Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

And yet another newbie

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Chaz66
Regular Poster

And yet another newbie

#1 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi All
Just got my first 4 cylinder Z. It's an imported, 1982, Z1000 LTD. I know, the cheap end of the market but I've wanted one of these ever since my big brother returned from Japan after testing the new Z's in the early 80's. He brought me a pile of brochure stuff and the 1000 LTD was a favorite.
I had a carb model Z1300 about 20 years ago, what a bike! So reminded me of my old RD400E. Nothing quite like a 6 cylinder for some insanity!
The bike I've bought isn't making the power it should, IMO. It's had it's emissions pipes reinstalled, apparently it made it run better! Before that it had problems around the 2/2.5k mark. I've been browsing away, using the search stuff for information, found a few bits and bobs that are useful. I may well end up asking questions that have answers out there already, I'll try and find em first,,, honest :)
I'll post a pic once I've sussed it all out a bit more.
I've now got to wash, polish and photograph my outgoing bike, a Hodna Blackbird. I know I'm gonna miss her smooth, effortless power and handling, but it's time to sit back and actually take in some of my surroundings. Things can get a little blurry on a Bird :)
I'm down south in the Petersfield area in Hampshire so if anyone is in this neck of the woods it'd be nice to meet up sometime.

Cheers all

Chaz
Barking Mad as always

1982 Z1000 LTD, running work in progress

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: And yet another newbie

#2 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome aboard Chaz...

Here is a guide to posting pics - viewtopic.php?p=341270#p341270

G
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: G » Sat May 27, 2017 7:05 am

Welcome Chaz

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Al » Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 am

Welcome Chaz, i'm not near Petersfield but do reside in N.E. Hants. Maybe a carb strip, U/S and clean is in order.

AL
1981 J1

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Jay1969 wrote:Welcome aboard Chaz...

Here is a guide to posting pics - viewtopic.php?p=341270#p341270

Great, thanks Jay

8747608.jpg
8747608.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
Barking Mad as always

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Al wrote:Welcome Chaz, i'm not near Petersfield but do reside in N.E. Hants. Maybe a carb strip, U/S and clean is in order.

AL

Hi Al
I have receipts from the previous owner who had that done last year. That was the same mechanic that refitted the US emissions boxes...
Unfortunately I just don't have the time to get to grips with all of this for the next week or two, and till the Bird has flown the coup. Frustrating, but something to look forward to too. Coils, compression test, fuel filter/tap, etc. will all get checked over the coming months. Valves too, which will be highly entertaining as I'm a total newb re those.

If you're NE Hants you won't be too far away. I'll look forward to meeting you sometime. Dare say that with Loomies a 20 minute ride away from where I am that I might see you and a few others there sometimes.
Barking Mad as always

Jay1969
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Jay1969 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Looks very tidy, good luck with sorting all the little probs.
Last edited by Jay1969 on Sun May 28, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:53 pm

G wrote:Welcome Chaz

Cheers G :D
Barking Mad as always

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Welcome Chaz........nice bike but you MUST keep the Blackbird as well it's a fantastic bike.

Steve
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Al » Sun May 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Never been to loomies Chaz, i am now the SE regional Poxhall Vectra drivers rep for the Z1OC as i dont have a road bike any longer :cry:
That said i do have some tools and bits and pieces that may help you mess, i mean fix it up a bit.
If you get desperate let me know.
Mark Hutton is in youre area. Used to be A&H performance possibly still is and there is nothing he does not know about these bikes.

AL
1981 J1

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:56 pm

wheelysteve wrote:Welcome Chaz........nice bike but you MUST keep the Blackbird as well it's a fantastic bike.

Steve

There's no denying that Steve, the Bird is a fantastic bike and it will be a great shame to see her go. But go she must. I've just shut down my small company and starting a new career so all funds are required. I should have just sold the Bird and not got another bike, but that was "inconceivable".
Barking Mad as always

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Al wrote:Never been to loomies Chaz, i am now the SE regional Poxhall Vectra drivers rep for the Z1OC as i dont have a road bike any longer :cry:
That said i do have some tools and bits and pieces that may help you mess, i mean fix it up a bit.
If you get desperate let me know.
Mark Hutton is in youre area. Used to be A&H performance possibly still is and there is nothing he does not know about these bikes.

AL

Thanks Al, much appreciated. Mark Hutton is just up the road so a great idea,,, if I have the funds for his time.

By the way you said "may help you mess, i mean fix.." can I ask who's been talking?
:mrgreen:
Barking Mad as always

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: Al » Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Tools; mmmmm, best avoided wherever possible i find.
By the way you said "may help you mess, i mean fix.." can I ask who's been talking?
:mrgreen:

No one's blabbed youre secrets are still safe :D
There are a few common culprits if youre carbs have been done. A frequently re-curing one is the CDI box which is a simple fix with a Dyna system, cap and taps and of course the scourge which are; duff coils.
AL
1981 J1

Chaz66
Regular Poster

#14 PostAuthor: Chaz66 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Al wrote: A frequently re-curing one is the CDI box which is a simple fix with a Dyna system, cap and taps and of course the scourge which are; duff coils.
AL

Yup, CDI and coils could well be an issue. One of the systems that's come to light when researching is Boyer Bransden. I've yet to do any searches on here to see what people have used and any pros and cons with any of the alternatives. As I'm unable to do anything in the next couple of weeks with her I'm a bit loathed to get distracted from the other things I have to do,,, says the man on here at half past midnight! I'm itching to get to know her and get her running sweetly :)
Barking Mad as always

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Al » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Chaz, do you see how this is going? No tools have been lifted, no-one has had their thumb mashed and no screwdrivers have entered soft skin and we've nearly fixed it already!
The jury is out on Dyna 'S' vs Boyer. There are few if any detractors with either approach and both have a very loyal following. I think the BB one is optical so you need to set it up in the dark. 'S' has or had a tendency to destroy its pickups but i have replaced mine and it was about 15 years+ old!
I think Dyna coils are DE-rigeur as is the coil relay mod from Weird George :D :D :D :D

AL
1981 J1

Return to “New Here?”