Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Project prices.

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Jokersjob
new poster

Project prices.

#1 PostAuthor: Jokersjob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:00 am

Morning all,
I'm new to the club and have posted a wanted add for a z1000/z1000ltd project. Now this may sound like a stupid question but what is the going rate for a mostly complete project.
I do have a figure in mind but don't want to offend anyone if asked to make an offer.

Thanks very much. Joe.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Project prices.

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 am

Hi Joe

I have no idea how much people ask for a Z1000 or for a Z1000Ltd project in the UK. I live in Belgium and I've bought most of my project bikes in Belgium or in the neighbouring countries (Holland and France). What I do know is that a project bike will cost several thousands of Euros to get it up and running to have a safe bike.
The price of a project depends on the condition of the bike. It can be wreck or a near runner. If the bike was stored in a garage or in a barn for several years and it's covered with cobwebs and dust it can look frightening. If a bike was covered with blankets or a tarp it can look very nice but the costs of getting it safely on the road are almost the same. They need new tyres, new oil and filter, the brakes are mostly seized and need to be refurbished and the carburettors need to be cleaned inside and out.
When I buy a project bike I prefer a wreck. Then I'm certain it needs a lot of work, parts and money to get it on the road. A good looking bike might turn out to become a money pit..."first impressions often lie" ( as Fisher-Z used to sing in the seventies), you never know.
It also depends of your skills, how much work can you do on the bike yourself? Do you have tools or do you have to buy them?
Do you know where to get replacement parts, original or replica?
My advice if you go out to have a look at a project: don't go alone, take someone with you who has experience in doing projects and who you trust, let him have a look and listen to his advice.
Mind that I don't want to take your dream away, I'm only trying to give good advice.
Have a look at the "projects" chapter and see what needs to be done, then you can decide what you want, a basket case or a good runnig bike. The price of your project will depend of the condition of the bike. It's yours to decide.
Good luck!!!
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Jokersjob
new poster

#3 PostAuthor: Jokersjob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:43 am

Thanks for the reply Philippe,
I have restored several different bikes in the past. These have included British, Italian as well as more modern kawasaki's.
My problem is the z900's and z1000's range some much in value when for sale as a running bike is hard to price something that has been sitting in a garden for 10 years.
As for the restoration itself I know full well how much it can cost.
Thanks again. Joe.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 am

Jokersjob wrote:
My problem is the z900's and z1000's range some much in value when for sale as a running bike is hard to price something that has been sitting in a garden for 10 years.

Far to many model, condition, originality (the list goes on) variables to give exact prices.

A Basket case UK 73 Z1 will be worth a lot more than a mint US import 1000 LTD that just needs a polish.

A full resto on a Z1/1000 can run north of £6-7K dependant on engine work, so add your purchase price to this, then check ebay prices for restored bikes and that's about your project price...... give or take a few £K. :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Return to “New Here?”