Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New Registration

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

olnmfc
Regular Poster

New Registration

#1 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 am

My 1980 z500 has fallen off DVLA register so I had to get a Dating Cert and am filling in the V55/5. Question is the Fee - As this is stated in the dating Cert as Historic vehicle, does that mean I am exempt from the £55 fee? The Guidance V355/5 Appendix A states historic vehicles are exempt from First reg fees where "previously registered with old local authorities". Which presumably all these bikes will have been before their details fell off from the DVLA records?

I have emailed DVLA to ask but not expecting any quick response..

Thanks in advance!

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: New Registration

#2 PostAuthor: z2.john » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:19 am

Unfortunately not. The £55 is for the V55 paperwork and not the road tax. Once they have re-registered the bike you will then be able to pay zero road tax. The 'old local authorities' bit goes back long time ago before DVLA took over. I think this relates to the old brown card docs issued up to about the 1960's.

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:11 am

z2.john wrote:Unfortunately not. The £55 is for the V55 paperwork and not the road tax. Once they have re-registered the bike you will then be able to pay zero road tax. The 'old local authorities' bit goes back long time ago before DVLA took over. I think this relates to the old brown card docs issued up to about the 1960's.

Ok, thanks for reply

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:32 am

Help! Again! - I've run into next problem on the V55/5 and no help on the Guidance note! There's a whole lot of info required on type approval, dimensions, power Euro status etc that guidance states are on the Certificate of Conformity - but I've not got such a thing, or ever heard of one. Suggests also a MSVA certificate, but don't have such a thing either. No documents with this bike, hence why applying for new registration with Dating Certificate from VJMC. Does anyone know if you have to fill in these boxes in such a case - surely can't be that unusual a situation this, but no mention made when I applied for my Dating Certificate from VJMC?

Cheers!

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:34 am

P.S On the headstock there is a sticker which I think reads E11 10B 241 - Is this something of relevance to this?

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: z2.john » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:31 am

You can ignore all those questions. They are intended for newer vehicles.
The E11 sticker is a European compliance sticker. No need to worry about that regarding this application

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:18 pm

z2.john wrote:You can ignore all those questions. They are intended for newer vehicles.
The E11 sticker is a European compliance sticker. No need to worry about that regarding this application

Phew - thank goodness for that - many thanks! ;-) :D

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 am

Help! :roll:
Tearing what remains of my hair out here with the DVLA.. :eek
After several months, they've now replied to reject my First Registration as they say there is no NOVA. There was no mention of NOVA on the V55/5 Guidance. All I thought was necessary was the Dating Cert which as mentioned I got from the VJMC. Why should I have to go through the importing a vehicle process, when the bike was already a UK bike, dated at 1980 by VJMC? :ghostface
Something a bit cryptic towards the end of their letter - they say If I wish to reapply, return original application amending date of first registration - I'd stated at box 30 "Date from which tax is to run (date of Registration)" as 4th July, when I applied. Are they looking for something different here I wonder to avoid a Nova??

Any assistance appreciated, as this must be a regular situation, for bikes like mine where DVLA have just lost track of the vehicle details over time, despite me having the frame, engine and original registration number, just no original V5 document

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: z2.john » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:29 am

It's not clear here what the issue is.
Is the bike definitely a UK bike? (ie, never been imported?).
It seems DVLA think it has never been registered in UK before. When you first acquired the bike from a previous owner, did you ever get a V5? If not the PO may have sold you an import without NOVA.
I have to say it seems odd you have the original reg number. As much as we like to slag off DVLA I'd be surprised if they couldn't track down the bikes records.
try putting in reg at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:47 am

Yes that's right, no V5 with bike when I bought in N.Ireland, but it had it's original registration plate still on the bike with "Belfast Kawasaki", address etc on the plate, so seems clear to me was bought new from Belfast - part of the UK. The bike had been off the road for the last 30+ years and when that happens DVLA seem to lose the vehicle info from their records. Before I applied initially for the new v5 document (simply change of keeper + £25) I searched for previous MOT history etc on DVLA/Gov website, but "NO RECORD FOUND" - that's when alarm bells started ringing for me, as I suspected the reg would be lost. I've come across this before trying to register an LC...

So..

Updated News..

Phoned DVLA and spoke to helpful chap - he admitted having heard the story, that it sounded like "human error" at DVLA and to resubmit my forms with covering letter, as clearly the bike import duty will have been paid by Kawasaki in 1980 when the bike was sold in Belfast, as there is no suggestion anywhere as to import.

I'd much prefer to have been able to keep the original reg VOI 4747, but hey ho seems like after 4 months I'm not much further forward and will be writing to DVLA with returned forms tomorrow.

All the best and many thanks :luv

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:51 am

photo attached re reg
Attachments
20220604_190905 reg.jpg

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: z2.john » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:00 pm

you should be able to keep original number. I too have a N Ireland number plate and DVLA said I could keep it. i think you need to contact NI DVLA
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/dr ... rn-ireland

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:44 pm

Will try and see - they're closed today. Interestingly that website says you can't check online for a vehicles Mot history for N.Ireland vehicles..

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#14 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:03 pm

Got through to them. No help whatsoever. Referred me to DVLA. Ah well seems like its onwards with the damn First Registration "human error" and original number will be lost. Maybe they sold it to someone else..
Latest photo, note cleaned up Koni's from fellow member Bro' gray
Attachments
20220713_160934.jpg

olnmfc
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: olnmfc » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 am

How long does it take DVLA to get their act together?

To cut a long story short - I first applied for a registration (simple change of keeper with v62 as no log book) nearly 6 months ago. DVLA told me registration not found so had to get Dating Cert & apply First Reg. Did that and then they told me I'd need NOVA. Phoned them and they said oh, that's "human error", reapply. Did that a month ago, still no response.

Unbelievable....

Return to “Projects”