Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Hello from a new ( but old ) member

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Baz66
new poster

Hello from a new ( but old ) member

#1 PostAuthor: Baz66 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello all,
Just become a paid up member and wanted the say hi.
Sometime ago I acquired a 1981 Z1000J that didn’t run but came as a project. I had one when I was 19 and got all sentimental (54 now, did someone say midlife crisis)
So I have much to do and lots to learn, I have some parts that I’ve read will be useful but I’m happy to be corrected if I’m misguided.
ZRX1100 swingarm and ZX9R wheels and front end, although the forks are worryingly short compared to stock.
Looking forward to having a look round and finding out how to turn this into the bike I have pictured in my head - superficially it will pass for a 1980,s Zed but handle somewhat better than my last one 35 years ago.

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a new ( but old ) member

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Welcome along. ttiw :welc

Zx9R C and E forks are some of the longer “ modern” forks, but the J forks are even longer than the Zed forks, and you’re dropping an inch with the 17” wheels too. I have 17” wheels in my 1000R (similar height as J) with standard forks and it’s sits okay and handles really well. The Zx9 forks look about 3 inches shorter, I have a set in my Z1000 but it’s got stepped yokes and an 18” front wheel. Zrx arm will fit fairly easily, Zx9 rear wheel might be a bit wide but it’s possible to get them in. But might be better sticking with standard forks... anything is possible though.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 am

Hi Baz66
welcome to the club!
Don't consider yourself old if you're only 54! I think most of the members are older then 45 . I'm 22 and I have 35 years of experience in being that age...don't call it "midlife crisis", it's nostalgia! :D
Show us some pictures of your pride and joy, we all love to see the old bikes, no matter what condition they're in.

If you have experience in changing the old Zeds, put newer forks and swing arms in it to make the handling better.
If you want a bike that handles really good, buy a new one. They're equipped with all sorts of electronic devices (traction control, ABS brakes, etc) and the driver doesn't need the skills to ride a bike.
An old Zed doesn't handle like a new one but that's the price you have to pay if you want to ride an old Zed .
That's only my personal opinion but I'm an anorak or rivet counter or whatever name you want to give the people who want to keep the old Zeds the way they are.
But then again, it's your bike, you can change it the way you want .
Good luck with the project! There are many people on the forum who can help you to realise your dream. Go for it!
Let the good times roll !
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Baz66
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: Baz66 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:52 am

Apologies for the picture quality. Taken in the garage when I first got her home.
39142B9B-1366-4C68-BB4B-58104CDBF5B5.jpeg
323AF1F5-7840-4681-BC27-EA5F19EECC9A.jpeg

The last one is the one I had when I was younger. Parked rather artistically next to a skip,
53C95326-6432-4F75-B09B-DA64A8C865D9.jpeg

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 am

Great pics Baz,

I think the J is starting to be recognised for the good bike it is, I remember my best mate getting a brand new J3 in 84??, it was lime green, I wasn't taken with the styling then, but definitely grown on me over years.

You have come to right place, huge knowledge base on this site, I have had so much help over the years from fellow members.

Good luck with the project.

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Baz66
new poster

#6 PostAuthor: Baz66 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have already received some useful advice, for which I am very thankful.
Hopefully there will be some area where I can help others out too.

Baz

Return to “New Here?”