Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Disappointing?

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

CLASSICAL
new poster

Disappointing?

#1 PostAuthor: CLASSICAL » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 pm

Hello from West Yorkshire. :)
Had a MK11 back in 1980 FUB198T Don't see many around these days.
Familiar story, sold the bike when the kids came, then when they left (2004) I was "born again" so I bought a Suzuki and have been riding modern bikes since then.
What's it it like going back to an old Zed after the modern stuff? I know that it will be a different riding experience but just a bit worried that riding one now, might tarnish my memories of how good it was back then.
Cheers now
AL

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Disappointing?

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:43 pm

I think your confusing "tarnishing" with "polishing".
Do it and you'll wonder how you coud have wasted so much time.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

chrisw1
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: chrisw1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 pm

Personally I prefer the way an old zed rides over a modern bike but not everyone agrees
Today i left my new vstrom in the garage and rode the Z1b ...... we rode on wet roads and gravel with no problems at all
For big tours the modern bike has some refinements which make life easier but i still plan to take the old bike to Ireland next year

ninjajen900
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: ninjajen900 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 pm

It's like a breath of fresh air, A smile like a Cheshire cat. Have modern and old ,I prefer old Zed's. Try one you won't be disappointed

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:43 am

Hi CLASSICAL

welcome to the club!
Don't worry about riding an old Zed, it will be like you're young again!
Just make sure that ,when you buy one, it's a good one.
Ask a friend, who's knowledgable about old Kawasakis, to come with you when you go out to see a bike.
And when you find one, show us some pictures on here please.
Greetings from Belgium.
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 am

Worth remembering that the Bike won't have changed, only your expectations of it. A slight mind reset and adjustment to your riding style and it will be just as enjoyable as it was back then.
Last edited by Garry.L on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:16 am

I have a modern Ducati and a Z900A4.
You just have to remember that the old bike won't accelerate as fast and you have to brake earlier.
But the pleasure you get from riding this old bikes is immense. DO IT!
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:33 pm

It's not a nostalgia thing for me as I never had newish big Zeds when I was a lad, just ratty smaller ones, I just like the things.

Compared to a more modern bike the zeds still have plenty of real world power on the road and are easy to ride. You do have to recalibrate yrself to the brakes which could catch you out. They are adequate if in good condition (I have a z1000a on twin discs and a gpz1100b), though I have to apply quite a lot of force to the z1000 front brake that I wouldn't dare to on a modern bike to make it stop sharpish.

They are still nice things to ride, characterful engines without being a pain in the arse, handling is good enough if the bikes got decent tyres on it. You probably won't try and go as fast as you did when you were a young idiot so you'll find its safe and predictable, if a bit imprecise. Handle nicely in tight traffic and around roundabouts and the like.

You feel like you're on something a bit special which you can't buy new, and you'll have to put up with strangers coming up to you and talking about yr bike.

Not bad really all told.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

CLASSICAL
new poster

#9 PostAuthor: CLASSICAL » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks all for the positivity, I wasn't expecting anything else really.
Just think that I needed a bit of reassurance and a kick up the backside. :lol:
Young people may not be saying it as much these days but finally it's logged into my brain YOLO
Anyway, watch this space!

AL

Return to “New Here?”