Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Thought I'd say 'Hi'

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

Thought I'd say 'Hi'

#1 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Been a member of this board for years, but never really posted, so thought I ought to introduce myself.
I've recently taken voluntary redundancy and re-evaluating my life after 20 odd years in a very stressful (but well paid) job....
Been riding bikes since I was 16, with a 10 year lull in the middle when children came along..
Anyway, I'm just in the process of importing a 1977 KZ900 from the USA as the right one came along at the right price. Same owner since '78, all original except for the seat and exhaust. Full service history, owners manual and toolkit. Does have a dint in the tank though...
However, as I am a bit OCD when it comes to condition, I'm sure I won;t be able to resist meddling with it. Not sure whether to leave as is, do a resto or restomod. (I do like the Sanctuary stuff and like the idea of doing something like that with it).
I already have a '79 Z1000st which has been stripped and in boxes since '96 and owned one between '81 and '90.
I currently also have two highly customised ZRX1200r(s) and a Triumph Tiger 1050.
Hoping to leverage some of the expertise and experience of fellow members on here when I inevitably start meddling with the 900.
I'll post up pictures of the 900 when I get it and if anyone wants to see the ZRXes I can post some up.
Cheers

AlanB
100Club
100Club

Good luck and well done

#2 PostAuthor: AlanB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Hey Ultim8pc - Great decision on the ER front - I'm in a similar boat and just got myself a z1000 a2 to enjoy !! Alan

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Thought I'd say 'Hi'

#3 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Ultim8pc wrote:Anyway, I'm just in the process of importing a 1977 KZ900 from the USA as the right one came along at the right price. Same owner since '78, all original except for the seat and exhaust. Full service history, owners manual and toolkit. Does have a dint in the tank though...
However, as I am a bit OCD when it comes to condition, I'm sure I won;t be able to resist meddling with it. Not sure whether to leave as is, do a resto or restomod. (I do like the Sanctuary stuff and like the idea of doing something like that with it).
I already have a '79 Z1000st which has been stripped and in boxes since '96 and owned one between '81 and '90.

Welcome.

A4 4x4 pipes and seat are easily available, and there are several good painters who we can recommend to sort the dent and put her back to the original Diamond Dark Green (or Brown).

Going down the custom route with such an original-ish A4 would not only be a bit of a shame, but would also destroy the bikes Value. ST's prices are MUCH less so this would be the better option to modify.

Good luck.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#4 PostAuthor: paul doran » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Welcome and yes post some pictures of the rex We love them on here
way too many Zeds

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Welcome ... glad you got around to it eventually :D

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:19 pm

ZedHead wrote:Welcome ... glad you got around to it eventually :D

:oops:

Gaz1063
new poster

kz900

#7 PostAuthor: Gaz1063 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi ultim8pc, ive just bought a kz900 had to strip it down to see if there anything else going on ive not seen, I think to keep it original is worth doing as many were moded as I remember back in the late 70s early 80s :( .its what people wanted to do then as in mags and four into ones etc, depends on your preference.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Al » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:55 am

Welcome Ultim8pc
AL
1981 J1

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 pm

All, thanks for your comments so far. As suspected the advice seems to be to not mod it (or too much). As you can see from the pics of my Rexes, I like to customise and keep them in top notch condition.
Anyway here's Rex1:
Lots of money spent: Ohlins front and rear, Dymags, Galfer discs, Handmade Over Racing Ti and carbon exhaust, Arata rearsets, lots of billet parts.
Won ZRXOA Bike of the month a few years back.

Here's Rex2:
WP rear shocks, ZX-9r fron end, Dymags, Galfers, Extra braced swingarm, Brembo masters, ISR six pot calipers. PDQ Hi-comp tuned engine (155Hp & 90ft/lb torque) with ZZR cams, flowed head and ultra rare 34mm Yoshi FCR-MJN flatslide and Akra exhaust and and a crap load of of Ti fasteners.
Won ZRXOA bike of the year a few years back and was featured in Performance Bikes.
I didn't build this, I bought it earlier this year. I am asset stripping the bits I want off it to fir to Rex1 and selling the rest along with the bike in standard spec. (I'll be keeping the engine, carbs, masters, braced swingarm, ISR calipers, TI fasteners).

Here's the KZ900A5 I have on the way:
Non-oem and unpainted RH sidepanel, dint in tank and headlight rim where the owner decked it a few years back.

Here's the ST I had from '81 until '90:
Did a full strip down (including engine) in '88, with braced frame (you can just see some of the bracing on the swingarm), raised compression and some headwork by TTS with Dyna coils. Stove enamelled the frame and engine. Z1300 18" front wheel, Koni shocks and later than this photo a Marshall black ceramic exhaust with stainless can and Lawson style seat.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:31 pm

A4 looks a nice find.

Junk the comedy seat and that rear scaffolding, fit a set of 4x4's and you've got yourself a nice Z1. :)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Garry.L wrote:A4 looks a nice find.
Junk the comedy seat and that rear scaffolding, fit a set of 4x4's and you've got yourself a nice Z1. :)

Garry, Frame and engine numbers indicate it's an A5 bitsa....
Indeed those will be the first thing I rip off and replace.
Also, the owner is sending a box of parts with it which includes the original grab rail, a new set of sprockets and chain, oil and air filters and some other bits n bobs. :)
And double bonus; found out it has Dyna coils and ignition on it!
:D

Return to “New Here?”