Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My Z900 A4 Rebuild

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

My Z900 A4 Rebuild

#1 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 pm

How ye all doin?, still gettin the hang of this and just stuck some pics up on photobucket so do'nt slag the f**k outta me too much if I made a complete balls of it :D . Just let me know what I did wrong.

I bought the bike about 6 weeks ago and started work straight away, all work is bein done by myself (and me credit card, haha).
It's bein eh... interesting, as I'm sure everyone on here knows already.

Anyway, enjoy the pics if I've set them up right, here's the link to the album.
Cheers, Gavin.

http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww30 ... mview=grid

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm

Looking good. Well done so far :D
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Well, Hagon are sending out replacement shocks for me, hopefully the shop will have em for the weekend but knowing the post they probably won't :x

I decided to order the billet cam end lugs from z-power to solve the weeping cam cover problem for once and for all.
I'm also just waiting for a new cam cover gasket and float bowl gaskets from wemoto and the main jets from motocarb.

Finished the brakes the other day, I switched the forks so the calipers are behind the axle and have used brand new goodridge brake lines I had off a bandit12 for the front brakes, they're a perfect fit.
I also used a front master cylinder from a Bandit12 as well and ended up havin to "modify" the standard banjo bolts I had to fit the calipers ( taking off 8mm and redrilling and countersinking them).
So far so good :D

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Looking really good. I am amazed you've managed to do so much in only six weeks.

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:Looking really good. I am amazed you've managed to do so much in only six weeks.

Cheers, to be honest I've being goin at it like a lunatic (the bike, I mean), nothin better than a damp shed at two in the morning :lol:

I finished spraying the last of the bodywork this week, the petrol tank, it's all nice an shiny now and ready to have the badges stuck back on.

eastlondon
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: eastlondon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Looking good. The z1 side panel badges look better than the standard z900 ones. I think I'll stick some on my a4.

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:26 pm

eastlondon wrote:Looking good. The z1 side panel badges look better than the standard z900 ones. I think I'll stick some on my a4.

That was my reason for doin it anyway, I got mine from the states from www.z1parts.net, all their stuff is well priced, €31 for the proper badges inc. shipping and I got mine in about 4 days, they have a spot on ebay as well so you might get em cheaper again.

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

Test run disaster

#8 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Well, got the bike sorted finally, newly rebuilt carbs gone in and set up, everything double checked before first firing. She started up first touch of the button :D , ticked over absolutely perfect and revved thrue fine.

Soooooooooo.... decided to take her for a quick low speed test spin out the road and back just to check how she went.

All went grand until I went to pull away and turn up onto a small bridge, power on bike went no problem and then outta nowhere the brakes bit like a f*****G pitbull and down we went.

Luckily I took a back pack full of tools with me and I was only up the road from home, the left caliper was locked solid to the disc but I did eventually get it off, I ended up having to take the pads out and drive home using the back brake, unfortunately the front end was after taking a beating and from a quick look something has being badly twisted.... a very slow, sad and wobbly drive home.

Also the charging system seems goosed as the new battery went pretty much dead and I had to use the kicker, which was'nt too good seeing as my leg took quiet a belt and I could hardly bend my knee.

Pretty disasterous first run, but sure I suppose things could always be worse, the bikes parked in the shed, I'm parked on the couch and I suppose tomorrow I shall get to work, I'm praying that there is no damage to headstock/frame, it was a low speed spill but the forks/wheel look comletely arseways.:evil:

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Glad you're alright chap. Hope its nothing major and you can get it fixed ok.
1979 Z1000ST

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear your maiden voyage was far from smooth!
Forks are probably just twisted in the yokes, slacken of all the pinch bolts on the yokes & spindle & they should twist back just fine.
Check voltage across battery terminals when bike is running at 3-4000 rpm 14.2v would be perfect, lower would suggest regulator is cream crackered.
Good Luck!

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Ta Lads :( , I'm hoping that's the case with the forks, will find out tomorrow. I have a spare regulator here, but it is a genuine unit as well, still it might do the trick for the time being. I have checked the comined reg/rec units available from zpower and z1 enterprises as well so will seriously think about just getting one of those since it seems they will just plug straight in and save a lot of hassle, and I see quiet a lot of recommendations for em on here.
Dunno what happened with brakes, never had that happen before, it was totally unexpected and I have to admit it caught me by surprise big time.

Thankfully the rest of the bike seems A1 except for a snapped clutch lever and scuffed bar end. Full inspection tomorrow. :wink:

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#12 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:39 pm

The brakes only have to 'drag' a bit.... then they heat up... the b/fluid expands & pushed the pads tighter to the disc......

This compounds the problem & then the brakes bind on :!:

Could be caliper not correctly aligned in forks or pads been swapped... uneven wear :?:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:49 pm

have you replaced the disc with one thicker than usual.this would be in line with what pigford says.ie binding.
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Pigford wrote:The brakes only have to 'drag' a bit.... then they heat up... the b/fluid expands & pushed the pads tighter to the disc......

This compounds the problem & then the brakes bind on :!:

Could be caliper not correctly aligned in forks or pads been swapped... uneven wear :?:

New ebc pads gone in both calipers, they're both mounted spot on too, what your saying about the heat and expansion sounds like a definate culprit, There were no problems when running her up an down outside the house tho and I made sure to pump the brakes plenty of times and they stayed free :??

I reckon yer right tho pigford, it does seem the only plausable explanation, I will be going over the whole lot anyway. Cheers

Z.O.A
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: Z.O.A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 pm

hillbilly wrote:have you replaced the disc with one thicker than usual.this would be in line with what pigford says.ie binding.

Hey Hillbilly, the bike did only have a single disc when I first got it and it was the thicker 7mm, I bought a set of twin discs tho and a set of calipers, the new discs were thinner but in great condition and even, I checked them and could'nt see any signs of warping, maybe braking for all the bloody speedbumps on our road contributed.

Return to “Projects”