Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Hello, I am new here

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Pizzaman
new poster

Hello, I am new here

#1 PostAuthor: Pizzaman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello all at Z1OC. I would just like to introduce myself. My first 'proper bike' was a Z1000ST way back in 1984 as a teenager. For some reason I sold the bike the same year and instantly regretted it. Over the years had many bikes, mainly Kwaks, but this year finally came full circle and bought another ST - only took 34 years! It's not immaculate but surprisingly original for a 1980 bike. Hope to slowly work through the back and get everything looking as new.
Will post some more pics once I get started. Great forum full of inspirational posts from some seriously dedicated enthusiasts.
Attachments
z1000st8.jpg
z1000st1a.jpg
Myfirst ST.jpg
Myfirst ST.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
Pizzaman :roll:

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Hello, I am new here

#2 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum,good choice of bike,looks very much like a St i owned a while back,if it is ,its one of the best bikes i have owned,good luck with her..Paul J
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: deka » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Welcome nice looking you
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

chrisNI
Site Admin

#4 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:21 am

:welc good looking ST

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Pizzaman
welcome to the forum! You ride my favourite bike! A Z1000ST . An E1, I suppose, from the productionyear 1979.
I own five of those. Four E1's and one E2. They are wonderfull to ride, have an enormous amount of torcque at low revs and they run like a train on rails.
It's funny as I bought a brand new ST in 1983 as my first Kawasaki. I made several trips to different countries with it and sold it in 1992. I heard nothing about her for 22 years and all of a sudden she was offered for sale in 2014.
I bought her immediately and now she stays in my collection for ever!
Let the good times roll !
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

snowyz9
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: snowyz9 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:56 am

Hi and Welcome , Nice Green St , i know so many of those that have been trashed for chops and Bobbers over the years , even recently , Because up to a few years ago , they could be bought cheap . Such a nice Bike

Pizzaman
new poster

#7 PostAuthor: Pizzaman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome guys! Paul J - the reg is PNV 910V - is that the one you once owned?
Phillipe - five ST's - thats great! Would like to own another at some point - this one to keep more or less standard and another to 'experiment with'. I do like the one you did with the Z1R cockpit fairing on.
Anyway I better concentrate on the one I have! My wife and son both have bikes, plus I have another old Kawasaki GPZ900r A1 (which I know doesn't count as Z1!) Garage is a bit of a squeeze to say the least!
First job on ST is to overhaul carbs - has a slight fluffing just when pulling away. Usually have to give it few more revs than necessary to make sure it pulls away. I think the bike had been stood for a while before I got it so old fuel gone off is my first thought.
Again thanks for welcome - regards P

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Love the paint on the new aquisition!

However, regarding your original ST picture; I owned a Z1B back in the early 80's, which resembles the colour scheme chosen for yours. Seeing it has given me courage to maybe post some pics of my old bike. The 80's were kinda bonkers.
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Not sure on your mileage Pizzaman, but in my experience the carb internals can be a little tired after 25k miles. Add ageing, hardened fuel, previous 'expert fettling' and you have a recipe for duff running.
Certainly, cleaning them up and ensuring they are setup as per factory is your first step. I've rebuilt quite a few sets of ST carbs, happy to give advice if needed.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Simonic
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: Simonic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 pm

I remember seeing that one for sale.
'83 ZX1100 '81 Z1000ST, '04 GSX1400, '19 Dodge Challenger Hemi

Pizzaman
new poster

#11 PostAuthor: Pizzaman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Ultim8pc wrote:Not sure on your mileage Pizzaman, but in my experience the carb internals can be a little tired after 25k miles. Add ageing, hardened fuel, previous 'expert fettling' and you have a recipe for duff running.
Certainly, cleaning them up and ensuring they are setup as per factory is your first step. I've rebuilt quite a few sets of ST carbs, happy to give advice if needed.

Hi Ultim8pc, sorry only just worked out how to reply to a post! thanks for the offer of advice, greatly appreciated! The mileage is showing 40,000 so almost certain to be wear. Will post pics when I get them in bits. Regards P

steve-g
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: steve-g » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi like the ST, have one myself,Where are you in Blackpool Am living in Layton at the moment.
Steve.

Return to “New Here?”