Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Hello from Preston (yorks)

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Gray17
100Club
100Club

Hello from Preston (yorks)

#1 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:02 pm

Morning Guys and Girls as well if any, appologies for not introducing myself first rather then diving straight in on forum.
My names Graham known as Gray17 on forum. Lets just say im an ageing biker of 70s vintage nuf said, had bikes all my life from being 16
I have recently bought the one bike thats eluded me and always wanted a Z900 A4, back in the 70s i had Suzukis GT 250 and 3 750, 2 GTs and a GS, never had a Z900 as at the time my pittance of apprentice pay wouldnt stretch that far.
From recollection a brand new Suzuki GT750 in 1975 cost £998.00, a Kawasaki Z1 cost £1300 or there abouts, a lot different these days.
Anyway an opportunity presented itself for a US import Z900 A4 that was supposed to have been part restored, was running, but needed registering with DVLA and finishing off.
Sounded ideal so i bought it.
Upon getting it home i decided whilst a lot of new parts had been fitted the standard of restoration so far wasnt to my standard and left a lot to be desired, so have set about stripping the bike and starting afresh.
Work done so far.
Frame and all black metal parts, blasted and sent to powder coaters for coat of semi gloss paint. All this completed
Engine full strip down, cases sent for vapour blasting, on with rebuilding that now.
Lots more to do so will keep you all informed and sure will be seeking help with the rebuild.
So thats me, Hello to you all.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Hello from Preston (yorks)

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm

Hello Gray17

welcome to the club !
It's great that you're restoring the Z900A4 but show us some pictures of your pride and beauty please.
Good luck with the restoration.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:50 pm

:welc but as Philippe says…

ttiw

:D :D

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:56 pm

Screenshot_20230106-192620_Gallery.jpg
Sorry guys, here is photo of bike as was when i bought it, bike currently in bits at mo undergoing full restoration by me.
Yes i know loads to do to get it back to original!

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: marmck » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi & welcome to the club good luck with the resto

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Bill P » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Welcome aboard , nice bike enjoy your resto :up

Peteypops23
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Peteypops23 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:17 pm

Looks tidy Graham, enjoy!
Pete

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 pm

Welcome. Looking forward to see your progress!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:42 pm

Welcome to the club. I'm over the other side of the border near Skipton. A good friend and fellow Zed owner is also over Blackburn way.
I've had quite a few Z900s and finishing off a re-restoration of a Z900 for my best mate.
Be good to see how you get on with yours. Feel free to give me a shout if you get stuck or need help with yours.
20230210_150125.jpg
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:44 pm

just realised you mean Preston over Hull way...
I used to live in Withernsea.
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:11 am

Hi yes thats right small village between Hull and Beverley, so if anyone lives nearby give us a shout!
I lived in With for a while too on the Promenade, went to With school for 6 months or so, we may have bumped into each other, depending on age, small world!
The Z900 photo looks great, hope mine turns out half as good, bit lots to do and parts to change back to original. The indicators on mine are new but not correct type, they have thecorrect chrome body but wrong Hodna type covers, im hoping i can just replace the amber lenses rather then full lot. The list just goes on and ooooon.
Last edited by Gray17 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:26 am

Gray17 wrote:Hi yes thats right small village between Hull and Beverley, so if anyone lives nearby give us a shout!
I lived in With for a while too on the Promenade, went to With school for 6 months or so, we may have bumped into each other, depending on age, small world!
The Z900 photo looks great, hope mine turns out half as good, bit lots to do and parts to change back to original. The indicators on mine are new but not correct type, they have thecorrect chrome body but wrong Hodna type covers, im hoping i can just replace the amber lenses rather then full lot. The list just goes on and ooooon.

I'm out that way pretty regularly as my sistyer lives in Beverly and my mother in With. Maybe I can call one time when I'm on my way back.

You can purchase the OEM Stanley lenses. The Z900 I'm finishing is all repro stuff, but has OEM lenses.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:37 am

Hi yes you'd be very welcome, plenty of Tea or Coffee on tap or even a beer if weathers nice! As I'm retired and busy with resto im in most of the time so please do.
Zpower do a set of 4 repro kawasaki lenses the chrome bases on mine look very similar to the Kawasaki ones so hoping you can just replace the lens with kawasaki type, course not sure if diameter the same or screw holes, also depth is much less as Kawasaki ones are flatter, so may have to move bulb holder position slightly, nothings
ever simple is it? Could just buy 4 new repro ones but thats a shame apart from cost the ones on bike are new, so a waste.

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: deka » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:04 pm

WELCOME very friendly bunch here
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

Return to “New Here?”