Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Colinj's Z1A1 rebuild

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Steve Cooke
ZedHead
ZedHead

#61 PostAuthor: Steve Cooke » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 pm

[/quote]
Now that i have seen that NOS piper exhaust, I think Chris has a point and some parts need to go. In fact to help you out ,I will take that nasty noisy none standard pipe out of your way. You simply must have standard pipes on your particular model for it to be right. I will even leave my tea and come round now if you like. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :roll:[/quote]

And I was hoping nobody else would notice that Piper. :(

colinj
Regular Poster

#62 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:12 am

Steve R wrote:I found SEP engineering near Donnington to be very helpfull at looking at things and giving an honest opinion. They also did a very good job, boring and honing mine and repairing a couple of broken fins.
Their details are on the Links page.

Steve, I wish I'd seen this before going up to Download yesterday, could have made the trip really worthwhile :(
I wouldn't mind but I'm back there Sunday to see Journey! I will give them a ring and take another trip end of next week, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

colinj
Regular Poster

#63 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:18 am

irhobotolo wrote:Best of luck with the project. It wont cost a "kings ransome" unless you go for a original restoration. Ebay is best for parts both UK and USA.
Zpower will have most things, Z1Enterprises and Midatlantic cycle in USA are good but factor in the shipping costs.
The bike is part of your heritage and breaking it for spares would be a crime. I would tackle the rebuild one part at a time. Dont try to build a bike in one go or you will get lost. Treat each bit as a separate project. For instance build the engine, or sort the wheels and brakes. I would concentrate on getting the bike together rather than rechrome or polishing as this can easily be done over a winter when you have a runner. You have all the expensive bits already so i cant see it costing a lot and if your not fussed about all new parts you should be able to get it on the road for a lot less than its worth.

JR,
I am going to concentrate on the engine to begin with and, as you say try to build it over this summer/winter. Once done I will be better fixed for electrics and chassis work and may have sorted a decent rear end out. I narrowly missed a GSX 1100 swing arm n wheel off flea bay last week bidding on a PDA away from home pc, still plenty of time yet!!!

colinj
Regular Poster

#64 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:20 am

PJ wrote:Hi Colin,

This is on ebay, set of cams and he states gearbox parts,

Contact him matey

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-Z1000-A1 ... 3:1|294:50

Cheers

PJ

PJ will be on this guy for some information today, thanks very much for the lead, really appreciate it!

colinj
Regular Poster

#65 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:36 am

hillbilly wrote:got to check it yet,but a bike shop near me is supposed to have a set of engine cases with no numbers on.for a z .brand new in box. :shock:

Hillbilly, please let me know soonest, if these are for a Z1000A1 then I am already sweating as "new" would be the way I'd love to go

colinj
Regular Poster

#66 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 am

Rich wrote:So what are your plans, build it and sell it or keep it?

Rich, If I get this right she will be a keeper, I just need to make sure I still like the Black, silver and chrome look when I'm done. I always wanted a streetfighter, if I was after re-selling I would have to go for the original build. :wink:

colinj
Regular Poster

#67 PostAuthor: colinj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:54 am

Steven Cooke wrote:

Now that i have seen that NOS piper exhaust, I think Chris has a point and some parts need to go. In fact to help you out ,I will take that nasty noisy none standard pipe out of your way. You simply must have standard pipes on your particular model for it to be right. I will even leave my tea and come round now if you like. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :roll:[/quote]

And I was hoping nobody else would notice that Piper. :([/quote]

Steve C, irhobotolo, I knew people out there would recognise a good exhaust, despite it not being standard, when I bought this way-back I was so damn excited, still the best looking and sounding exhaust of the day that I've seen by a country mile :D

Thezedsintheshed
100Club
100Club

#68 PostAuthor: Thezedsintheshed » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:04 pm

I have been offline for a while and have only just picked up on this thread so anyways if you are still looking for a set of crankcases I have a spare set here if you still need them ?
might even be able to dig out a gearbox as well :D
It's not broke , just in bit's for a while !

colinj
Regular Poster

Ref Transmission

#69 PostAuthor: colinj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Thezedsintheshed wrote:I have been offline for a while and have only just picked up on this thread so anyways if you are still looking for a set of crankcases I have a spare set here if you still need them ?

Thanks very much for the offer, I am trying to have my stuff assessed this week for the chance to clean and use the main and lay shaft arrangements. I am still trying to get the cases and have a new set as a potential and an offer on a second hand set which may be accepted. If either fail can I please get back to you?

Again Many Thanks for the offer it is really appreciated and may still be required soon!!

Col

Thezedsintheshed
100Club
100Club

Re: Ref Transmission

#70 PostAuthor: Thezedsintheshed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:19 pm

colinj wrote:
Thezedsintheshed wrote:I have been offline for a while and have only just picked up on this thread so anyways if you are still looking for a set of crankcases I have a spare set here if you still need them ?

Thanks very much for the offer, I am trying to have my stuff assessed this week for the chance to clean and use the main and lay shaft arrangements. I am still trying to get the cases and have a new set as a potential and an offer on a second hand set which may be accepted. If either fail can I please get back to you?

Again Many Thanks for the offer it is really appreciated and may still be required soon!!

Col

Hi Col
if the other offers fail to turn up then send me a pm , the cases and gearbox are here if you need them.

cheers

Phil
It's not broke , just in bit's for a while !

nanno
100Club
100Club

#71 PostAuthor: nanno » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Go for it mate, that's gonna be one lovely bike!

Btw. if you're looking for Kat-Rear-Swingarm, I have one... but... it's located in central Europe (Austria), so I guess shipping costs will rule this one out ?

Cheers,
Greg
There's no replacement for displacement!

colinj
Regular Poster

Re: Ref Transmission

#72 PostAuthor: colinj » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Col
if the other offers fail to turn up then send me a pm , the cases and gearbox are here if you need them.

cheers

Phil[/quote]

Phil,
really appreciate it, I am still trying to get a couple of answers on the offer and opportunity but I will let you know ASAP. Many Thanks

Col

colinj
Regular Poster

#73 PostAuthor: colinj » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:53 pm

nanno wrote:Go for it mate, that's gonna be one lovely bike!

Btw. if you're looking for Kat-Rear-Swingarm, I have one... but... it's located in central Europe (Austria), so I guess shipping costs will rule this one out ?

Cheers,
Greg

Greg,
thanks for the encouragement, I have been after a braced n polished GSX1400 set-up, not sure if that is what you have got (excuse the ignorance here, getting older and more out of touch by the day!!) is that what you have?

Col

nanno
100Club
100Club

#74 PostAuthor: nanno » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Colin,

nope, not quite... I have one from a GS1100 Katana (mid 80ies) Aluminum-Box-Section-Swingarm for sale.

But still, this one's going to be nice!

Greg
There's no replacement for displacement!

colinj
Regular Poster

#75 PostAuthor: colinj » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:14 pm

nanno wrote:Hi Colin,

nope, not quite... I have one from a GS1100 Katana (mid 80ies) Aluminum-Box-Section-Swingarm for sale.

But still, this one's going to be nice!

Greg

Greg,
thanks for the offer, shows how much I am out of touch not getting the "Kat" reference......I really want the braced Gsx1400 unit look, hope you get a buyer tho and thanks for the offer!

Colinj

Return to “Projects”