Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Info for a newbie

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Info for a newbie

#16 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi awmac45

thanks for the picture!
She has the looks of a Z1A but I think it's a Z900A4.
Only the frame number and the engine number can make things clear.
Perhaps Ian can tell you more about her story.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Numbers posted on FB Philippe confirming a4
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#18 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Andy, the bike was bought by a friend of mine around 1979. Colin had been looking for Z1A for a while but couldnt find anything for sale. So when he spotted an advert in MCN for a Z900A4 he decided to go for it. He was in Falkirk and bike in south of England. He got the train down , seller met him at the station. Deal was done and he rode it home. He soon started to order the parts needed to convert it to a Z1A look alike, bodywork, forks etc all from the dealer. He fitted a set of Lester alloy wheels, an Italian made box section swing arm that used the original chain adjusters. I see both are still on the bike. The bike was used all the time up until he traded it in at the local Kawasaki dealer CJ Wilson in Uphall. He got £1500 for it against a new ZX9, think that was around 1994. One of the mechanics in the shop showed interest in the bike as a keeper so Colin dropped off all his spares inc the original bodywork etc. Anyway the bike was sold on very soon afterwards.... It resurfaced at 2010? Z1oc Scottish rally with the son of the guy that had bought it from the mechanic. Apparently it had sat in a garage most of its time with them. Never see the bike after than till i seen photo today. On a note Colin did get another Zed in 2005, a nice original 73 Z1 which he used alot. Unfortunatly Colin passed away Dec 2019
Got the Rex, just the Kat to get now...

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#19 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:10 pm

A few photos of the bike as an A4 then changed to a Z1A look alike, then last photo around 2010 at Z1oc Scottish rally

So it was nothing under hand about the bike just someone wanted a certain model, couldnt get it, so built it to look. Colin loved his Zed and was known by quite a few in the club

awmac45
new poster

#20 PostAuthor: awmac45 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 am

I now know the history of my bike it is an a4 to look like a Z1a. I have lots of photos. It was one man's dream and I feel I may follow that and do it up as he intended.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#21 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 pm

What’s who in the pics Iain? I think I can spot Colin but it’s tricky with hair(!) and one of the other guys looks quite like him... :shock:

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Nice to have a history for the bike. Nice looking Zed, well done.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Iain marshall
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#23 PostAuthor: Iain marshall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi Chris, in the photo with the three of them, L to R, is Colin , Garry Paterson ( a Z1A owner then and still has it. then with the beard is Colins brother Iain Marshall, the other one , not me :D

Garrys Z1A

chrisNI
Site Admin

#24 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 am

Cheers Iain, thought it had to be Colin’s brother :D

Return to “New Here?”