Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New member intro and advice

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

ogri211
Regular Poster

New member intro and advice

#1 PostAuthor: ogri211 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am

Hello let me introduce myself, I joined your forum last year I don't as yet own a Z but will be looking to get one to rebuild this year, I live in Glasgow , I have rebuilt several Japanese classics mostly 2 strokes, the ones that I have hung on to and presently own are a Suzuki GT750 A, a Kawasaki H1B 500 and a Hodna 400 four. I always completely strip the bikes, powder coat the frames, get new paintwork and rebuild the engines, I farm out painting powder coating and chroming, but do all the mechanical, electrical, wheelbuilding ect. I am looking at rebuilding a Z900, as a Z1 seems to be a bit expensive now. I always use my bikes, so I am not a rivet counter when it comes to being completely original and one of the questions I was wanting to ask is, the z900 Ltd models seem to come along a good bit cheaper, as I would be buying a new set of pipes and probably replacing the mudguards ect has anyone made one of these look like a z900A4, is the frame and running gear similar enough to fit a tank, seat and any other parts that are different, I know the wheels are different sizes, but I normally fit stainless rims and spokes, so are the hubs the same size. It would be good to hear from anyone who has done this conversion and also info on any problems they came across
Kawasaki Z1300
Kawasaki Z900A4
Buell S1 Lightning
Suzuki GT750A
Harley Sportster
Triumph Sprint

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: New member intro and advice

#2 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am

hi ogri, welcome aboard! the ltd frame is almost/identical to the z900 frame apart from the frame code..the tank, seat n mudguards are a direct swap..the wheels can be changed but the ltd has a rear disc and associated plumbing too instead of rear drum so not so straightforward : the swinging arms are slightly different as a result. its easier to swap the ltd 16" alloy to an 18" from a z1000a2. no doubt there are more differences but nothing major and someone will be along shortly to chip in.. all the help and advice needed is freely available here from a great knowledgeable, and friendly crew.. don't be shy, ask away!! mark in ek.. (79 un-ltd owner)
Last edited by 8 Valve Mark on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am

If you’re not fused about originality an LTD can be made to look pretty much exactly like a non LTD. The main differences the tank, seat and back wheel. They do tend to be cheaper as all the money’s in “originality” but the LTD styling doesn’t lend itself to that, although I have seen a quite few nice standard LTDs people don’t generally like them.

As Mark said the Z900 has a different rear brake but the Z1000 setup is the same

This one belonged to a member on here called Stevie, I don’t know where it is now he sold it on, apart from the back wheel you’d have been pushed to tell what it was when you saw it on the road.

xd3c_0064.jpg

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

i totally agree chris..they're great bikes in their own right, but can be tailored to your needs like anything else.. steve (above) still kept the 16 on the back n headlight brackets n the bike looks great.

ogri211
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: ogri211 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the advice Boys that opens up what I can look for as a starting bike I like to buy a complete but scabby bike then spend the Summer procuring parts and the winter rebuilding it it lets me spread the cost over a year as I dont have a spare 10 Grand to fork out at once but dont mind spending it over a year thats half the fun.
Kawasaki Z1300
Kawasaki Z900A4
Buell S1 Lightning
Suzuki GT750A
Harley Sportster
Triumph Sprint

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi ogri211
welcome to the club.
Change your Ltd as you like but keep the original parts! You never know what happens in the future...maybe the original Ltd will become very desirable. So just in case...
As mentioned before, ask questions, a lot of helpfull men on here are willing to answer them.
Let the good times roll !
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm

I hope you find something, but if you are like me and use them all year round, does it matter if its a ltd or not, as long as it's how you want it that's all that matters, for me my B2 ltd is to ride and enjoy i don't actually care if it does not look like it did when it came out of the factory or if it depreciates in value, the enjoyment of riding it is what i like.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Welcome.
Good luck with the quest.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#9 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 pm

kev edwards wrote:I hope you find something, but if you are like me and use them all year round, does it matter if its a ltd or not, as long as it's how you want it that's all that matters, for me my B2 ltd is to ride and enjoy i don't actually care if it does not look like it did when it came out of the factory or if it depreciates in value, the enjoyment of riding it is what i like.

I think your LTD looks a lot better than a factory one... :D

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 am

any pics kev?

Return to “New Here?”