Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

KZ1000G project

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Rogsz1g
new poster

KZ1000G project

#1 PostAuthor: Rogsz1g » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum & would appreciate some advise please
I have purchased a KZ1000G - circa 1980 USA Import as a project.
I have already stripped down the engine & most of the frame & basically have a blank canvas to work with.
The question I have for now is on what modern day forks would be best & easiest to fit
I'll try to dig some pictures out to post

Cheers
Rog

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: KZ1000G project

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:54 am

Hi Rog
Welcome to the club!
Dig out those pictures and post them, we all love to see the pride and joy of other members.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#3 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:59 am

No matter what MODERN forks you fit, there will be a need to do some alteration to the yoke (triple tree) stem.

Bandit or ZRX1100 front ends are popular and look good. Make sure your choice doesn't foul the tank!!!

USD are matter of taste but most are too short (apart from late 1980's GSXR1100).

Get a thread going in "Projects" section! All the best :up
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

chrisu

#4 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:33 pm

with a Z1000H or Z1000G first thing I'd do is make sure it runs properly if its on the original FI.

see here.
http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26268

Forks - are you looking for RMU or USD forks. i've got GSXR1100 USD forks on my Z1R but that limits steering lock.

Good luck !

MartinRJ
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: MartinRJ » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Sound advice Chris - my H has been challenging to say the least over the past 35 years! Not entirely sure why, but it's tended to run progressively richer over the years, particularly on start-up. I now have a 3.3kOhm resistor wired across the engine temperature sensor to lean things off on cold start; that appears to work well and prevent it flooding and putting a plug out. Has minimal effect when it's warmed up.

Anyone else had this issue?

M
1981 Z1000H
2004 G**R 1000
2023 Ninja 1000SX

chrisu

#6 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:29 pm

MartinRJ wrote:Sound advice Chris - my H has been challenging to say the least over the past 35 years! Not entirely sure why, but it's tended to run progressively richer over the years, particularly on start-up. I now have a 3.3kOhm resistor wired across the engine temperature sensor to lean things off on cold start; that appears to work well and prevent it flooding and putting a plug out. Has minimal effect when it's warmed up.

Anyone else had this issue?

M

I assume you've tested the cold engine sensor to make sure its working correctly. Getting full voltage to the coils ?

MartinRJ
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: MartinRJ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Yes - I have a couple of sensors and I’ve checked them over a range of temperatures - all ok. All voltages ok too. The bike has just got richer as time has gone on - sooted plugs and so on, and prone to flooding on cold start. Fitted a grade hotter plugs and, after a few trials, the resistor across the temp sensor. Runs sweet little now.

Only other thought - does the clock spring in the air flow meter relax over 40 years, and send a signal to the ECU which is higher than it should be, resulting in too much fuel? I’ve set up a flow bench to investigate!
1981 Z1000H
2004 G**R 1000
2023 Ninja 1000SX

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:13 pm

:ont
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “New Here?”