Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Colinj's Z1A1 rebuild

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

AL MARSHALL
100Club
100Club

uttoxeter

#46 PostAuthor: AL MARSHALL » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:38 am

hi colin, i am an ex uttoxeter man now living in hanbury. i wonder if i know you. anyway if i can help just ask. btw are you going to uttoxeter show?

regards al
trouble.......seek and ye shall find
www.z-clocks.co.uk

colinj
Regular Poster

To Do or Not to Do?

#47 PostAuthor: colinj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 am

Steve,
That's a good idea, I will give it some serious thought, thanks!

colinj
Regular Poster

To Do or Not to Do

#48 PostAuthor: colinj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:05 am

Al,
I don't know, I'm sure we will have bumped into each other before, I used to haunt the Old Star when Simon & Jacquie ran it, they were mates! Thanks for the offer of help, I'm going to need plenty! I will definately be trying to see the show, recon the family need a day out! :)

colinj
Regular Poster

It's my Birthday & I got Presents!

#49 PostAuthor: colinj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Presents from myself from 25 years in the past.......... :D

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#50 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Colin, you've kept this bike (or most of it) for 25 years :? It's already a part of you.
It would be a crying shame to sell it on....... You are most of it's history!
I think Steve R has the right idea, build it into a rideable bike, then improve it as time/funds allow. I would suggest you have the frame powdercoated/painted to start with, then build it up from there. I have a set of cams. They are your's free of charge, if you decide to 're-birth' another Zed, rather than sell it/her as a pile of parts.
Go on, do the right thing........... Give life to a Zed

colinj
Regular Poster

Col's rebuild

#51 PostAuthor: colinj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Ginger Bear, unless the prognosis is real bad on both the transmission and the cams then I really want to see this one through as it is, as you say, very much a part of me. I have honestly looked forward to doing this since 1982 (boxed it in '84).
Thanks very much for the offer on the cams, if I find mine are beyond repair I will be in touch ref buying them from you, they must be damned hard to get hold of these days, I could not accept them gratis but you are unbelievably kind to offer.
The frame is already stoved (pearl Grey, like the swing arm) I have just run out of space and left it in the loft.
Who can I go to to give me an honest opinion on the transmission shafts, & to get it re-bearinged? I would say they will be fine but I want to give myself the best chance of success from the start! :wink:

Many Thanks & Regards, Col

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#52 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Colin, Most Kawasaki bearings are pretty bullit proof. You'll be surprised what comes up on ebay! Replacement/substitution via ebay is a good way to go.

Steve R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#53 PostAuthor: Steve R » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:16 am

I found SEP engineering near Donnington to be very helpfull at looking at things and giving an honest opinion. They also did a very good job, boring and honing mine and repairing a couple of broken fins.
Their details are on the Links page.

colinj
Regular Poster

Bearings

#54 PostAuthor: colinj » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:18 am

Ginger Bear,
I have seen sets at ZPower and ZEterprises and 'cause I already need the two crank cases was going to e-mail pics and depending on the comment and price, bag the remains and take them up to see what was said :roll:

irhobotolo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#55 PostAuthor: irhobotolo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 am

Best of luck with the project. It wont cost a "kings ransome" unless you go for a original restoration. Ebay is best for parts both UK and USA.
Zpower will have most things, Z1Enterprises and Midatlantic cycle in USA are good but factor in the shipping costs.
The bike is part of your heritage and breaking it for spares would be a crime. I would tackle the rebuild one part at a time. Dont try to build a bike in one go or you will get lost. Treat each bit as a separate project. For instance build the engine, or sort the wheels and brakes. I would concentrate on getting the bike together rather than rechrome or polishing as this can easily be done over a winter when you have a runner. You have all the expensive bits already so i cant see it costing a lot and if your not fussed about all new parts you should be able to get it on the road for a lot less than its worth.

PJ
Hardcore
Hardcore

#56 PostAuthor: PJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 am

Hi Colin,

This is on ebay, set of cams and he states gearbox parts,

Contact him matey

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-Z1000-A1 ... 3:1|294:50

Cheers

PJ
WHO NEEDS DRUGS - WHEN YOU HAVE A ZED!!

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#57 PostAuthor: tlc » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:03 pm

irhobotolo wrote:The bike is part of your heritage and breaking it for spares would be a crime.

Break it......................and sell me the best bits :lol:

Get it back on the road and come to a rally is more like it :D
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

irhobotolo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#58 PostAuthor: irhobotolo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:30 pm

tailiftchris wrote:
irhobotolo wrote:The bike is part of your heritage and breaking it for spares would be a crime.

Break it......................and sell me the best bits :lol:

Get it back on the road and come to a rally is more like it :D

Now that i have seen that NOS piper exhaust, I think Chris has a point and some parts need to go. In fact to help you out ,I will take that nasty noisy none standard pipe out of your way. You simply must have standard pipes on your particular model for it to be right. I will even leave my tea and come round now if you like. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :roll:

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#59 PostAuthor: Rich » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:57 pm

So what are your plans, build it and sell it or keep it?
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#60 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 pm

got to check it yet,but a bike shop near me is supposed to have a set of engine cases with no numbers on.for a z .brand new in box. :shock:
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

Return to “Projects”