Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Oh dear what a mess

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Neilzed
Regular Poster

Oh dear what a mess

#1 PostAuthor: Neilzed » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi all, i am a very recent member and have bought a Z1000j with a GPZ1100B1 engine, well thats what i thought. Now this poor Zed has apparently been sitting outside and very unloved for nearly 20 years, and is in a very poor condition. I thought i would see if the engine would turn over by hand [i admit i bought it unseen , with only a couple of photos to go by]. It would turn over a bit then stop with a clunk, oops !. Ok time to see what is up with it, all the spark plugs snapped off [well rusted into the head, i used heat and penetrating oil with no luck].Not a good sign of things to come, i then tried to remove the exhaust, took me hours as it had rusted onto the head and the alloy retainers wouldnt budge. Ok now for the fun, i removed the head and found number 3 exhaust valve head sitting on top of the piston, but no sign of damage to the piston crown or head [mystery that one] and number1 exhaust valve seized , well that explained why the engine wouldnt turn over fully as the valve head with 15mm of stem was jamming against the head. The head is a Z1000J with gpz1100b cams, i dont know the state of the rest of the engine yet, that fun is to come [wish me luck].
So i am looking for either a Z1000j or GPZ1100B1 Head, if anybody has one for sale then please let me know, thanks. :roll: Neil

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Oh dear what a mess

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:12 pm

Hi Neil

seems to me that you don't need a Gpz1100B1 cylinderhead ( the one with the holes for the fuel injectors) A Z1000J or Gpz1100 B2 head will do the job.
You can also use a ZX1100A ( Gpz1100 UT) head but keep in mind that those have the valve shims under the buckets.
Put some pictures on here because one image says more than a thousand words.
I would check the valve stems to see if they're not bent.
There's a lot of work waiting for you but I'm sure you can manage it.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:36 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi Neil
You can also use a ZX1100A ( Gpz1100 UT) head but keep in mind that those have the valve shims under the buckets.
GrtZ
Philippe

The 1100A Unitrack bathtub head also has a steeper exhaust valve angle so the valve relief in the piston needs modifying for clearance.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:07 am

Yes, you're absolutely correct zed1015!
I didn't thought of that.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

baz
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: baz » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:18 am

shall we have a competition to find something Rob doesn't know :D

Neilzed
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Neilzed » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 pm

Hi again, i have attached some photos of "Private Pile" as my wife has named it. As you can see it isnt very pretty, but i can see potential. :sf :sf :sf :sf :) Neil
Attachments
IMG_0039 (1).JPG
IMG_0014 (1).JPG
IMG_0013 (1).JPG
IMG_0012 (1).JPG
IMG_0006 (1).JPG

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi Neilzed

it's a "private pile" with a lot of potential, see it as a challenge, don't get discouraged by a rusty frame or an engine that needs to be resprayed.
You'll get there in the end, one piece at the time!
I've restored worse than that.
Good luck
Philippe

Neilzed
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Neilzed » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks for the positive comment.
Fortunately i can see through the rust and general poor appearance, just have to find the time to tackle it. I will post more photos as i progress .
Cheers, Neil.

willemz900
new poster

#9 PostAuthor: willemz900 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi Neil how is the bike going on?

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sat May 07, 2022 9:11 am

Hi Neil
You have got a bit of work on there!
But I always feel it's better than spending your evenings in front of the tv!
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

Neilzed
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Neilzed » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks for the comments. I still havnt started work on it as yet , mainly due to having another bike which is in the process of being rebuilt and restored, no its not Kawasaki, it is a Suzuki GSX1100EZ :eek , which is a 1 0wner UK bike 25k miles, stood since 1992 and only made for 1 year and pretty rare, i even have the original sales invoice with it. This should be completed by summer and then i can concentrate on Private Pile. :ghostface

Return to “Projects”