Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Newbie seeking advice

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

paulprior
new poster

Newbie seeking advice

#1 PostAuthor: paulprior » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi
I am very interested in buying a Z1, A or B, I have been looking around but find it very hard to understand the price variations, would it be correct to think that for a similar condition that the older ones go for more?, If so then if I saw a nice Z1B at say 13k how much extra should a Z1A or a Z1 be?
Is there any price variation between UK originals and imports?
What details should I be looking for and what parts are most likely to be non original?
My biking opportunities are very small, I want one of these as they were always my dream bike as a boy and maybe now I can finally afford one, the fact that as long as I buy wisely and keep it in good condition then I shouldn't loose any money on it is obviously a bonus
Thanks for any info puts
Paul

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Newbie seeking advice

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 am

Hi Paul
wellcome to the club!
I understand you want to buy a Z1,Z1A or Z1B. An original in very good or mint condition ...
You're beginning with a difficult task!
These bikes are 43 or 45 years old and to find one in original condition is a quest.
The Z1 was produced in '72 and '73 , 20,000 of them were built. How many of them survived? I don't think anyone can tell you.
The Z1A was built in the second half of '73 and the firts half of '74. About 25,000 were built.
The Z1B was built in the second half of '74 and the first half of '75. About the same number were built.
Most of these bikes had several owners and when they became of age most of them were neglected, stripped for parts or disappeared in a shed.
Only a few enthousiast cherised them... until the late ninetees.
More and more people wanted to own a bike which they adored when they were young. Nostalgia is the name of the game!
Finding an original, unrestored bike is allmost impossible.
Most of the bikes that are on the market now are restored ones, sometimes with original parts, mostly with reproduction parts. Nothing wrong with that if it's done in the right way!
Finding a Z1 is one thing, recognizing it has the correct parts is another!
My advice: buy some books and read them carefully. Search the internet for information, learn all there is to know about the Zeds!
The book written by David Marsden, from Z-power, is a good one. The title is: "Original kawasaki Z1, Z900 & KZ900" (KZ900 is the American name)
If you want to get into details about the Z1 I can advise you the book of John Brookes "Kawasaki Z1 & Z2"( Z1 is a 900 cc bike, Z2 is a 750 cc bike, mainly for the Japanese market)
There are some good sites on the internet to get information concerning the Zeds. You're on one now!
Another good one is "www.Kawasaki-z-classiker.de" a German site.
If you have questions about the Zeds, don't hesitate, ask them right here.
Take your time, learn all there is to know and when you find a bike ask someone with experience to come along with you to give you advice.
You have a task for the long winter evenings!!!
Don't panic, it might be a little confusing in the beginning but it stays very interesting and it's never boring.
Good luck!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:23 am

Your restricting you search to what is the most difficult models to find. Any reason? A4 and fewer A5 are also available and easier to find. Many, if not most you see for sale will have been imported from the US. Nothing wrong with them, as all Z's are imports in reality regardless of where they were originally bought.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:42 pm

As already said... plus keep reading this forum.

A dear departed and respected member of this club looked over mine when I bought it. I don't doubt someone would do the same for you if you ask nicely.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 pm

As a rule of thumb....

1:The original Z1 is the most valuable.

2: A & B are similar.

3: A4 is the cheapest.

HOWEVER the above can very much depend on condition and originality.

So with the above in mind the next rule of thumb on value is....

1: Fully restored bike using only original or NOS parts is the most valuable.

2: Mainly original bike restored with some pattern parts.

3: Restored bike using nearly all repop parts.

Genuine UK bikes will always be worth more than your A-typical US import (all things being equal) simply due to the rarity of our native models.

All depends on your budget, if you are prepared to get your hands dirty or you just want a 'turn key' bike, but whatever model you go for yet another general rule of thumb is to buy the best most original bike your budget will allow, it'll always cost less in the long run.

The link below will give you some idea on what to look for originality wise.

http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/tips/dat ... ecodes.htm

Good Luck
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Return to “New Here?”