Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Restoration of a Z1000H (God help me please)

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Restoration of a Z1000H (God help me please)

#16 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Hi men

the previous time I mentioned the other frame parts which needed a less shiny gloss.
They're all painted.
It took me again some time to strip all the old paint but I managed it.
This is the result:
DSCN7919.JPG

As you can see, again a lot of parts.
Every time again I wonder how many parts there are on a bike and how much space they need to store them.
It's like a big three dimensional puzzle, they all fit together and then they don't take that much space anymore.

After the frame parts I started on the engine.
The cranckcases were degreased, stripped, degreased again and taped off.

DSCN8049.JPG

DSCN8050.JPG

They received a coat of satin black "Restom" paint.

DSCN8051.JPG

DSCN8052.JPG

The contrast of the black paint and the polished aluminium is beautiful!

DSCN8053.JPG

DSCN8054.JPG

In the mean time the new tyres arrived, Bridgestone BT 46 Battlax.
I mounted them on the wheels .

When the new parts arrive the assembly of the frame and of the engine can begin.
I'm waiting for news about the bolts and nuts and other parts to be replated.
When those are finished the assembly will go fast.

More news to come soon!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Gentlemen

I had lots of fun the past few days.
When I dismantled the engine a few weeks ago, I noticed that the clutch basket needed repair.
The springs were loose and one of them was broken.
In the past I already ordered some repaired clutch baskets and so I had a few old spare baskets which needed repair before they could be used again.
I decided to order a repair set and to do the job myself.
Pieter Laterveer, a very good mechanic from Holland gave me advice by sending me some videos of how to do it.
So I decided to give it a go after seeing the videos.

I started by grinding the 3 rivets away.
DSCN8065.JPG

After that the rivets were drilled out with a drill of 9.5 mm
DSCN8066.JPG

Don't drill them completely away, leave a bit of metal so you can punch them out.
DSCN8071.JPG

When the rivets are out you have a lot of parts. Make sure you mount them back in the right order!
DSCN8070.JPG

The old springs came out and yes, one of them was broken
DSCN8068.JPG

When putting the new springs in, make sure you use one thick and one thin spring at a time between each rivet
The thick spring goes into the rectangular hole of the inner disc so it has a bit of space compared to the clutch basket.
DSCN8067.JPG

I used two M8 bolts and nuts to keep the different parts of the clutch together and slided a rivet in the third hole.
After the first rivet was fastened, one bolt was removed and the second rivet was fastened, after the third rivet this was the result:
DSCN8073.JPG

These are the tools I used to tighten the rivets
DSCN8074.JPG

The rivet heads need a support when you want to fasten them, I used a steel wedge in a bankscrew.

When I mounted the clutch basket on the axle I used a new needle bearing, it would be unwise not to do that .
So this one is ready to be used again (I hope so... :ghostface )

DSCN8075.JPG

More news to come soon!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:48 pm

Hi guys I'm back

After the clutch adventure I couldn't resist to start the assembly of the frame.
The swing arm was first, followed by the rear shocks and the main stand
DSCN8089.JPG

Then the yoke was mounted with new conical roller bearings and the fork stanchions were assembled too.
DSCN8090.JPG

This is how the frame looks now
DSCN8091.JPG

It starts to take some shape.

To close off the day I replaced the starter clutch mechanism.
The rotor came off quite easy with a pneumatic impact wrench.
I used a new needle bearing ...

DSCN8092.JPG

...and new starter clutch rollers and springs

DSCN8093.JPG

So this one is ready to be mounted again

DSCN8094.JPG

That will be something for tomorrow: the assembly of the lower engine.
GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:07 pm

Hi men

it's been a good day !
The lower engine is assembled and the pistons are mounted.

DSCN8095.JPG

A new endless 124 link camchain is used before the cranckshaft went into the upper cranckcase.
The assembly went smooth, it only took me one and a half hour to get the lower engine together.
The cleaning of the pistons, putting new rings on and mounting them on the cranckshaft took me another 2 hours
Once again I waited to install the oil pan, you never know what the clips will do...
After the pistons were secured, the oil pump and the oil pan were mounted.

DSCN8098.JPG

New O-rings and gaskets were used.

DSCN8099.JPG

In the afternoon the temptation became too big and I mounted the lower engine in the frame...

DSCN8100.JPG

The gear shift mechanism was installed afterwards, I do that afterwards to resist the temptation of using the gear selector shaft to lift the engine .

DSCN8101.JPG

So that's all for today.
More to come within a few days.
GrtZ
Philippe

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:47 pm

Speeding though it my friend!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:21 pm

Hey guys

the past week I've been busy with cleaning, degreasing and stripping off paint of the barrels and cylinder head
This morning the parts were taped off after a final degreasing session and painted.

DSCN8265.JPG
The taped off cylinder head

DSCN8266.JPG
The freshly painted barrels

As you can see I'm using an old camshaft cover to protect the inside of the cylinder head against paint. Old half moons are used also to close the upper side.
The exhaust openings and the opening for the rev counter gear are protected with paper. The rest of the openings are taped off.

DSCN8267.JPG

DSCN8268.JPG

This is the result when the tape is removed.
Perhaps some of you can see that the cylinders are honed too. That's necessary when new piston rings are used.

In between cleaning and degreasing I also found the time to polish and to add a protective varnish to the cranckcase covers.
Those will be baked soon and mounted.
The battery box and a few electrical components are mounted, it starts to look like I'll manage to do the restoration.

DSCN8270.JPG

DSCN8271.JPG

I'm still waiting for a lot of bolts and nuts to be replated. The replater said it would take 4 weeks...perhaps his weeks last longer than mine.

When the paint is fully cured the cylinder barrels will be mounted, the valves will be placed in the cylinder head and then the engine can be assembled completely.
That's something for next week.
GrtZ
Philippe

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:16 pm

Hey guys

today has been a successfull day!
This morning I mounted the barrels on the cranckcase. A 15 minute job with the Kawasaki piston ring compressor but before I could mount the compressor I needed something to keep the pistons steady.
The pistons of the Z1000H are different from the ones used on an other Z1000.
Not only are the half moon depressions on the crown bigger but the mantlet itself doesn't reach as deep . I needed other things to hold them steady. I used 10 mm soft copper tubes, you all know these, the plumbers use them to connect water taps.
Once that done, the pistons slided in the barrels and another step was taken.

Then it was time to mount the valves in the cylinder head. When that was done I started to mount the camshafts in order to check the clearances for the valves. The exhaust valves had 0,15 to 0,20 mm of play so that was OK.
The intake valves had clearances between 0,25 to 0,35 mm...a bit too much. After changing shims the play was reduced between 0,12 to 0,15 mm. Fair enough.
In the mean time the cranckcase covers were baked in the oven to cure the clear coat.
When they cooled down I mounted them.

This afternoon the cylinder head was mounted, the camshafts were installed and the camtiming checked
All went very good and this is the result after a day of fun.

DSCN8315.JPG

DSCN8317.JPG

So far so good.
Next week more news.
GrtZ
Philippe

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:43 pm

Another nice find I will watch with interest
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:59 pm

Hello men

it's been a few weeks since my last update but here it is.
The past few weeks I've been waiting for the parts to be replated...I spent the time with preparing the body parts in order to paint them.
As usual all the old paint was removed. The fuel tank and the front mudguard needed putty in order to hide the traces of damage caused by little accidents a long time ago.
The usual sequence of filling, grinding, painting, filling,....had to be performed 4 times before I was pleased with the results.
The plastic body parts received a layer of adhesive primer and a layer of epoxy primer before they received a layer of gloss black.
Now all I have to do is grind them with wet or dry sanding paper with a grit of 1500 and 2000 before I can apply the transfers.

Last thursday, july 13, I received a phone call from the replater: the parts were ready !!!!
I immediately went to Brussels in order to get them and I spent the rest of the day sorting them out.
On friday I started adding the brake rotors on the front wheel and the axle so I could mount the front wheel under the fork legs.

DSCN8576.JPG

The rear wheel was assembled and mounted and yes, she's on her wheels!

DSCN8575.JPG

Now that I had all the replated parts back I was able to mount the clocks, the handlebar, the switches,...

DSCN8577.JPG

This morning I started to mount the air valves, the fuel injectors and the fuel pump.

DSCN8578.JPG

The air flow meter and the air cleaner house were installed too

DSCN8579.JPG

I couldn't resist the temptation of mounting the body parts on the bike to see what it looked like

DSCN8581.JPG

A lot of these parts are just mounted to see if they fit, and yes, a few of them will have to change place in order to be at the correct place so that everything works.
It's cramped in there, a lot of parts in a small place and they all have to work together to let the bike run as it's supposed to do.
More news next time.
GrtZ
Philippe

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:38 am

Looking good!
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Tony
Regular Poster

#26 PostAuthor: Tony » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:15 pm

Hello philippe any update on your h it’s been a while since you’re last post cheers tony

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:59 am

Hi guys

I know it's been a while since my last update...not much news.
I'm waiting for the parts to be rechromed, I don't hear anything from the rechromer allthough I tried to reach him a few times.
Perhaps next week I'll try to phone him again.

In the mean time I started another project...it's on 4 wheels and it dates from 1942: a GPW Ford, a Willys Jeep and as usual a basket case but that's another story and not suited for the Z1OC.

GrtZ
Philippe

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#28 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:44 am

Ahh i beg to differ.. think every one here would love to see a few photos of the jeeps transformation... :D

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:26 am

Hi Z1streetfighter71

you asked for it, you'll get it !
I'll start a new subject in "the bottom shed" and if the admin doesn't agree he can place it somewhere else or delete it if it's not suited.
GrtZ
Philippe

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#30 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 am

Philippe wrote:Hi Z1streetfighter71

you asked for it, you'll get it !
I'll start a new subject in "the bottom shed" and if the admin doesn't agree he can place it somewhere else or delete it if it's not suited.
GrtZ
Philippe

Ill be following :D

Return to “Projects”