powercoil and the problem was fixed. I was happy there was no major damage to the cranckases.

DSCN4046.JPG
a good result

Another discovery was a piece of M10 threaded bar in the cylinder head ... it can be solved but...
when removing the cylinder head it turned out to be a ZX10A (GPZ1100 Uni-track) head with the valve shims under the buckets...
On the outside the cylinder heads look the same, on the inside the valves, springs, valve retainers, shims and buckets are different.
I have no spare Gpz1100B2 cylinder head but I have a complete ZX10A for spares so I'll probably use the decent looking spare ZX10A head. I know, it's not correct but nobody will see it an I'm sure none of you will tell it to someone, it's our little secret.

DSCN4043.JPG
the M10 threaded bar

The next bad surprise was the housing of the clocks. They looked OK as long as they were mounted but when I removed them ...pure horror for me. The two halves were taped together, glue was used to keep them in shape and when I opened them a big part of the inside had disappeared.

DSCN4047.JPG
a hole in the back cover

DSCN4049.JPG
the disappeared part

OK what are we going to do now? The solution came from the French forum. The clock housing of a Z550GT is exactly the same and rather easy to find. So I found one in Germany and it's coming my way. I only have to swap a few parts and the problem is solved.
And there's more to come my way : a main stand ( was missing), a fuse box (damaged) and a little plastic cover between the two steering halves (broken).

For the moment the whole bike is taken apart, most of the parts are stored in boxes waiting for preparation and or repair.

DSCN4050.JPG
the parts collection

DSCN4051.JPG
the dismantled engine

That's it for today, more to come soon!
GrtZ
Philippe
Last edited by Philippe on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ratty

#10 PostAuthor: Ratty » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Philippe, this will be another nice one in the collection. I do have a soft spot for the twin shock GPZs. Looking forward to the progress reports :D

rickm
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: rickm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 am

Great thread Philippe :up
Looking forward to the fuel injection set up.

Just curious, what pistons was it running?
I believe the valve angles are different in the uni-track heads (compared with the twin-shock bikes) which is ok with standard pistons but can cause issues with some of the higher compression aftermarket sets.
H2B GPZ900R

Sgt.Pinback
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: Sgt.Pinback » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 am

If you want to go back to B2 head I could try to find one by doing some phone calls.
Cheers, Uli

Z1, Z1000H, ZRX1100R, R90S

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Fairly sure that one of the front bolt holes is designed to be used to split the cases. Maybe something happened there with a previous owner not undoing all the bolts that hold them together.

I believe the valve angles are different in the uni-track heads (compared with the twin-shock bikes) which is ok with standard pistons but can cause issues with some of the higher compression aftermarket sets.

Its the exhaust valve angles only which are different as Rick says. They are laid over flatter than the inlets of the Unitrak head and both those of the J and B and 1000R etc. They can cause serious problems with higher comp pistons but you can have the valve pockets machined to offset the problem. Shouldn't be an issue if its been running though.

Sidestand brackets are a common fault and tend to rotate or split away from the frame on the underside. The LHS frame tube (lower rail) that the bracket is on also tend to suffer with rot. The flattened top surface of the bracket should be horizontal when the bike is bolt upright,yours might be a little out of position.

AL
1981 J1

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:01 am

Hi men
thanks a lot for your replies!

@ rickm: I think that it has pistons of a ZX10A, they are marked "ART 114" but I have no experience with the "younger" bikes so any input is welcome, they have the standard size: 72,5 mm. But they look like high compression pistons...

@ uli: thanks for the offer but I'll stick to a ZX10A head, perhaps you can help me to find some other parts if necessary.

@Al: the engine ran with no issues so I think it's OK. As far as the lower left hand frame tube is concerned: it seems to be allright. I'm aware of the rotting problem that's caused by water getting in the tube and not able to get out anymore. The little plastic cap was still on the tube where the anti theft device was kept so I hope the water didn't get in...time will tell.

GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi men
it took me a few months to come back to you but work continued on the GPZ 1100 B2 !
It was too cold to paint and I couldn’t strip paint off from the steel parts because they would start to rust, so I continued on the alloy parts.
The wheels had a gold paint on them under which I found a green paint and finally I reached the original red paint. It took me several days to prepare them for painting.
DSCN4075.JPG

As usual I soften the paint with thinner and remove as much as possible with some sort of scotch brite. The remaining paint is removed with several nylon brushes on a drill.
DSCN4078.JPG

I was able to order the red paint for them just before the corona lock down, lucky me !
I also stripped the paint from the engine and painted it during a warmer day in february.
DSCN4102.JPG

The engine is partially reassembled and I’m waiting for new piston rings to continue.
Other alloy parts were prepared, among them the injector bodies.
I stripped the whole ramp until I ended up with a bunch of parts...then I realised there’s no explanation in the workshop manual to reassemble them...but I bought 2 Uni-tracks last summer and the injectors are the same as the ones on the B2. So I had an example to help me to sort it out.
DSCN4056.JPG

As time went by and the temperatures got up I was able to spray several parts among which were the injector bodies.
They each consist of a lot of parts and all 4 of the injector bodies are different.
A lot of parts are the same but the most important of them are different.
The valve axles have different alloy parts and the third has the throttle cable control on it.
The axles of body 1,3 and 4 can be removed without a problem. The number 2 axle needs a bit more work in order to remove it.
You’ll see it in the next episode.
See you soon!
GrtZ
Philippe

Return to “Projects”