Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

My newly acquired '77 kz900a5

Post pictures of your bikes without having to pull them to bits to qualify for Projects. Club eligible Z based bikes only please, anything else should be in the bottom shed.
Please use it wisely and be respectful of other peoples' pride and joy....
garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#16 PostAuthor: garyd » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Garry.L wrote:
garyd wrote:Don't restore it....it'll be just another restored bike.

keep it as it is..just fix the bit's that need it and have an true 'original'

But that would mean leaving 'that' seat on whilst actually riding the bike on actual roads..... a new Lid might be in order then....

O.K. I'll budge on the seat...and the dent in the tank but would love to have a well worn but functional old zed.
Last edited by garyd on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:44 am

Garry.L wrote:A little random, but I wonder how many Nebraska A5's are over 'ere?.

I think mostly A5's coming over now

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 am

Always was aware of the A5 but what are the differences?apart from a5 is later year.
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 am

PAULJAC47 wrote:Always was aware of the A5 but what are the differences?apart from a5 is later year.

I believe they are the same as the A4, just built using the left over parts. However, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong....

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Giveaway for an A5 is the rear disc.

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

chrisu

#21 PostAuthor: chrisu » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Ginger Bear wrote:Giveaway for an A5 is the rear disc.

not always - many had rear drums

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Hmm, my research had led me to believe they were all drums like the A5. However, given the A5 was built using left over parts, maybe they ran out of drums and started using the disc arrangement used on the Ltd and 1000a1 model?

Mine has a drum.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Ultim8pc wrote:

Hmm, my research had led me to believe they were all drums like the A5. However, given the A5 was built using left over parts, maybe they ran out of drums and started using the disc arrangement used on the Ltd and 1000a1 model?

Mine has a drum.

My understanding was A5 simply denoted bikes built in Nebraska.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#24 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 am

Garry.L wrote:
Ultim8pc wrote:My understanding was A5 simply denoted bikes built in Nebraska.

Yes this is correct I believe.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:42 am

Well, I'll stand corrected. :??

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D

Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#26 PostAuthor: Charlie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:44 am

One of (if not THE) best seat restorers/modifiers is just around the corner from you. Tony Archer in Huddersfield http://tonyarcher.co.uk/

He is near the football stadium.

Its one of those small personal type places where you speak to the guy himself (or his lad) and he delivers when he says he will. He had done a few seats for me, I would not use anyone else now.

Nice Z9 BTW, all that needs now is the front and back end from that Rex alongside dropping in :lol: Might as well shoehorn the 1200 motor in there too and you have a cracking Z1200 :wink: :wink:
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Bit of an update:
o Given the bike a good clean and polish and coated the chrome and alloy in ACF50 as I don't have any time to do much with it until at least April
o Upon further inspection, the brown stuff in the petrol tank is not rust, it's just residue
o The 'modification' to the wiring harness is for the Dyna electronic ignition. However, looking at the fitting instructions, the method employed was overkill..
o The end baffle in the Kerker has some holes, but can be removed do it should be possible to carry out a repair without too much hassle
o Have contacted a couple of people about reshaping and recovering the seat in the standard manner. Haven't decided who to go with yet
o Removed the damaged engine crash bars
o Now starts on the second prob of the starter
o Just received my NOVA letter from HRMC so I am one step closer to getting a V5
o Front brake is horrifically bad!
o Clutch is very stiff - I have lubed the cable to see if that helps, if not a new cable will be fitted
o I am going to check compression, valve cleanances, strip the carbs and clean, refurb and setup as necessary. If all is well I will not be stripping the engine.
o Trying to find a genuine right hand side panel and badge
o On the lookout for a better tank with original paint as I want to avoid a full repaint - but let's see

Cheers

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Garry.L wrote:
Ultim8pc wrote:

Mine has a drum.

My understanding was A5 simply denoted bikes built in Nebraska.

From Z POWER website 1976 Z900-A4
A few extra models rolled off the American production line in Lincoln in 1977 known as the KZ900-A5.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Bit of an update:
Looked into getting the seat recovered, but due to their sale pricing I have ordered a PMC seat from Saisei. I'll probably still get the Ltd seat recovered in the future.

Even though I said I wasn't going to be doing much I have been having a go at cleaning up the bare alloy on the engine cases and block. Wire wool and degreaser seems to work well.

I think I'm going to have a go at refurbishing the switch gear. What paint would anyone recommend for the 'right' finish? (And before anyone says 'black'...).

As the headlight outer and inner are both damaged I need to purchase a rim set. Anyone recommend a particular make? I know of Emgo, Doremi and PMC, I'm sure there are others.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#30 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Charlie wrote:One of (if not THE) best seat restorers/modifiers is just around the corner from you. Tony Archer in Huddersfield http://tonyarcher.co.uk/

He is near the football stadium.

Its one of those small personal type places where you speak to the guy himself (or his lad) and he delivers when he says he will. He had done a few seats for me, I would not use anyone else now.

Nice Z9 BTW, all that needs now is the front and back end from that Rex alongside dropping in :lol: Might as well shoehorn the 1200 motor in there too and you have a cracking Z1200 :wink: :wink:

he used to be ,another one now that seems to take his time ,been there done that ,moved on to another speaclist that delivers on time ,so many trades are good to start of with ,then the more popular they get ,the more the service goes down hill

Return to “Show us Yours”