Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650 / 1100

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z650 / 1100

#46 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Bevelhead wrote:Anyone know why the pics don't show anymore ?

The site went down a few weeks ago and some attachment links were broken.
Any new ones you post will show but you will have to edit the older posts and reload the lost pics if you want them back.
Luckily the image codes are still visible so not that hard a job remembering what pics went where.
I lost over 150 pics but it didn't take long to get them back up.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#47 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sat May 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Ok, will try to get the links working again..

Finally collected the cases and block with their new ceramic gloss black finish. Not a cheap option (£360), and the finish isn't as smooth as paint or powder coat, but it is supposed to be very tough. There are still many engine parts that I need, such as a cam chain, cylinder studs, carbs, ignition and so on, but I took what I had to my mate who will be building the engine for me.

After careful inspection, he found a problem with the upper engine case.. it had a tiny crack around one of the bearing locating pins, not something that could be ignored.. sigh..

But (fingers crossed) it can be welded and machined to fix the problem..
Attachments
IMG_8991.JPG
IMG_8975.JPG

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#48 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Got a txt from the welder today to say the case is now ready for collection, long with another job I gave him for a different project. Will collect it on Monday. He did send me some pics of the case too... He had to grind away the damaged alloy, then rebuild the area with weld.. That done, I now need to have it machined and drilled, something I'm told 'wont be a problem' ..we'll see next week, just hope the case can be saved.
Attachments
Zedcasefix1.jpg
Zedcasefix4.jpg

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#49 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 pm

The repair to the upper crankcase went ok, and the engine build could move forward. It didn't take long before we hit another problem.. some of the case hardening on the crankshaft had worn away, so that crank couldn't be used. But a second crank was found, that my mate Jeff had rebuild awhile ago, and that went into the engine. Now waiting for parts to arrived from Z-Power and Debben (APE head bolts etc) before the block can go back on.

In the meantime, I set about the tedious job of polishing the engine covers.. Only to find the points cover was cracked, and the clutch cover had a weird shallow dent in it. No idea how it got there as there's no other damage on the cover. Someone thought the original bike had crash bars fitted and in a crash the bars bent and hit the cover.

I decided against using these covers, and instead of hitting Ebay for used covers, or buying some cool aftermarket version, I'd have Jeff Hill make them for me. I liked the one I'd seen on one of his projects, so mine will be similar, but not quite the same. Just ordered all the alloy plate to make them. The alternator cover would be harder to replicate, so for now the engine will be getting a standard cover. So I guess I cant avoid polishing that one.
Attachments
IMG_9136.JPG
IMG_9131.JPG

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#50 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:58 am

With most of the parts arrived, the bottom end could go together, and with the heavy duty APE cylinder studs in place, the block could go on next. In the pic that was about to happen. With that done, attention turned to the head.. and more headaches..

The head is from a bike imported from the US, and its had a hard life. Some idiot in the past had used a too long bolt in one of the cam caps, which cracked the head immediately below the bolt. Once again, the damage had to be ground away and weld used to build up the area, before being shaped back to original (still not finished), see the pic with the arrow below. In addition a couple of the cam cap threads were damaged... a common problem it seems, so all sixteen threads will be heli-coiled.

But the problems don't end there... all the valves, valve guides are worn, and so will need replacing. While the valve seats will need to be recut too. Its all turning into an expensive rebuild. Though compared to Ducatis and Harleys the parts prices aren't to bad. Given the engine parts are around 40 years old, its not really a surprise they need so much work.
Attachments
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9352.JPG

Plummen1
new poster

#51 PostAuthor: Plummen1 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:20 am

Bevelhead wrote:
chrisNI wrote:Nice wheels... :D interested to see this progressing.

The front was originally made to have just one disc, but being built up, the hubs can be unbolted and machined to take a second disc. This is how they looked on my old drag bike..

That's a cool looking old harley!

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#52 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm

I still have the 'Harley'.. though without its wheels, took them off to make it easier to store. I have too many projects, and not enough room.

The head has been repaired, welded and all cam bolt holes helicoiled. Its now off having new valve guides, valves and seats recut. Meanwhile the billet clutch and points cover are almost done. Need to find way to engrave DOHC ab maybe Kawasaki into them. And the swingarm is currently being powder coated at Triple S. Cant do the frame yet, as its far from ready.
Attachments
IMG_9461 (2).JPG
IMG_9420.JPG

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#53 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:27 am

Loving this thread its great, the billet stuff is brilliant,
I have my own 650 11 project on the go at the moment, but not having access to a machine shop its a lot less impressive. :??

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#54 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Got the swing arm back from Triple S, so couldn't resist mocking up the back end. Have to be careful not to scratch the inside of the arm, as it doesn't have any wheel spacers yet. Now need to decide what colour to paint the 'spokes'.. probably satin black or gold, not sure yet..
Attachments
IMG_9574 (2).JPG

chrisNI
Site Admin

#55 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:23 pm

This is coming along nicely - good work :D :D !!

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#56 PostAuthor: Swirl » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:13 am

I like that arm

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#57 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:29 am

Another small piece of the jigsaw done, the billet clutch cover is polished (I hate polishing!) and ready to go on the engine .
Attachments
IMG_9578.JPG

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#58 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm

I still want to have the points cover engraved with the DOHC logo, but that can wait. After a few tedious hours of work, got the alternator cover cleaned up and polished. Took so long as it had some deep scratches where the bike must've gone down.

Hit a problem when dropping the block over the pistons, a ring got damaged (though they were lightly used pistons). Oh well, just buy some new rings... except the only ones we could find that would fit the 73.5 pistons were in Germany and cost over £200..

So now the block is going to be bored out to 75mm and I'll fit a 1170 piston kit instead. The head has gone off to Roger Upperton in Leeds, so not much more can be done with the engine until the head returns.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#59 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 pm

One annoying problem is that the Z1 side panels I want to use don't look right with the Z1000 tank, as the tank comes back too far above the side panel.

The side panels cant to be moved backwards as they have a cutout where they sit against the frame tube at the front, while at the back they hit the other frame tube. The side panels are ABS, so not easy to modify. Not really got any idea how to solve this problem, other than perhaps cutting them up and plastic welding them back to together an inch shorter..

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#60 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:13 pm

I played around with 1000 tanks on mine and in the end bite the bullet an bought a z650 one, similar shape.

Return to “Projects”