Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J Project

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

iceberg

Z1000J Project

#1 PostAuthor: iceberg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi All,

I guess I should move from the 'Hello' page to here as my wreck is in fact a project. Will put some pics on tomorrow, but thought I would ask a few questions in the meantime.

First off, I think mine is a J2, how do I make sure, and actually does it make much difference for spares etc?

I am planning on putting a set of 1100 barrels on (and have spoken to a nice chap at Debben) but wondered what model barrels will fit?

I have also thought about a different frame and remember that Spondon used to make one. Does anyone have a view about a) are they worth the money (subjective I know, but would be interested in opinion) and b) does anyone else make a worthwhile frame?

What is a good front / rear end combo to use? I'd like to get some wheels with a reasonable choice of rubber, and wondered whether I'd be better getting forks / wheels / swingarm from the same make of donor, or whether they can be mixed and matched easily? In either case, any recommendations about what to use would be gratefully received.

As you can probably guess, this is really my first rebuild of this nature and I'm not a huge stickler for originality. I will be using the beast daily and so would prefer something a little different but practical in the sense of handling, ease of maintenance etc.

I am fairly handy with the spanner, but have limited time, so any time saving tips would also be very welcome.

And some hundreds and thousands on top too please ;o)

Thanks in advance, and I'll get the pics up as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Jason

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:38 pm

First check your V5C it should list the make and model.
Check your frame number against the information on the back cover of the genuine Kawasaki workshop manual,for model identity.
If you check the model history section of the Z-POWER website,you should get the info you require.
There are only slight detail differences between J1/J2,so no worries.
You'll need a set of 1089cc from a GPz1100 B1/B2 model or a shaft Z1100.
The good thing about the 1089cc block is that you bore it straight out to 1170cc (75mm bore).
Spondon still make the alloy tube frame kit for the Z motor and I'd guess would also make 1 in steel as well.Speak to Stuart on 01332 662157.
I guess you'd be looking at £3K upwards,so is it worth it to you :?:
Remember that the works Lawson race bikes has virtually standard frames.
As for different forks,brakes,wheels,etc there's no definitive answer.
A good starting point would be to look at as many modded ZEDZ as possible to get some ideas/inspiration and go from there.
Jack

iceberg

#3 PostAuthor: iceberg » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks Jack.

I've been wading through the forum here to see what ideas I can gather for forks etc. Trouble is, I'm reading this and not doing my own bike ;o)

Good thought about the V5 too, I hadn't thought to look. D'oh!

Good news about the barrels. I always thought that 1100 barrels would fit, but didn't ever know which models. I'm hopeful I've sourced a set. I had my eye on 1170, but will go for the 1075 if I have to.

Cheers,
Jason

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: london calling » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 pm

1170 is a real good size for the J/GPz motor as you don't need any new liners or the crankcase mouths boring,etc.
Last edited by london calling on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

Re: Z1000J Project

#5 PostAuthor: paul doran » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:44 pm

iceberg wrote:Hi All,

I guess I should move from the 'Hello' page to here as my wreck is in fact a project. Will put some pics on tomorrow, but thought I would ask a few questions in the meantime.

well welcome and good luck with the rebuild
way too many Zeds

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Iceberg! I am close to finishing a Lawson project and have built a front end using FZR 600 fork legs, GPZ unitrack front wheel with R1 discs and AP race calipers. Fork legs are 38mm and slide straight in to yokes so only mudguard needs fettling....

At the back it has ZXR1100 swinging arm sleeved down to fit standard spindle with ZRX400 rear wheel sprung with works performance shocks. Everything except shocks came off eBay so not cost a fortune and it looks pretty good as a rolling chassis! One day I'll put an engine in it (currently with Tim Blakemore Racing in Bristol) and post up some photos.

Frames on the CRMC racers are only braced in a couple of places so really easy to do rather than expense of complete new frame.
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

iceberg

#7 PostAuthor: iceberg » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Sounds good, do you have photo's perchance please?

Speaking of which I haven't been able to put mine up yet. :o(

R's,
Jason

martinz1000r
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: martinz1000r » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 am

Yes I know! on the to-do list......

Watch the projects forum for "and yet another Lawson" coming soon
Z1000R, Moto Martin GPz, z900 A4 Crosby Replica, Harris Magnum 2, Suzuki GSXR 1100 Slabbie, SP1 Hoonda x 2, Katana 1100, Bimota SB6R and Tuatara

RoyNorway
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: RoyNorway » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

:mor
Could not resist! :lol:

Welcome iceberg. :P
Z1000J 82 model, and Z1000R 83 model, And The Calfshit-GPZ1100-

iceberg

#10 PostAuthor: iceberg » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes, I know. :oops: I'll get some up soon.

Trust me, you'll laugh. I've seen some of the other posts describing their project as a 'shed' and yet when the pictures come they look infinitely better than mine does.

Suffice to say, I have weeds and moss growing on it. :(

Return to “Projects”