Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New owner / member

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Jfc
Regular Poster

New owner / member

#1 PostAuthor: Jfc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi all

Proud owner of a z900a4 recently acquired. Needs a bit of tlc and I spending like crazy already - engines runs but misfires, has electronic ignition, no smoke but will do a compression test, the engine also sounds very rattly and convincing myself to strip and rebuild.

Had a 76A4 from 79 to 83, loved it, that had a rebuild (I did it) after the cam chain skipped due to worn guides and idler wheel - hence the nerves - but always promised myself another one.

Looking for any and all advice, want to paint it Diamond Brown like my old one, and restore to clean and tidy, not concours, and something that I can use as and when I like - pointers for paint, engine/carb service would be great.

It sits between a 68 plate 1200Gsa and a 2001 xjr 1300 which I’ve had for 20 years (that’s got z9 bars and a 4 into 4 exhaust.....).

Having played with it today, a big difference in the intervening 42 years is that I can’t see anything without glasses and I don’t seem to be able to move up and down without yelping ....

Thanks in advance for the help

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: New owner / member

#2 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 pm

Hello, Good Evening and Welcome.

Some pics would be nice.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Hello and welcome .Pictures always appreciated :)
If you need a painter Sean Dewis in Ilkeston is my recomendation

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:53 pm

Before embarking on strip / rebuild I would just concentrate on getting it running right - if possible
Its amazing how 'rattly' they can sound if for example the carbs are out of balance.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:19 am

Hi Jfc

welcome to the club! And congratulations with your "new" pride and joy!

A ratling engine points mostly to worn camchain parts: a stretched chain, worn sprockets, broken front chain guide,...
My advice: if you open up the engine change all the camchain parts, change the gaskets and the oil seals and if necessary the piston rings. When putting the engine back together hone the cylinders and check the springs of the clutch basket. If those are broken or worn change the clutch basket and its needle bearing. When you did all this you'll have a smooth running engine.
Have the carbs ultra sonic cleaned and change the parts inside, there are good suppliers of carb parts (Keyster)!
Don't forget to change the filters (oil, air) and make sure the bike rides and brakes as she should. Mind old tyres, they get hard when aging.

It takes a lot of time and money to get a good running and riding Z 900!
Good luck with the bike and if you want advice, you're here (Z1OC forum) at the correct place!
Oh before I forget: put some pictures of your pride and joy on the forum, we all love to see them.
Greetings from Belgium.
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:38 am

Welcome. Please post up some photos.
And also, what Phillipe said!
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Jfc
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Jfc » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the info and advice, apologies for missing the pics - bike is in bits now... first mistake made, I put a cost forecast together

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: marmck » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Welcome to the club

chrisNI
Site Admin

#9 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:17 pm

:welc

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: steve452 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Jfc wrote:Thanks for the info and advice, apologies for missing the pics - bike is in bits now... first mistake made, I put a cost forecast together

Double it (time and money), add £1000 times the number of letters in the month you started the build and deduct the number of hens teeth you find lying around the garage. That's the deposit :D

Good luck and nice to see yet another Zed about to get back on the road.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Return to “New Here?”