Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Little zed carbs and Plungers

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Zebedee
100Club
100Club

Re: Little zed carbs and Plungers

#16 PostAuthor: Zebedee » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 am

zed1015 wrote:
Zebedee wrote:
Brimmed it back up with shell vpower 5% at £2.01 per litre and it works out at 32 mpg for a mostly 6-70 mph run.

Pulled the plugs when I got home and they were like the coalmans cat, black and furry.

So ive leaned off the airscrew a further 1/8th of a turn and I’ll see what difference that makes?

Thoughts and collected wisdom please?

Looks like the new plungers seals did their job although the MPG is still a little low.
However! unless you did a high speed plug chop the colour of the plugs only indicates the running conditions when you came to a stop, not main jet fueling.
Is the bike is a US model as some years were jetted differently and had a 95.5 main and different needle etc .
To determine main jet requirements you need to cut the igniton under load at over the 3/4 throttle position.
Sounds like you should be on the right track looking at the pilot mix and lower end fueling.

Its an Italian import. As in it was originally sold in Italy and then imported to the Uk a few years after. The Haynes manual says main jets 100 so I bought some but then didn't fit as advice on here was to stick with 102.5 mains and I didnt want tot to be too lean.

The choke plungers has definitely made a huge difference and Im not done yet with airscrew adjustment and balancing. It was only a quick set up to get it back on the road, and able to have a ride out.

I've tried leaning off the airscrews a but more and Ill see what the mileage (KPH) is on this next tank of fuel?

Also I put a brand new set of B8ES plugs in for that tank of fuel and the B7ES that came out were like the coal-man's cat
- black and furry. One tank of vpower 100 miles 160 km and the new B8ES were the cats twin?
Zedbedee Zz
Big Zed medium zed and little zed
Z1000 LTD Z900 ltd z650 B1
:oops:
I’m normally doing something.
Quite often its something wrong?
Its just I don’t realise until later.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 pm

B8's are cooler than B7's so will soot up even worse.
Khi originally listed B8's as standard but almost immediately issued a service bulliten changing the to B7's due to sooted plugs in normal road use.
Do yourself a favour and stick to denso w22's which are equivalent to B7's heat range but are a whole lot more user friendly.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

zapo
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: zapo » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:39 pm

You can change the mains by just taking the bowls off.
It's fiddly and you need a short right angled cross head screwdriver...... unless your bowls are held with hex head screws which makes it easier.
Oh, and be very careful not to hit/bend the floats if you take off more than one bowl at a time.

Return to “Projects”