Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New Devonshire member - GPz1100B1

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

shakeydrummer
Regular Poster

#16 PostAuthor: shakeydrummer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:04 pm

welcome Vinny!
GPz1100B1 Restoration

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:07 pm

VinnyE wrote:Hello and welcome from a fellow newbie with a GPZ1100B1 !
Mine is also "quite a project" - it already has had the Fuel Injection removed and carbs supplied - but not attached!

Mr Bump, I would be very interested in your carb setup for the GPZ1100 with air box.
I do not want to go down aftermarket air filters even though they make carb removal and refitting a lot easier. Getting the jetting correct can be a nightmare if original airbox is removed. Would your setup be ok for an 1170 kit?

Hi I'll need to dig my little book out to remind myself exactly what jetting i ended up with. The air box is a modded gpz750 unitrack. Z1000j airbox clashes with the battery box on a b2, so probably on a b1 as well.

I'll get back to you with more detail

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Cheers Olly!
I will look forward to hearing about your jet setup in the near future. :D

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

VinnyE wrote:Cheers Olly!
I will look forward to hearing about your jet setup in the near future. :D

Hi, the setup I've got on mine has been there for quite a long time - I've got some interesting history with this bike as I originally bought it in Sydney and rode it most of the way home in 2001. When I bought it I told the seller I was taking the injection off. He said 'gpz750 unitrak carbs and air box, 125 mains, don't go near pod filters' (he'd owned a few of them).

I've evolved it a bit since. Still running the same carbs and air box, but the round lid that is also the intake funnel has had nearly all of the silencer tube bit cut off to unmask the filter, leaving the curved leading edge to smooth the airflow. Using a k&n with this lid mod really made a big difference.

To accomodate this change I've ended up with .40 pilot jets, 135 mains and needles on 4th or 5th notch (can't remember which) on a standard b2 lump with a Harris pipe. This runs really clean and makes good power.

I'm probably on the top end of what I can do with a set of 750 carbs, at least on these needles, so I'd tend to start with z1000j or z1100 carbs if modifying the engine internals. The GPz 750 and the 1000/1100 all use mikuni bs34's with the correct spacing, but the needle jets etc will differ quite a lot.

If you are starting with z1000/1100 carbs you may not need the increase in pilot jet size that I have. I'd speculate that an 1170 but otherwise standard engine won't actually suck much harder than an 1100, so 140 main would probably be a good place to start.

Thats all I can offer - you'll have to establish the final jetting set up depending on what carbs and engine spec you have, but the main tip is to use a 750 unitrac air box with a cut down lid.

Hope that helps.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Many apologies for not responding sooner - forgot that this thread had your post in it !
Appreciate your response and the settings suggested - will give them a try,
Many thanks, Vin.

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#21 PostAuthor: paul doran » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Welcome Shakey
I have a 72Z1 not unlike the condition of Your bike
way too many Zeds

shakeydrummer
Regular Poster

#22 PostAuthor: shakeydrummer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:56 pm

renovation plans?
GPz1100B1 Restoration

chrisu

#23 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:03 pm

shakeydrummer wrote:Thanks for the replies guys and all the advice. Well-heeded!
I am based in Mid-Devon just a few miles north of Exeter - nice to see so many Devonians on the board! I'm sure there will be plenty to pick your collective brain over in the next few months.
Dave (Pluto), do you happen to have an air flow metre and/or air filter housing?

So far I have managed to remove the old spark plugs, turn the crank by hand and remove the lock cylinder from the petrol cap without damaging the cap. So all good so far.

Has anyone found a neat solution for sprucing up the dashboard fascia? I have some replacement clockfaces but would like to repaint the dashboard fascia. This will obliterate the 'Turn, Neutral, High Beam' etc. lettering. Any thoughts?

Off to clean out the petrol tank!

I've got some spare FI stuff. Pm me with what you're looking for

jules
100Club
100Club

#24 PostAuthor: jules » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Welcome from another Devonian. Fair project there!!
P.U.M
'78 z1000a2,'83 1000r,'76 Z900a4,07 gsxr1000k6,'01 bj250,'03 husky 450,'83 Z1170r Lawson.

kwackered
Regular Poster

#25 PostAuthor: kwackered » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 pm

A warm welcome from me too . Plymouth Bred ,Plymouth Born .
Life is a journey . Not a race .

Return to “New Here?”