Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My Z1000 project

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

My Z1000 project

#1 PostAuthor: Padders » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:58 pm

As someone who really likes to follow the rebuilds posted by other members and Dave at Z power, I thought it only right that I post my ongoing rebuild for others to follow or ignore your choice. The bike is known to regular Z1OC members having been bought from Ash in Oct. The bike was rebuilt by Ash into the sreetfighter style shown in the first 6 pictures. However a so called friend of Ash's borrowed the bike and left it to rot outside during winter, burning out the back tyre blowing the fork seals and generally treating the bike like Sh**. Once Ash had "arranged" the return of the bike he posted it for sale on this site where I saw it and bought the bike. So here begins the strip and rebuild to hopefully see the bike close to the bike shown in picture 7.

This is the basic outline of how I want the bike to turnout. The bodywork is away at Spraybay and should be back in the next 3 weeks.

Engine in the frame waiting to be stripped out.

This shows the parts of the frame Ash had strengthened and a spacer used for the ZXR750 H1 forks. I am having a set of yokes made with an original Z1000A2 stem and offset. This will allow me to use the standard Z1000A2 bearings in the headstock and will increase the steering lock which has been reduced with the ZXR yokes.

A couple of pictures of the engine this will be stripped down and have the barrels and head painted black with the casings polished up. The clutch was stuck when Ash got the bike back so this will be stripped down and new plates fitted. A Dyna 2000 ignition will be fitted along with Dyna coils and leads. The 29mm smoothbores will be refitted with K and N filters and a pingel tap.

A couple of photo's of the frame stripped. Plans are for a set of rearsets being made for the bike along with a bracket welded to the frame for a set of passenger pegs. A set of alloy headlight mounts and at the rear a small brembo brake will be mounted. The front brakes will be a set of Harrison Billet 6's I picked up off e bay. The rear wheel needs moving over by 7mm to line up in the ZRX1200 swingarm. Next pictures posted will hopefully see the freshly powdercoated frame with parts being photographed as they are added to the bike.

Cheers Padders.

I recieved the frame swingarm and wheels back from the powder coaters yesterday so set to with the rebuild. Below are 3 pictures showing progress so far. Hopefully post some more next weekend with the swingarm attached and shocks on etc.

Last edited by Padders on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Davy Doherty

#2 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Sounds like your on the ball Padders, Jezz thats a fine looking bike you'll end up with, This project's section is a brilliant idea!!

Condolini

#3 PostAuthor: Condolini » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:16 pm

Hey fella, thats goin to be one hell of a bike, didn't fancy a monoshock then ?.

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: london calling » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:28 pm

Ian,i hope all these mods have got the nod from the Minister?? :vcool
Jack

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#5 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 pm

good luck with it Ian
it seems to have deteriorated since I first saw it
are you going to change the clock mounting's
way too many Zeds

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#6 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Davy Doherty wrote:Sounds like your on the ball Padders, Jezz thats a fine looking bike you'll end up with, This project's section is a brilliant idea!!

why not post some picture's of your 72 Davy
way too many Zeds

Plumba 54

#7 PostAuthor: Plumba 54 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Good luck with the rebuild Padders, if this thick southner can ever work out how to post pics he will put pics of his on here as well

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Padders » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Yes Jack the boss is fine although I am having to have rear indicator and grab rail mounts welded back on and a one off grab rail made. I swapped the single Corbin seat with Big John, he bought my old Z900 with a smart eddie lawson type seat on, just right for the boss.

Paul,
The new yokes being made will have a mounting for the standard clock bracket so they will sit as normal.

Condolini,
The type of rear end was not too much of a consideration. I like both monoshocked specials and twin shocks. Ash had the rear mounts on this frame moved out so that the shocks are not at an angle as on many bikes fitted with wider rear swing arms.

Pumba if I can post pictures anyone can. Although I had instructions from Chris/Iain/UK Kev before I got it right.

Cheers Padders

Ed Z1-R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ed Z1-R » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:56 pm

Good show PADDERS :up :D its good you is rectifying the :shock: yokes and have binned the seat,the way it lipped up the tank didnt do it for me.Look forward to seeing the progress and finnished job :D

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:47 pm

I recieved the frame swingarm and wheels back yesterday so have started the rebuild. I have posted some more pictures on the original post so that it follows on if anyone wants to have a look.

Cheers Padders

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#11 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:08 pm

looking good Ian
but hardly be ready for Donnington
only joking I won't hold you to that promise
way too many Zeds

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Padders » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Yes I think Donnington will be a struggle Paul. Target date now is for Stafford in April though I hope to have it on the road by the end of March.

Cheers Padders.

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi Ian,
looking good, be nice to see it in the flesh, [so to speak].
Good luck!
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

big green bus
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: big green bus » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm

looking good ian keep the pics coming

Padders
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Padders » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:02 pm

I am afraid the project will be going no further. I have been given first option on buying back my Harris Magnum and would like to take John up on his offer. Before that though I need to raise the money. As such the Z1000 must be sold so if any club member wants to buy any of the parts listed and shown in the project let me know. I will be listing them on e bay but would prefer to sell to a Z1OC member at a cheaper price to keep the parts in the club. Sorry for all those that have assisted during the rebuild so far, however I have always regretted selling the Harris and would like to have her back if possible.

Cheers Padders.

Return to “Projects”