Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000J Build

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

Z1000J Build

#1 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi all,

So this is my first Zed project for a while, long overdue to be honest!

We just moved to France so after the initial bs that you have to get set up when you move I managed to start trying to find a new project..I was looking for an early Zed but couldn't find anything so decided to go for this Z1000J

It looks fairly good in the Photos (Sorry not the best of photos) but needs some work.. The Last 3 bikes I have built have been Restos, so Im afriad as original as this one is it has to be a special....

Bike was running and road legal, lots of oil leaks, no brakes, the usual sort of thing..
Last edited by LeeJackson on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: Coose » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Yay, another J! :D

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

phots added..

#3 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Damn that took a while.. :)

OK Here goes, bike as collected;

Sorry about the Hazy Photos and crap French cars in the background :)

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

Tear Down

#4 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:16 pm

So I decided to do this bike the opposite way from my normal and do the engine first..

When stripping the engine I discovered it had just been re-bored and has a new Wiseco Kit in it.. Boost if they had not broken half the fins off the barrels when rebuilding, so guess they are junk.. Ive not measured the pistons but dont think they are much oversize..

I have not decided exactlly what to do with it yet.. But for sure the Crank will need to be done, so it got shipped off to Debbens in UK a few weeks ago for re-build and welding. I'm thinking to go for GPZ Barrels and put a 1200 kit in it, what do you guys think? I won't do huge miles on the bike, but want something that will run decently and not cause me heaps of grief trying to dial it in all the time.. Of course some head work will need to be done.

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:22 pm

So plan was to re-build engine and leave the chassis alone.. But i got bored and my 6 year old son was deseperate to take more things to bits with me :) Good training I'd say.. So bike got stripped

I found a really good shop doing blasting and powder at the otehr side of paris called Abdeco, so took my frame and crankcases to them..

Frame came back on Saturday, great job done..

Plan was to have the crankcases done in the High Temp Ceramic coating, I was pretty impressed with the samples they had in teh shop.. However my slighty bad eyesight missed a horrible bodge on the crankcases which was unvailed during blasting...

Not so good... Now the thing is, can I get these fixed by anyone? Or Should I just get another set and start again? What do you think?

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Coose » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:06 pm

You should be able to weld a new section in without a problem, particularly as it's not close to a face.

Are you rebuilding the chassis back to stock, or are you going to do something interesting? :twisted:

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:10 pm

No definatly something interesting.. The bike is really quiet complete and correct so its almost a shame, but my last 3 rebuilds were all full stock restorations, so this time it has to be different...

Im trying to figure our running gear just now, looks like ZRX gear is a fairly straight forward fit, so trying to keep my eye out for a front and rear end to get it rolling for a start.. I have some bigger plans longer term, but lets ssee how the budget goes.. Like I say this time Im doing the engine first and play with the shassis when I have some spare cash and time

So anyone know who can do this repair? I'm still trying to figure out who can do what in this country, so everything is taking too long :)

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Coose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:07 am

Sadly I can't help, but being where you are there has to be someone capable, particularly knowing the French history of Zeds.... :wink:

If you're thinking of staying period with your chassis updates have a look at my thread. My old J goes around corners much better than it should! :D

http://z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35470&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:00 pm

So finally I have an update on the J.. I git the ZRX1200 Swingarm powder coated, but they had to rework it about 6 times and it took over two months to get it back. Unfortunately it still doesn't look quiet perfect, a few imperfections, but it will have to do..

Anyhow I promised to post some photos of my approach to fitting it to the J.. Simple as possible being the name of the game as I have no facilities to do any machining here and my French is crap so I wouldn't know where to start finding one..

Anyway first I fitted new needle bearings both sides.

I wanted to also fit the correct 16mm ID of Roller bearing rather than try to sleeve it. unfortunately the closest bearing you can get is a 6302/16 which is 13mm wide, vs the original 12mm one.

There was plenty of meat on either side of the rollers so I lapped off 0.5mm from each side using a grinding stone and take it to 12mm width

So next issue is the 16mm spindle with the 20mm Sleeve. For that I bought some Oilite bushes..

Then they were slid inside the new inner race until it was full..

You can see it leaves a very small gap in the length, but really no big deal when the whole thing is a very snug fit so I went with that

Next I had to remove a couple of mm from the standard spacer that comes with the ZRX arm and sleeved that with a short bushing just for the sake of it. Really I don't matter as it just sits in a seal and stops sideways movement.

I refitted the standard Oil seal on the right hand side of the arm.

The Left side of the arm does not have an oil seal in it, on the ZRX the principle is slightly different, but leaves it a little exposed unfortunately on the Zed to dirt. I managed to get an O-Ring the right size to fit in just to guard slightly from dirt and dust...

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:11 pm

:wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Arm fits like a glove

Now there may need to be a small adjustment to get it bang on central, I think its a mm too far to the chain side, if the arm is exactly symmetrical, but will figure that out later :)

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:58 am

Good work there Lee, along with some top tips. :up

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

RUDDY
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: RUDDY » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 am

Great post Lee, thanks for the info.

:wink:
85 Z1100R-1

ollie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: ollie » Sun May 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Looks like this will be a great upgrade build Lee :up :clap
zedsrus:"i don't know man ,i just got here myself !!"

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Thu May 05, 2016 4:07 pm

some progress today.. Got a rolling Chassis again..

Sorry about the crap photo, looks like lens was a bit dirty..

Guys, so now I need to buy some shocks, the ride height is concerning me, and I never measured anything up before dismantling, which was in hindsight a bit stupid :) Anyway I have 260mm to the bottom of the frame with no weight.. Any ideas where we would be normally for a thou unladen?
Last edited by LeeJackson on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Projects”