Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

GPZ11000B1

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

tjaski
new poster

GPZ11000B1

#1 PostAuthor: tjaski » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Hello All, trying to get my gpz1100b1 back on the road, started cleaning it up not "concourse" but clean and usable..striped most of it down now after getting things power coated putting it back, done 85k miles from new, when i bought it in 81...injection all still works...but ad to replace original "tv screen" as it all failed, so looking for a replaement.
The only issue i have is although i have the original service manual, and it does show hat i am after, i dont know when it goes. OK there is a blue with red stripe cable that come out of the crankcase from behind the starter motor, it comes from the loom under the starter motor, comes out from behind the starter motor just near the rear camchain tensioner, but because its sheared about a cm up from the crankase i cant find the other end as i have stripped all injectors out and moved the loom about. i did take loads of "before" photos but cant see anything in them. so if anyone can let me know .....

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: GPZ11000B1

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Its the oil pressure switch.
AL
1981 J1

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 am

Hi tjaski
welcome to the club!
Put some pictures of your bike on here, before and during the restoration.
Tell us something more about yourself and your bike in the "New here"section.
Come on, don't be shy!
Greetings from Belgium.
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

tjaski
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: tjaski » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks for that but i already have a blue with red stripe going there, the One i am holding Is from the loom to the oil pressure switch, the other photo just shows another Blue with red stripe coming out of the crankcase, albeit i have had to solder and shrink wrap a new extension on It...
Attachments
IMG_20200608_162640.jpg
IMG_20200608_162655.jpg

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:33 am

Hi tjaski
is your bike equipped with a side stand switch ? Where does the blue wire goes to ? Into a multi pin connector?
A lot of questions I know but we don't get much information coming from you...
Give us some more pictures to make things a bit clearer. Perhaps we can give you better answers then.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:06 pm

The RED/BLUE wire from the oil pressure switch goes from the switch itself, through that little rubber grommet, under the starter motor and into a thin 'sub loom' which has in it; three yellow wires and one from the neutral switch. That wire is pictured in place in youre second photo.
The additional RED/BLUE wire you are holding could be the only other RED/BLUE wire that appears in a UK B1wiring diagram and if so it is part of the fuel injection sub loom.
AL
P.S. I am the last person to trust with electrics :Oo
1981 J1

tjaski
new poster

#7 PostAuthor: tjaski » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Ok stripped the loom where the existing Blue/ Red wire goes from the loom to the pressure switch, and as i remember 39 years ago It went in for its 8k service. Now the only Blue/Red cable IS from the loom to the pressure switch via that crankcase opening with the grommet. When It went in they found a fault with that cable, cit the cable in the loom and just made a extension from the damaged part in the loom straight to the pressure switch bypassing the cable in the crankcase.
Attachments
IMG_20200609_162311.jpg

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi tjaski
I have no idea what they did so many years ago...The B1 oil pressure switch is at the bottom of the oil pan but there's a wire running above the upper crankcase to what? Did they put a new oil pressure switch at the departure of the oil line running towards the oil cooler?
I have no clue...try to take some more pictures maybe it becomes clear that way.
GrtZ
Philippe

tjaski
new poster

#9 PostAuthor: tjaski » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Ok, Will try to explain what i have found, on mine the oil pressure switch Is located on the top, at the rear of the crankcase. The cable Blue/Red stripe, goes from this then down into the crankcase, then CES back up the loom at the top of the plenum chamber. The last photo i poster shows the Blue/Red cable spliced with shrink wrap connected to the Blue/Red cable that comes down the loom, you can see in the loom where the stub of the Blue/Red cable still exists, this Is the original bit that goes down the loom, and comes up behind the starter motor, out through the Rubber grommet then into the pressure switch. Not sure of that all makes sense...but all working now.
Attachments
IMG_20200612_170202.jpg

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:02 am

Hi tjaski
Now I see it! OK ! So they swapped the oil departure of your B1 with an oil departure of an older Z with an oil cooler. That way they could measure the oil pressure on top of the crankcase while leaving the original switch in the sump. They had to connect the wire of the "new"oil pressure switch with the wire coming from underneath.
As long as it works it's fine. Thanks for the additional picture! One pictures says more than a thousand words!
If you want to swap it to original you need a working B1 oil pressure switch in the sump and an original oil departure on top of the crankcase and change the non original parts with those and connect the original wires again.
GrtZ
Philippe

tjaski
new poster

#11 PostAuthor: tjaski » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for your help, as i am working forwards, my next problema are rounded sump plug, and rounded filter bolt , used grips, refiled the simo plug, but still gets rounded, used a 1 metre breaker,....Will be applying some heat tomorrow. Plus a sheared exhaust manifold stud, heat to that too.

Return to “Projects”