Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

1400 Mk2 Restomod

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

1400 Mk2 Restomod

#1 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm

I've wanted to buy my old Turbo Zed back for awhile, as its owned by a friend. He started to restore / modify it but hasn't been able to do much with it for a few years. Like me he has other bikes that need work, and there's only so much time and money he can devote to his projects.

The bike was built in the mid eighties as a road legal drag bike.. I'm told by the original owner that it was one of the fastest such bikes of the time.

Fast forward twenty years, the poor Zed had been left languishing in a damp shed when I saw it, bought it and brought it home. The engine was stripped and found to have bent conrod and other serious problems.

The original plan was to restore it back to its turbocharged glory. But as ever life gets in the way and I sold it on to my friend who had other plans for the old Zed.

The turbo has long gone, as have the lightweight wheels, forks, frame an bodywork! But even so the engine is still something special. It has a big block from Orient Express which allows it to be taken out to 1400cc.

The good news is that the bike comes with a different 79 MK2 frame, that's been braced and strengthened and modified to take wider modern wheels, its even powder coated. In place of the classic Z1 bodywork, it comes with a good set of MK2 bodywork, though it'll be getting a new paintjob.

I'm still considering the details of the rebuild, its a road bike, so the engine will be built with the 1400cc block, no turbo, but with high end wheels, brakes and suspension. Unlike most of my projects which drag on for years, I'm aiming to complete this one by my next birthday in January 2022.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: 1400 Mk2 Restomod

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi Bevelhead

that seems to be a good project to me! It's great to see a bike brought back to a usable state.
Good luck with the rebuild! keep posting pictures of your progress.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

thebuelligan
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: thebuelligan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:09 am

Great project and another Zed saved, which is always a good thing ;)

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Seems old Zeds are like buses, none for ages, then two turn up one after the other. This Z650 needs a little work , but hopefully not too much to get it back on the road.
Attachments
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg (270.82 KiB) Viewed 92291 times

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:45 pm

I've been thinking about the bodywork, since not much to do at the moment, found this pic somewhere on the net. Anyone know what brand/model the cockpit fairing is from, and where I can buy one. Had a look on the PMC site but couldn't see it there..

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Having finally pulled the tank and bodywork out of its packing, I've had a change of heart regarding the repaint. The original paint is just too good to be resprayed. The tank did around 2000 miles on the bike, before it was removed and stored for many years. So now I'm just going to have the ZRX12 front mudguard colour matched, and also have a small scratch on the tail section sorted out.

Meanwhile the ZRX forks have been rebuilt with new stanchions from Tarozzi. I had wanted to go for the gold Ti option, but the supplier said its not available for the ZRX. However, they could have the new stanchions coated for me... for £303 on top of the £288 for the stanchions. Thought that was too much, so will not bother for now.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:57 pm

Good plan :D

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 pm

The engine cases have been cleaned and carefully checked to make sure they have no cracks or damage. That done the cases and block are going off to be powder coated in satin black next week, as soon as our current lockdown ends.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:53 pm

The ZRX12 forks are now rebuilt with new Tarozzi stanchions, the sliders had been powder coated satin black awhile ago, which caused a problem. The damping adjusters at the base of each leg had to be removed when they were powder coated, something that isn't supposed to be done. As the spring and ball bearing inside slightly damaged the 12x1 thread in the mechanism. Fortunately they were cleaned up with a tap and die and the forks could be finished. The chassis looks a bit nose down, but once the engine is back in the frame, its weight should bring the lower frame rails parallel with the ground. Also the wheels, rear shocks and bars wont make the final build.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Got the engine cases and block back from Triple S... powder coated in satin black, very similar to the factory finish.. excellent finish but expensive.

750 R1
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: 750 R1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:37 am

Bevelhead wrote:I've been thinking about the bodywork, since not much to do at the moment, found this pic somewhere on the net. Anyone know what brand/model the cockpit fairing is from, and where I can buy one. Had a look on the PMC site but couldn't see it there..

That's a class4 engineering fairing from Japan
https://japan.webike.net/products/21330903.html

This ones similar and cheaper
https://newmotorcycleparts.net/windshie ... ersal.html

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info, v helpful.

I tried the bodywork on the bike for the first time the other day, still need a seat, which is on back order via Z Power. I bought a used crank to get the one good conrod I need to rebuild the crank I want to use.. only to find the one I bought wasn't from 78 as advertised, but much earlier, with smaller big end bearings.. so cant use a any of its conrods. Then again it was in overall good condition, so I'll have it rebuilt and welded anyway for another future engine.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:57 pm

With my 1170 project coming to an end at last, I've started to work on the Mk2. I bought a crank from D&K which turned out to be for a Z1000A1 and not an A3, probably my fault for ordering the wrong part. So I ordered another and its now been taken apart, checked, cleaned, trued and welded ready to go in the engine.

Meanwhile the A1 crank has also been rebuilt too and is sitting on a shelf waiting for to be used one day,

The replica seat arrived from Japan via Z-Power, along with a replica rear lamp. A front headlight is out of stock, so will have to wait to get one.

One of the many parts I need for the engine is a starter motor. I've been told that a starter from a Hodna CB900F fits and is more powerful than an OE starter (0.8 Vs 0.6 kw) .. can anyone confirm if this is true??

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Bevelhead wrote:I've been told that a starter from a Hodna CB900F fits and is more powerful than an OE starter (0.8 Vs 0.6 kw) .. can anyone confirm if this is true??

Either that or a starter from the later J/GPZ 1000/1100 as these are also stronger 0.8 kw four brush motors.

Bevelhead
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: Bevelhead » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:07 pm

zed1015 wrote:
Bevelhead wrote:I've been told that a starter from a Hodna CB900F fits and is more powerful than an OE starter (0.8 Vs 0.6 kw) .. can anyone confirm if this is true??

Either that or a starter from the later J/GPZ 1000/1100 as these are also stronger 0.8 kw four brush motors.

Cheers, that's good to know.

Return to “Projects”