Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Introduction for newbie. z1000LTD.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

Introduction for newbie. z1000LTD.

#1 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi guys I'm Lee from Aylesbury and I'm an alcoholic....!!!! Ah shit wrong site!

Sorry what i mean is... Hi guys. I'm Lee from Aylesbury and I have recently bought a z1000LTD (K). It's the facelift 81/82model (even though its frame sticker says Nov 1980!!!)
I've had a quite a few bikes over the years all japanese. H**** cb750, an early imported gsxr 750, zephyr 1100, exup 1000, FJ1200 and my last and most beautiful and favourite of them all was an immaculate and very low miles Red zrx1100. Loved it.
Alas I hit 50 in October and decided a classic was in order and found my LTD1000. It's a canadian import so is in really good unrestored condition. 61K Kms.
Alas I have a few issues to sort out such as registration, mot and getting the bloody thing to run.
When I viewed it as a non-runner the guy sprayed the airbox with carb cleaner and it ran for 3 seconds so I bought it.
Trouble is i've checked the carbs and the sparks and it all works but after turning it over and getting it running firstly with carb cleaner and then eventually it stayed running with fuel, it won't start again!!!It's as though the petrol won't pump into the bores!!??
It ran really rough so I removed the carbs and stripped them. I was assured they had been 'ultrasonically' cleaned. I've put new airscrews in and new bottom gaskets, adjusted the butterflys but need settings for the air and the vacuum setting up. does anyone know anyone in the Aylesbury area i can speak to please.
The carb repair kit was slightly different, that's why I've not replaced everything.
Sorry if I bored anyone, I'm very passionate about bikes and really want to get it running and roadworthy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Thanks to the FB guys that got me on here..you know who you are!!!
javascript:emoticon(':P')
:P

Farmer
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: Farmer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Ha, you seem to be having the same problems I had with mine, I had the carbs ultrasonic cleaned and changed the carb to engine rubbers and after completely losing the will to live l changed the air box to carb rubbers, I changed the spark plugs for densos as NGKs are shite, keep with it, it took me a while to get mine running fairly good, personally I'm having a love hate time with my J engine. :D
1981 KZ1000 K1 LTD

Farm Boy with an O Level in Metalwork and not much else.

Everything in Sussex is a She, Except Tom Cat and She`s a He.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Al » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Seasonal greetings Lee and welcome to the site.
Typically people miss the pilot jets in the float bowls when ultrasonically cleaning CV's because they are hidden beneath a small aluminium plug!
If its a starting issue theres a place to start.
Also the PRI position on the fuel tap will give a constant flow regardless of running or otherwise!

If you need an answer to something and youre in a hurry best do it before 8.30 pm as were all tucked up in bed with a mug of bovril by then
:D

AL
1981 J1

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: tlc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:01 am

Hi Lee.
I too bought a J engined bike, actually a J, which had been standing for years.

Helpfully, or maybe not, I am within the Aylesbury Vale area and have my bike stripped at the moment.
I would suspect Zorded is correct in his suggestion that the pilots are your problem. They certainly were on mine at first.

I have PM'd you my number if you wish to speak.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:27 am

Hi Good intro,always advice on here,helps to have a sense of humour too :lol:
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 am

the carbs are still on the bench so I'll strip again. Thanks lads. :D

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:31 am

and lasses !!!

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 am

My J carbs also had blocked pilots, very blocked and were gits to get out, I had to soak them in carb cleaner and use a small screwdriver and mallet to break the seal of brown gunge that was holding them into the carbs.

My J engine is also in bits awaiting some threads to be repaired in the cylinder head - though it's now an 1170

Redbeard
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Redbeard » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Lee from Aylesbury. Be good to meet up with a fellow zed owner in the new year. Get the pilot jets and levels sorted, the blasted carbs are the main cause of grief. All the best, Adam
1979 Z1000ST

Leelofty101
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: Leelofty101 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:39 am

Thanks again. Seems to be the norm that the carb internals are fucked!!!

Return to “Bike Help”