Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New member with "Z1 project"

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

CraigT
Regular Poster

New member with "Z1 project"

#1 PostAuthor: CraigT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Everyone.
my name is Craig Taylor and I'm based in South Somerset UK. I have a varied collection of bikes although I must admit my soft spot is for the Kwaka triples. (sorry !!) . An early Z1 was always on the "wish list " but prices just seem crazy....that was until the attached came along for moderately sensible money.
I'm certainly no expert on these machines but I do know it has got a zillion non original bits HOWEVER it is a 18*** frame number with matching engine..... so the basics are correct.
I'm not looking for a £25k show wining ride but I do want to put it back to something like original. The pipes and carbs are 1976 Z900 , both in great nick so I may well leave those for now. My line of attack initially will be the front end , rear wheel and a re-spray plus whatever the motor needs.
At this early stage could I maybe ask you experts on a couple of things.......
1) I'm sourcing wheel rims at the moment and my question is , is there a model specific wheel code for the Z1 models?
I know on the triples the 750 H2 has, for example, 303 and the 500 H1 305 (rear) so was wondering of the Z range also has a similar code?
2) The engine turns over, has good compression, clean oil, good spark and supposedly ran some years ago before it was imported. I'm tempted to just try and see if it runs but should I do this or are there any specific checks I should do before trying?

Thanks for your help.
C.
Attachments
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg (163.24 KiB) Viewed 7103 times
IMG_1176 _low.jpg
IMG_1176 _low.jpg (376.78 KiB) Viewed 7103 times

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: New member with "Z1 project"

#2 PostAuthor: marmck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:48 am

Welcome to the club .Yes like triples just about everything has a code on Z1 , have a read here - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... A5T3r57Aru

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Date codes are the same as The triples. 303 rims are what you’re after.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi Craig
welcome to the club!
You have a great project there!
If the frame number is in the 18000 you have a rather late Z1 (july '73) .
If you're looking for the correct rims you need Takasago 303 rims with the date code 3F or 3G (june or july 73).
As far as the starting of the engine is concerned: be carefull, use E98 without ethanol (I'm on the main land).
If you're able to take the oil pan off, do it because there will be a lot of sludge in it. If you find plastic parts in the oil pan, they're probably from the chain guide.
Just be carefull when you fire here up for the first time, it's an old lady! Give here the time to warm up before you twist the throttle!
If you need any advice on parts, don't hesitate to ask, there are a lot of fine people on the forum who really want to help you.
Good luck!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

CraigT
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: CraigT » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.......that has answered my initial questions...
I'll keep you posted how I get on...
C.

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: marmck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Early Z1 pipes where not stamped , & will probably be impossible to find & most likely be rotten or cost a fortune , I would stick with the ones you have as that is what is on most bikes or repros(with no date stamp )

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Would I be right in saying thats a 4 bolt front wheel , you may be better off sourcing a complete wheel in decent condition as you will need the hub and discs as well ........and I would probably put the correct forks in just to get the right period look , does it have the earlier clocks and yokes ? ........nice bike im a bit jealous , always fancied a 73 :)

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#8 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Craig, welcome.

I'm in Sherborne - may see you around lad?
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

CraigT
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: CraigT » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the friendly responses.........
Still sorting out my membership which should be done in a day or so .....then looking forward to accessing the whole site.
i've spent a day or so fiddling ( I really should be doing lots of other things..but you know how it is !!) so a quick update and then it may go quiet for a while...(skiing in France next week ! :D )
Firstly is this the right place on the forum to continue this thread or should I start another in the "projects " section?
So....
A pair of lower fork stations are winging their way over the pond . I've also found a set of early carbs also in the US of A and cannot decide whether to grab them whilst I can or spend on more important bits. The existing carbs are really nice and rumour has it the engine runs better on the 26mm ones....... Any thoughts ?

Yes the front wheel is wrong on all counts, as are the discs and callipers. I may have a couple of H1 wheels with about the correct date code...just need to check.....fingers crossed.

On Philippes advice I drained the sump and removed the oil strainer. No horrors to report , some metaly looking pasty stuff but certainly no bits. Only 2 and a bit litres came out though ......hmmmmm !!
With fresh oil and fingers crossed, a dab on the starter button produced....... absolutely nothing.
Reason being right hand switch gear completely gummed up with verdigris so I'm currently on with sorting this out.
It's going to need quite a few parts so I will post a wish list and hopefully get some advice on the best route from you guys i.e. NOS (dream on!) v. used v. repro. etc.

Hope you managed a ride out today...glorious weather with us.
C.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#10 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Craig if you want we can move it to projects and you can just continue on. Let us know.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:45 am

Welcome Craig,

Nice project you have there and looks like a good basis to start from.

As has been said, lots of great help and friendly peeps on here, so just shout out if you need help or advice.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Welcome from sunny Bournemouth. Good luck with the project
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

CraigT
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: CraigT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:54 pm

Made a bit of progress on the Z1 so thought I would just post an update.......and seek a bit more advice from you experts on this forum..........thanks in advance. :lol:
I was about to send the paintwork off for a respray when I had second thoughts on the tank so just for good measure I had it blasted. OMG what a mess ...hundreds of pin holes in the top and the curved bit underneath which fits over the frame tube. Amazingly the bottom was virtually hole free and it might have patched with a good coat of epoxy liner and some filler but did I really want to risk a (at some future date) £20k bike under a leaky fuel tank. hmmmmmm.....NO. dk came to the rescue with a nice one (albeit a Z1a) so now just need to get the badge mounts modded.
i managed to find some rims with 73 date stamps and they are off to the chromers and sometime in the distant future ( 8 weeks! ) will be rebuilt with a 6 bolt front hub and the existing, correct, rear. Two lower fork stantions came from the US of A and have been restored and new seals fitted. Also from the USA I found some 28mm carbs (mega expensive but Hey ho !!) which will eventually be fitted but in the meantime i wanted to try the Z900 carbs which came with it. They looked very clean and all slides worked well but clearly had problems as petrol just poured out of the back. On inspection it was found all the floats were crushed. Anyone know why this might happen.?? Knowing they were likely scrap and to cut a long story short I took then apart , pushed out the dints and soldered them up. A dunking in water overnight proved they didn't leak and after a float height check the carbs were refitted.
I'd already given it an oil change and fitted a new battery, checked plugs and timing and rebuilt all the switchgear so we were good to go. ..or so I thought. Apart from a lot of backfiring and popping ...no joy. Eventually I discovered the points to coil leads had been swapped (not by me !!!) :x Then success, it fired more or less straight away and , considering the carbs hadn't been cleaned, ran pretty well. I did notice the two left had cylinders (1&2) were a bit smokey compared with 3 & 4. Is this common ??? I've only just fitted a centre stand so it's likely to have been on the side stand for the last umpteen years....could that be the reason ??
Apart from that I'm working on the clocks,have located a correct brake disk and calliper, have a new (replica) chain guard and rear shocks. Still need a chain oil pump and shaft if anyone has one :-)
I'm only looking initially to get it running and registered . A concours restoration may follow at some future date but for now I just want it running and riding. I never rode one back in the day so looking forward to it.
Apologies for the epistle.....will post some pics next time.
C.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Welcome... Enjoy the project and keep the updates coming

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:08 am

Hi CraigT
good to hear you managed to get the engine running!
The Z1 runs very fine on the 28 mm carbs but sometimes they're a pain in the a.. to synchronise.
Do you have a shop manual? The correct method is described in there as wel as all the other things to know about your Z1.
Try to find one, it's worth the money!
When restoring your Z1, take your time, don't hurry. If you can buy NOS parts you need, do it. If not, buy good replica parts, don't go for the cheap ones.
If you have any questions; ask them. There are a lot of members who want to help you.
Good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Return to “New Here?”