Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1100r my tale of woe

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Z1100r my tale of woe

#1 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Well as some of you may know back in Jan i bought a Z1100r from the bay on a 95% complete restoration. The rolling chassis had been done and done very well, the engine had been rebuilt and the bike just needed chson and sprockets and the carbs/ignition sorting out.
well i duly bought it and got the beast transported down to mine.

So it stood for 3 months in my mates bike shop as i had no time to commit to it, untill last week...
The conversation went like this ' Paul theres nothing wrong with the ignition and the carbs are fine' so i told my mechanic mate just find the misfire maybe its cam timing slightly out.

well it got checked out and disaster struck there was blasting medium in the cam box, the oi lwas drained and sump came off and it just got worse. so the engine got stripped and this is a list of damage to an engine that has only been bench run in the last 3 years by the previous owner.

cam lobes
cam shells
valve guides split
bores and pistons
crank bearings
output shaft bearings
2nd gear
clutch bushing
and this is just what has been found before we take it down to nuts and bolts.

[/img]Image
Last edited by swampy on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harri183
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#2 PostAuthor: harri183 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 pm

That's a real shame, do you think he knew.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: swampy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Of course he knew that, not only he had lost interest but thrown the engine together after going to the trouble of helicoiling all the threads in the head to a high standard. what i need now is some leads on the more unobtainable parts! As i have loved these bikes since i was 18 yrs old. Now ive got one the engine room is buggered just like me..😁 . My plan is to rebuild it as the frame and engine are matching number correct and even if i got s Gpz lump to put in it i could be buying more of the same.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: tlc » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 pm

I feel for you Swampy.
I bought a GP engine for £350, barrels and head for £180 and cams for, well let's just say the bike I parted is still offsetting some of the £500 I bought it for.
Then spending £3.5k at Debbens.

I now have a very expensive engine.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: swampy » Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 am

I think the bill will end up in the 4k region.

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 am

what about buying the motor in for sale in the for sale section or buy a low milage gpz1100 running bike and breaking it ,if you can find one good and cheep enough,

Richard L
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Richard L » Mon May 02, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Swampy
Finding a Unitrak engine that is both good and cheap is not easy and you will end up with 2 wrecked engines if you are not careful . I bought one off here and although usable had not been rebuilt in 30 years , so after a trip to Debbens my wallet is 2k lighter and my brother still has to put it all back together , but at least I now have a good one .
I was very sorry to hear about your experience I saw that one and it was very tempting but with prices these bikes are fetching it also attracts less reputable types .
Your estimate of 4k is not far off the mark , good luck with sorting it but be aware that these are old bikes and can be a never ending expense , I have spent more money than sense on my B2 which was a similar story to yours and that was because I couldn't afford an 1100r , but would I do it again ?
Yes everytime !! Good luck with it.

Richard

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: swampy » Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes i agree with both of the above comments but if i buy a b2 lump and its in the same nick now i have 2 lumps of scrap metal. So that is why i have commited to the build by my friend Dave C from mertek m/c's.

The problem is parts and getting hold of them we have a source for output shaft bearings. But also then discovered that the clutch basket centre bush is within 0.001mm of being f$#@ed,can i find one NO so if anybody has one or a member who can make one for a sensible price please let me know. I need help here lads with locating parts! Would i do it again Yes i love these bikes.
Last edited by swampy on Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: swampy » Wed May 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Also desirable is a set of hd clutch back plate springs, do you know of a set anyone?
Yet more good news is the rebuilt crank that has done zero road miles since rebuild now has to go back to SEP in Kegworth to get the once over and cost me even more money. Unless some has something like a Falicon going good a good price.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed May 04, 2016 6:19 pm

APE (Debbens?) do clutch basket repair kits :wink:

Go for it lad..... we're with you :twisted:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: swampy » Wed May 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Best i give him a call tomo.

Thanks for the support Pigford.

pluto
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: pluto » Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm

I have a spare unitrac clutch complete, basket, plates,bush etc. It came out of a runnning bike and has been in my workshop for a few years but I've not checked it properly yet. Pm me if this would help.
Dave

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun May 08, 2016 12:42 pm

does any body know what cranks will fit my bike and part no: as i have found a NOS crank for a 1000elr no: 1031-1046 will it fit please help me quick before somone else nabs it.

pluto
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: pluto » Sun May 08, 2016 3:20 pm

1100R uses a unitrac engine, the 1000R is like the 1000j and gpz1100b2. Unitrac uses 18mm small ends against 17mm on the early bikes and has much lighter crankshaft webs. So no it wont be suitable.

swampy
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: swampy » Sun May 08, 2016 3:33 pm

ho hum better keep looking then.

Return to “Projects”