Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New bloke with a quandary

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: New bloke with a quandary

#16 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am

Welcome Chesil

I also have a Z1000Ltd B1, which is quite tatty.
I bought it to use the frame and engine for a Sanctuary style z1 restomod. I'm will be using some of the other parts for a z1000a1 which needs restoring.

As far as I am aware the frame, yokes and swing arm are identical to the standard z900, so lots of stuff fits.
If you want to fit z1 bodywork you'll need to modify one of the side panel mounts I think.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Chesil
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: Chesil » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Nooooooooooo

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Chesil wrote:Nooooooooooo

PMC make Z1 bodywork to fit Z1000 range - talk to Dave Taylor at Saisei.com. Link below to a thread on this.

viewtopic.php?t=42370
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

guzziman56
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: guzziman56 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:58 am

Chesil wrote:Encouraging news Pigford cheers..... I’m down in Weymouth not far from Sherborne

I saw a very nice Z1000Ltd last summer in Dorchester. I kept going back to it to have another look. What's all that about?
1976 KZ1000A1, 1981 KZ1100 Shaft+Steib TR500 sidecar (ongoing), 1942 Motoguzzi 600U, 1948 Moto Guzzi GTV, 1952 Moto Guzzi Ercole (in bits), 1953 Nimbus, 1986 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario (in need of TLC), 1988 Moto Guzzi Mk V Le Mans

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 am

Hi Chesil
just been reading your decision about changing your Ltd into a Z1A look alike. OK fine.
As far as I know swapping your Ltd fuel tank with a Z1 type tank won't cause any problems. The side covers however are not the same. If you decide to put Z1 side covers you'll have to change the mounting points. The tail cover doesn't create a problem. Allthough the Z1 tail cover has a different shape (rounder) compared to a Ltd tail cover, the mounting points are the same.
A good solution would be to have a respray of the body parts in Z1A colours and a fuel tank swap. The Ltd tank is smaller than a Z1 fuel tank and is exposing more of the engine cam cover. The shape and distance between the mounting points are to my knowledge the same, so it'll fit.
You'll allso need a different seat, the Ltd seat is different compared to a Z1 seat, not only the cover but allso the shape of the foam.
The handle bars will need a swap allso and the clutch cable and maybe the throttle cables and the brake hose.
If you really want to go all the way don't forget to change the head light holders and even the front fork...
Don't let my explanation discourage you, I'm a rivett counter, so don't pay any attention to it.
Changing one type of bike to another type is not done overnight.Take a good look at what you have and compare it to what you want. Make a list of the parts you need and try to determine the price...don't be surprised about the number that comes up!
Good luck
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

hartyb
100Club
100Club

#21 PostAuthor: hartyb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I may be able to help you out with a good serviceable set of side panels and and tail unit that came off a Frankenstein Z1R I bought last year to make back in to a Z1R, there is also have a home made bracket so the panels fitted it was very home made but did the job required, quite a feet of bodgingness and could be copied to suit

regards Bruce
Z900A4, Z1000A1, Z1000ST E1,E2, Z1000Mk2 A3,Z1000H Z1R D1, z1000j3, Z1000P. Z900RS SE,
Z1300 A1,
GPZ1100 Unitrack, GPZ750E, GPZ 750Turbo, GPZ900r A1, A2, A6
ZZR1100 Purple and orange
KE175b, KE175F
along with some lesser makes :eek

Chesil
Regular Poster

#22 PostAuthor: Chesil » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Guys
Thanks for all of your input and advice.... Certainly is a lot to consider. Looking at the body kits from Saisei, boy they look good, but at a price eh?
Phillipe I totally get you too, the cost of the bits to make it look ‘right’ will certainly add up and at the end of the day, it probably won’t be worth the sum of it’s parts.
Trouble is there is nooooo way I could afford a Z1a in today’s market, but love the look so much.
I’ve invested in a set of club side panels to see just what the differences are, and what mods need to be done. The seat base is shot so I will need a replacement one whatever way I go.
Hopefully when it comes together it will be a passable homage, just if you see it parked up......be gentle
All the best

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 am

Chesil
Your cost will be dependant upon what sort of finish you want to your bike. If you want a complete 'like new' resto, then it's going to be lots. If you're happy with 'good enough to ride' then less so.
You could find a used z900/z100 tank instead of a new repro. Consider keeping the front end and finding a larger matching alloy rear wheel.
Repro seats are reasonably priced as are the front and rear mudgaurds.
Feel free to PM me your number if you want to have a chat as I have been through this a million times in my head with the Ltd I have still waiting to be done.
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 am

Ultim8pc wrote:Chesil
Your cost will be dependant upon what sort of finish you want to your bike. If you want a complete 'like new' resto, then it's going to be lots. If you're happy with 'good enough to ride' then less so.
You could find a used z900/z100 tank instead of a new repro. Consider keeping the front end and finding a larger matching alloy rear wheel.
Feel free to PM me your number if you want to have a chat as I have been through this a million times in my head with the Ltd I have still waiting to be done.

Which other tanks fit on a Ltd - is the question.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:11 am

Just a thought - I could pop down on my Z1B, and try my tank on your frame.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:41 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:Which other tanks fit on a Ltd - is the question.

As far as I am aware a z900 or z1000 tank will fit as it's the same frame design.

Chesil
Regular Poster

#27 PostAuthor: Chesil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:Just a thought - I could pop down on my Z1B, and try my tank on your frame.

Cheers for the offer Adrian, if you are this way it would be great to try it on for size over a cuppa.

Chesil
Regular Poster

#28 PostAuthor: Chesil » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Ultim8pc wrote:Chesil

Cheers fella, I’m definitely not gonna go bananas on this build, looking more at a ‘tidy rider’ over a show pony.... especially since it’s a mongrel. Some of the repro bits appear reasonably priced and I’ll probably give them a go.
It’s a bit of a toss up whether to go for emgo repro clocks & dash or get mine refurbished. Form or function for about the same price ???
Soooo many questions bud..... I’ll deffo be in touch

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Reproduction speedos can be a bit erratic. In my humble opinion I’d get the originals refurbished.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:Reproduction speedos can be a bit erratic. In my humble opinion I’d get the originals refurbished.

I'd agree with that.

Return to “New Here?”