Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New member with "Z1 project"

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: New member with "Z1 project"

#16 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:46 pm

CraigT wrote:Made a bit of progress on the Z1 so thought I would just post an update.......and seek a bit more advice from you experts on this forum..........thanks in advance. :lol:
I was about to send the paintwork off for a respray when I had second thoughts on the tank so just for good measure I had it blasted. OMG what a mess ...hundreds of pin holes in the top and the curved bit underneath which fits over the frame tube. Amazingly the bottom was virtually hole free and it might have patched with a good coat of epoxy liner and some filler but did I really want to risk a (at some future date) £20k bike under a leaky fuel tank. hmmmmmm.....NO. dk came to the rescue with a nice one (albeit a Z1a) so now just need to get the badge mounts modded.
i managed to find some rims with 73 date stamps and they are off to the chromers and sometime in the distant future ( 8 weeks! ) will be rebuilt with a 6 bolt front hub and the existing, correct, rear. Two lower fork stantions came from the US of A and have been restored and new seals fitted. Also from the USA I found some 28mm carbs (mega expensive but Hey ho !!) which will eventually be fitted but in the meantime i wanted to try the Z900 carbs which came with it. They looked very clean and all slides worked well but clearly had problems as petrol just poured out of the back. On inspection it was found all the floats were crushed. Anyone know why this might happen.?? Knowing they were likely scrap and to cut a long story short I took then apart , pushed out the dints and soldered them up. A dunking in water overnight proved they didn't leak and after a float height check the carbs were refitted.
I'd already given it an oil change and fitted a new battery, checked plugs and timing and rebuilt all the switchgear so we were good to go. ..or so I thought. Apart from a lot of backfiring and popping ...no joy. Eventually I discovered the points to coil leads had been swapped (not by me !!!) :x Then success, it fired more or less straight away and , considering the carbs hadn't been cleaned, ran pretty well. I did notice the two left had cylinders (1&2) were a bit smokey compared with 3 & 4. Is this common ??? I've only just fitted a centre stand so it's likely to have been on the side stand for the last umpteen years....could that be the reason ??
Apart from that I'm working on the clocks,have located a correct brake disk and calliper, have a new (replica) chain guard and rear shocks. Still need a chain oil pump and shaft if anyone has one :-)
I'm only looking initially to get it running and registered . A concours restoration may follow at some future date but for now I just want it running and riding. I never rode one back in the day so looking forward to it.
Apologies for the epistle.....will post some pics next time.
C.

1 and 2 a bit smokey, 3 and 4 not could indicate some seepage through the valve stem seals. That could indeed just be from sitting with oil in that side of the head more than the other side on the side stand and clear up, or you could find that in the fullness of time you need to change all the seals.

But, if all it does is burn a bit of oil, that's for another day.

Great project, the sort we all dream of uncovering.
Cheers,

Mark.

CraigT
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: CraigT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 pm

I have a pukka manual thanks to "8 valve Mark"........I know they are invaluable. The alternatives are rubbish...sorry Mr Haynes . !!
Following my last post here is a pic of the original tank and the sad state of the speedo ! The drive connection on the back had come loose and wrecked the internals. Despite this I am on with restoring it..with the correct face!
The third pic is for no reason....other than I think it is a great pic.
Enjoy!
C
pinholed tank.JPG

speedo.jpg
speedo.jpg (32.68 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
PHOTO-2019-02-27-22-06-52.jpg

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:41 pm

hi Craig, happy to hear the manual is well received :lol:, the speedo reminds me of triggers' broom... or it will once it's done. i recently sold one to a member for his project. the tank is a bit of bad luck but it sounds like you'll sort a replacement ok. i too love the last pic:it could have been taken in the late 70's. well done so far. m

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sat May 11, 2019 7:57 am

Hi Craig
Welcome
That's a very interesting project. Keep posting your progress
Paul
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

paul doran
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#20 PostAuthor: paul doran » Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 am

welcome Craig
good luck with restoration
way too many Zeds

CraigT
Regular Poster

#21 PostAuthor: CraigT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Happy New Year to one and all and apologies for the dreadfully late progress update.
The Z1 had actually came along quite well last year until I got distracted with other things .
Anyway, Father Christmas brought an early Christmas present (900RS) so though I had better have a pic. of the old and the new.
The Z1 is more or less "corrected " now. Front end has been replaced, wheels rebuilt, clocks rebuilt and electrics overhauled and of course paintwork. It was quite hard bolting spanking shinny parts to a grotty old frame but I wanted to keep it mobile. To finish it off fully it needs all the black parts doing, accessories chroming/plating and the engine either tidying up or rebuilding...I haven't decided which as it actually runs quite nicely.
IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi Craig

good to hear from you again. The Z1 looks a lot better already, keep on going the right way.
Congratulations with your new Z900RS. Enjoy them both and keep us posted.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Bill P » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Nice to see your progress looks good :)
I to am lucky enough to have both, the RS is a crackin bike enjoy them.

Return to “New Here?”