Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New Member Saying Hello

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

New Member Saying Hello

#1 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi I'm Rob and have just started a rebuild on a Z1000A1. It's a bit of a Bitsa -but hopefully by next spring it'l l be tidy and have all the correct bits.

Today was the first real day of strip down but unfortunately ended in disaster. I'm generally pretty meticulous when stripping down. As everything was going well, and I decided to remove the top end of the motor before calling it a day to see what it looked like internally. Everything looks surprisingly good - cams and bores really clean, so I lifted the barrels and removed the pistons, which are in amazingly good shape - then it happened. I still don't know how, but I knocked no.2 piston off the bench and as it hit the floor and snapped a chunk off off one of the projecting skirt sections! Needles to say I feel like right idiot. I have unmarked bores and four incredibly clean pistons but unfortunately one is now scrap.

I'm going to put a request in the wanted section in the hope that someone has a very good standard pistons and would be willing to sell me one.

Anyway, hello all and hopefully I wont have to report any more disasters.

Rob

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: New Member Saying Hello

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Rob, feel for you mate, we’v All been there!

Welcome anyhow
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: marmck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi Rob welcome to the club , hope you get a piston sorted ,dont" forget we like pics on here ! :D

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Rob
welcome to the club, a pitty you ruined one of the pistons of your Zed.
When replacing it, don't forget to put NEW piston rings on it and to hone the barrel where it goes in! Don't use the piston rings of the "new" piston.
A second possibility is to remove the old piston rings but you have to get them off your old ruined piston without breaking them. If you can do that, you can use the old piston rings from your ruined piston but don't forget to clean out the ring grooves of the "new" piston.
Be carefull, it's tricky! The piston rings can snap suddenly, use a special tool to remove them.
When putting them back on the "new" piston, mount them in the right direction, not upside down! Take good care. It's better to spend a few hours more now instead of when you have a seizure !
If you have a lot of experience in rebuilding engines, forget what I wrote.
Good luck
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Blackseven
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Blackseven » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks guys.

It looks like I've found a NOS standard piston thankfully.

Philippe - thanks, I was able to carefully remove the old rings and mark them for re-installation on the new replacement piston, so shouldn't need to hone the bore.

I will get some pictures sorted and post some updates on the forum.

Rob

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Rob

pleased to hear that you succeeded! Great news!
Cheers
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Return to “New Here?”