Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

UK spec 900 A4

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Thezedsintheshed
100Club
100Club

UK spec 900 A4

#1 PostAuthor: Thezedsintheshed » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Last weekend I picked up a UK spec 900A4 in bits off Fleabay , I have probably made the same old classic mistake because I spotted it with 2 mins left on the auction and thought sod it and stuck a blind bid in on it :roll:

Picked it up on the Saturday morning after a 500 mile round trip in my rustbucket Corsa :oops:

The bike seems to be as described and all there with a few extra bits chucked in as well.
The one major down side to it is that some idiot has cut off the rear footrest loops off the frame and then attempted to re fabricate some replacement loops in their place and made a right balls up of the job.

There are some nice bits in with the bike and the old standard parts as well
good bits include a pair of alloy wheels and a standard front wheel, alloy swin arm and standard swing arm, 4/1 and standard pipes, 2/4 seat, wiseco 1105cc piston kit, spare bottom end of engine and some new parts as well including grab rail, switches and a few other small bits.

As well as the footrest loops the only other obvious problem that I can see that needs to be sorted out are some minor water marks on 2 of the bores which I am hopeing to be able to hone out.
The standard pipes are solid with good chrome but they are dented to hell and back , they look as if they have been used to beat the crap out of next doors cat at 3am one morning :shock: , but even so they are going back on the bike !
The game plan is not to go the full restoration route but to fix the rear footrest frame loops then paint the frame , get hold of a standard spoked rear wheel ( anyone got a rear wheel that it looking for a new home :lol: ) clean the rest of the parts and rebuild the engine with whats there using a new gasket set and hopefully land up with a slightly scruffy looking well used originalish Z900
and all this within the next 6 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: hopefully ready in time for the South West Rally
I will post more photos as work progresses
first job is find the tin opener to get it back out of the car :lol:

It's not broke , just in bit's for a while !

RoyNorway
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: RoyNorway » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:55 pm

This is nice!

Just let the pics come! :lol:

Hope that all the engine parts are there, and in good condition.

:D
Z1000J 82 model, and Z1000R 83 model, And The Calfshit-GPZ1100-

Geoff Meager
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Geoff Meager » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Mate .....Hope you get it up & running within the allotted time :shock: :shock:

Would be nice to see the finished Bike :D

davejames
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: davejames » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 am

That's what cars are for...........filling full up of stuff when you can't fit anything else in the garage ........... :oops: :oops:

Looking forward to seeing pics of the re-build as it progresses :D :D
Feng shui................my arse

knut
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: knut » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 am

from now on you,ll have to change your name to thezedsinthecar :lol:
best of luck with the project
what,s there to say except we,re all mad on here.

PJones
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: PJones » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:52 am

That looks a great project - keep the pics coming - good luck

cheers

pj
WHO NEEDS DRUG'S

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 pm

I had a set of barrels that had BIG rust in bores.A bit curious one day decided to vapour blast them,just to see what happen? the bores looked like a crisp,[ salt`n`vinegar],after a time I was amased to see two bores
that looked ready for honeing.If I remember ,will try to take decent photo and post it.

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#8 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:31 am

Keep us informed of your progress, as I am intending on making the trip to the south west rally,hopefully get a few more of us to travel from this area

eastlondon
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: eastlondon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Check out this ebay listing on ebay america. There are a set of wheels identical to yours and apparently they are a very rare Henry Abe set. The price is currently at $1400! I think you may have done all right!
Raf
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-Kaw ... dZViewItem

z1bnackerkwacker
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: z1bnackerkwacker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Was also thinking that wheels look interesting...

Yes, do like them.......... :)

Keefleaf
ZedHead
ZedHead

#11 PostAuthor: Keefleaf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:20 am

I think the wheels look like the ones sold as "Mick Grant" wheels.I remember seeing his stand at a show and they had sprayed a Z650
matt black,every thing except his bolt on goodies.

Thezedsintheshed
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: Thezedsintheshed » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Have only just picked up on the link for the wheels :shock:
I didnt buy the bike to sell bits off at a profit but to build it up and get it back on the road where it belongs.
Having seen the price that the wheels finally went for , $1645 then I think that I might have a better chance now of swapping the alloy wheels for a good set of spoked wheels as was my initial intention.

The 6 week time scale for getting the bike back together is already 2 weeks behind :oops: because of work commitments but I have managed to make a bit of progress , I have managed to get hold of a knackered frame to take the rear footrest loops from to sort out the *^%$"*! job that has been done on the frame for this bike so this weekend should see a lot of progress on the rebuild.
Photos to follow.
It's not broke , just in bit's for a while !

RALPHARAMA
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#13 PostAuthor: RALPHARAMA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Perhaps one of the Septic 's would put them on their e-bay for you. You could get some really lovely stainless wire wheels for the money you make even if you have to pay someone a commission for flogging them. Whilst I am not in favour of folk buying bikes to break for profit this is clearly different - you clearly bought the bike to build up, you didn't like the wheels, I don't either, they're worth a mint - flog 'em for what you can get. Praps you could contact the runner up bidders? I would - it'll mean you can afford to spend more on making your bike perfik :lol:
Ralph Ferrand
Z1000A1 (1977), Godier Genoud Z1300A5 (1983), Z900A4 Stock (1976), Z900A4 Special (project), GPZ1100 Unitrak (1983), ZRX1200R (2004) DT175MX (1981).

http://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk

Don't be caught out http://www.dhlparcels.info/

steve bowdler
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#14 PostAuthor: steve bowdler » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 am

Do not worry Phil it is only five weeks before the south West rally,get your finger out :)

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

I had some mick grant wheels on my streetfightered zed in about 1981, i have a picture somewhere, if i can find it ill post it on here.

Return to “Projects”