Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

ELR Bolts and fixings finish

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

ELR Bolts and fixings finish

#1 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:28 pm

I have just about completed stripping the 1000R2.
I'm send in the frame to be stripped and powder coated and the head to have two fins I made up welded before repainting the casings.
The bolts and fixings were a combination of corroded, painted, tatty chrome and shitty black allen/hex bolts.
I see here some of you send off bolts to be re coated. what are my best options? How can I match the original finish on each set? I can't find any old picture that are clear enough and can't be sure any more recent pics are as per spec. Is there any reference material out there. It would be a shame to go to this length and not look into getting the original finish right :??

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: ELR Bolts and fixings finish

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Most of the Lawson bolts were black but not a matt black like most black zinc it was slightly shiny. Originally there were a lot of hex #7 bolts and not many Allen head. Check the parts list on Kawasak.com the give you lengths and colour of what should be there, it says black if it should be black. Some bolts are still available but sometimes are can be superseded part number so the one you get isn't black... There's various debates about the actual shade, and it's not easy to get anything other than straight matt black zinc. I got a lot of stuff done by a crowd at Mallusk who had done stuff for a guy I know who does a lot of work on LC Yams and I think it's near enough and not overpriced. Not that close to you though and you're not allowed to go roaming around anyway at the moment. :shock:

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:01 pm

A lot of bolts were finished in “drab olive”
Your plater will know what that means.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

MrDavo
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: MrDavo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Be aware of minimum job costs from platers - I wanted to get a set of four Z1 air cleaner clamp bands redone in their original drab olive zinc finish, and was quoted a £50 minimum job cost, more than the new set of bands (in black) had cost in the first place!
1974 Z1A
1969 H**** CL450 ‘Scrambler’
2005 H-D XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport

chrisNI
Site Admin

#5 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:26 pm

tlc wrote:A lot of bolts were finished in “drab olive”

I wouldn’t bet on it... :shock:

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 am

I got a lot of stuff done by a crowd at Mallusk who had done stuff for a guy I know who does a lot of work on LC Yams and I think it's near enough and not overpriced. Not that close to you though and you're not allowed to go roaming around anyway at the moment.]:shock:

Thanks Chris, I can ring them and post up bolts if its a runner, also I work up that way from time to time so if I need to call I can just wait until I'm up that way . Can you please send on more details?

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 am

MrDavo wrote:Be aware of minimum job costs from platers - I wanted to get a set of four Z1 air cleaner clamp bands redone in their original drab olive zinc finish, and was quoted a £50 minimum job cost, more than the new set of bands (in black) had cost in the first place!

I will put as many bits together as possible so the minimum order might not be the issue, it may be to total price!! :eek

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am

chrisNI wrote:
tlc wrote:A lot of bolts were finished in “drab olive”

I wouldn’t bet on it... :shock:

:lol: I remember these on the GPZ500s and ZX4's. The main thing is to try get the right colour or replacement bolts. I know it is something I could change easily enough down the road, but now is the time to get it right.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#9 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Skid Mark wrote:Can you please send on more details?

PM sent - they were £30 a bucket last time...

Return to “Projects”